Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why would anyone ever color change a 914?, especially a sunflower yellow car
RickS
post Jan 17 2020, 12:15 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 15 2020, 11:47 AM) *

Because Silver 914s are ugly that’s why I changed color.

I couldn’t agree more. I just HATE it. Maybe I’ll paint it pink just for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Jan 17 2020, 02:05 AM
Post #42

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That’s what makes the world go round. It’s why we all have so many flavors of ice cream. It’s not a one size fits all. Some like their car original, others modified... some it’s all about show, others it’s about go.

For me it’s about originality. I’d rather have a car as it came from the factory. And if I ever did sell it, it would probably be purchased by someone who thought the same.
+Quote Post
dt4
post Jan 17 2020, 03:02 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 23,161
Region Association: England

Each to their own, my car had had a colour change at some point, originally red, it had been repainted in a metallic green. Dylan thought it might have been a Pontiac colour.
I wanted a period colour and like Green so chose Zambesi.
There are Porsche Greens that I prefer but they weren't 914 colours or correct for the model year so I stuck with Zambesi.
I actually changed my mind the day after ordering the paint and was going to go for Irish green but my paint guy had already mixed the paint so it was a done deal.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jan 17 2020, 06:52 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 15 2020, 01:56 PM) *

are you the guy in the shorty shorts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
justme
post Jan 18 2020, 09:50 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 7,413
Region Association: North East States

My car was originally silver, then red, then black when I got it ( Earl Shieb?) so after looking at the bad paint I decided to tear it down and start over....with SO
After being neglected for 9 years it's finally getting put back together!Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 18 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #46

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

NO I HAVEN'T!!!! just had too many tech calls coming in! (not that I mind them keep the calls coming!)

I certainly agree that it is the owners right to change the color to what ever one he likes and we cannot chastise him about it unless asked for an opinion, but as previously stated, color changing is incredibly hard to do, very very few ever do it properly, and it horribly devalues the car, and is twice as hard to change it back.

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 15 2020, 10:22 PM) *

Appears the good DR has gone quiet due to amount of guys that have colour changed,@ the end of the day it is what the owners wants to do as mentioned I like my silver but would like Ivory White because it is so serviceable and easy to touch up and it works for these cars.
My last full resto (and last) was a 87 euro Golf GTI in Alpine White looked really sharp.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jan 18 2020, 11:29 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 8,476

My neighbor shipped his Testarossa back to Ferrari to have it changed from red to yellow. Go figure. I wonder what that cost.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 18 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #48

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

My car is original black with a respray in the 80s. It looks terrible now. I live in the Vegas desert. I will not be painting it black when the time comes. With the engine swap I am free to pick any color, but I am looking to keep it in the family (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
luvatenor
post Jan 18 2020, 12:26 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 11,154

My 74' 914 was originally painted L96M- Marathon Blue. It was owned by a woman in California, and was stolen in the mid 90's. It was recovered without any mechanical or physical damage. However, the woman, as in a house burglary, felt the car was 'dirty', and would not drive it until it was completely stripped and repainted. She chose a blue champagne color, not a Porsche color. I have received many compliments about the color, even though I would have preferred the original factory color. Here is the car today:Attached Image
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jan 18 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Ok so if my car was in great shape and has original paint, matching numbers, etc. I would have gone a different route. But none of the above was true with it.

72 originally Silver, then Orange, then Black and back to silver. The amount of money I have invested I will never get back IF I ever considered selling it but this car will never be sold and will be given to my son at some point. So I guess he's stuck with the color or choice to change it back.

It's a color from a GT4 I love it and am very happy with it. There is not a spec of the old colors since it was completely stripped to bare metal.

Does it reduce the value having done this? To me - NO. To potential buyer most likely.

But it's not for sale so who cares. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 18 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #51

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Thank you very much Rob (@BeatNavy; Kent Simmons, (Auto Art Customs in Torrance, CA) is a true master. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 18 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #52

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 15 2020, 05:09 PM) *

I color changed a car from one shade of blue to another. I was happy with it for the first five years and then slowly came to regret the decision.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) I regret it too.. Because both Betty and I love the color on the car. But it is not the original color, so eventually it will be painted back to the factory color.

I color changed my 73 six conversion. It was Delphi Green metallic. But after sitting in a field for years before my friend bought it, the paint had faded to OD green. Two drunks painting it with rattle can black, and twice being hit by 3/4 ton Ford pickups, there wasn't much left of the original color. A full strip and repaint turned him Bahia red, including all the trunks, engine compartment, and floorpans. I am incredibly happy with the color change. But I will admit, I kept one small bolt on part that is still Delphi Green Metallic. It can't be seen, and I will never tell anyone where it is.

+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jan 18 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My thoughts on color changes. If done right and it's a great color....no harm, no foul. You'll always find a buyer if it's a high quality paint job with the right color. Only the most anal of Porsche purists will complain. Life's short...live it like you want.
+Quote Post
aggiezig
post Jan 18 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #54

Porsche Wannabe

Member No.: 19,557
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 18 2020, 06:26 PM) *

My thoughts on color changes. If done right and it's a great color....no harm, no foul. You'll always find a buyer if it's a high quality paint job with the right color. Only the most anal of Porsche purists will complain. Life's short...live it like you want.

+1
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 19 2020, 09:11 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Painting my project is months away, but voices are telling me to change the color.

When time for painting, it will be a completely stripped, bare shell, with doors and lids off, and in need of paint in much of the inside. Thus a color change can be done "properly".

The original color is Bahia Red, which I do like. And while I have the original engine confirmed by the COA, by the time I am done, the body will be a bit of a Franken-car, with replacement sheet metal in the front right, rear right and trunk floor, passenger floor, and substitute left door, and both trunk lids. So not an "original" car that a picky buyer might be looking for someday.

Am I right in thinking that any loss in value from changing the color would not be significant compared to the reduced value given the restoration history?

And FWIW the most tempting color (today) is Saturn Yellow. Or maybe Olympic Blue. Or...
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 20 2020, 07:48 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Color change ?
Because I started with a very colorful blank canvas.
Originally Palma green metallic. A beautiful color.
Repair of metallic ? No thanks.
I chose Light ivory, it's subtle, period correct and repairable.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:33 AM