Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has anyone ever made a 914/8 clone?, Or am I off my rocker?
sixnotfour
post Jan 17 2020, 08:38 AM
Post #41

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Visual Clone, wolf coat on a sheep... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) quad eyes

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jan 17 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #42

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

908 replica engine group buy anyone?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 17 2020, 11:33 AM
Post #43

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jan 17 2020, 06:52 AM) *

908 replica engine group buy anyone?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jan 17 2020, 04:55 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

the easiest way is a billet block, custom extended crank and cams. Fab up an intake and exhaust and you're ready to go.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 18 2020, 07:48 AM
Post #45

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I really like that IO-720 but the price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

You would still need to shorten the stroke to increase.the RPM range. Welding a Porsche case would be way cheaper. You could use the 720 crank throw positioning as the start to have a crank machined. Same with the cam lobe positioning.

The case is the easy part. It's the crank and cam that pose the challenge.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 18 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #46

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 17 2020, 05:58 AM) *

Best solution is 2 polo motors coupled.. Any GA lycoming is not a good solution.. Just designed around low rpm high TQ.

What you all are missing is the motor as an aircraft engine is set up for low rpm. While the displacement is large for the pistons. The rpm is a function of crank rod and cam. The case makes no real difference it’s just that. Lubrication would have to be addressed also. But from a cost standpoint the T2 case will be cheaper, probably a better candidate. Still, as Andy said. Unless you make the 8 at least as close as you can to factory, why bother?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 18 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Give Polo a call, maybe he wants a project to bookend with his beautiful motor!
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Jan 18 2020, 04:37 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 19,935

Front 2/3rds of a Corvair case and rear 2/3rds of a Corvair case would make a flat fan c. 4 litre horizontally opposed 8 cylinder engine. Corvair cases are cheap c.f Porsche cases.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 18 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #49

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 18 2020, 07:48 AM) *

I really like that IO-720 but the price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

You would still need to shorten the stroke to increase.the RPM range. Welding a Porsche case would be way cheaper. You could use the 720 crank throw positioning as the start to have a crank machined. Same with the cam lobe positioning.

The case is the easy part. It's the crank and cam that pose the challenge.

Rick,
I disagree.... the crank would be the easy part, just time consuming. Get a bunch of 911 cranks, and machine them into pieces that can be bolted together to make any firing order you want. I would use the late 908 firing order. The early one had problems with third order harmonics.

The cases would be harder. You have to cut two cases and weld the two half cases together. You need to put little alignment sleeves in all the oil galleries to keep them aligned. And you have to use 3.0 SC cases or newer to make them. Welding magnesium cases frightens me.

You also have to extend the cam carriers like you did for the case. Then, to make the cams, you get two pairs, of cams, cut up into pieces. Assemble and time the front lobes, then add the next one back, time it, and tack weld it. Do the same until each cylinder is timed, and the cam is tack welded. Pull it apart, then finish weld the cams, or send them off to be duplicated as a solid cam.

Sounds easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 18 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 18 2020, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 17 2020, 05:58 AM) *

Best solution is 2 polo motors coupled.. Any GA lycoming is not a good solution.. Just designed around low rpm high TQ.

What you all are missing is the motor as an aircraft engine is set up for low rpm. While the displacement is large for the pistons. The rpm is a function of crank rod and cam. The case makes no real difference it’s just that. Lubrication would have to be addressed also. But from a cost standpoint the T2 case will be cheaper, probably a better candidate. Still, as Andy said. Unless you make the 8 at least as close as you can to factory, why bother?

Totally get it. My former life as and aircraft engine rebuilder helped me to get a really good understanding of the limitations..

Your right on though..
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 18 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #51

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

None of this is hard, not the case, not the crank, cams, cam towers, etc... It just takes serious $$$$ to do one off parts.

Hell you could 3D print all this stuff in PLA and sand cast it.

Again very doable, but my friends with serious money are not into 914s. And they would not drop a dime on this project. So you have to find a combination. Someone who loves 914s, and the 914-8 specifically, and the monetary means to pull this project off.

Engineering and building wise, is the easiest part of the build.

But @Mikey914 I am currently not happy with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I find that my spare time now has been spent figuring out how to do this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I don't need another project in my head right now. I have about 5 of them that have been designed and ready in my head. 914-6 restomod. 914 EG conversion. an AWD Karmann Ghia with Subaru Power. A Dual cab AWD Subaru power. A Willys Pickup with X-drive and a N54 swap. And now a 914-8 with a working 3.0L 8 cylinder, making about 400HP. This does not include all the machine tools, and workshop projects I have yet to build.

But the one that is kicking me right now is transmission. So many choices beside 908 box.

I should have stuck with building scale models, so much cheaper, and I could have all these cool car ideas that as of right now, I can not afford but a couple.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 19 2020, 12:15 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 18 2020, 07:08 PM) *

None of this is hard, not the case, not the crank, cams, cam towers, etc... It just takes serious $$$$ to do one off parts.

Again very doable, but my friends with serious money are not into 914s. And they would not drop a dime on this project. So you have to find a combination. Someone who loves 914s, and the 914-8 specifically, and the monetary means to pull this project off.

But @Mikey914 I am currently not happy with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I find that my spare time now has been spent figuring out how to do this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I don't need another project in my head right now. I have about 5 of them that have been designed and ready in my head. 914-6 restomod. 914 EG conversion. an AWD Karmann Ghia with Subaru Power. A Dual cab AWD Subaru power. A Willys Pickup with X-drive and a N54 swap. And now a 914-8 with a working 3.0L 8 cylinder, making about 400HP. This does not include all the machine tools, and workshop projects I have yet to build.

But the one that is kicking me right now is transmission. So many choices beside 908 box.

I should have stuck with building scale models, so much cheaper, and I could have all these cool car ideas that as of right now, I can not afford but a couple.

Let me add one to your list that has been in my head for a long time.

A W12 VW Phaeton engine and Boxster/Cayman six speed transmission in a 914.

The engine and trans share a common bolt pattern for the bell housing, the clutch parts from the Cayman should work. Maybe need a custom flywheel. Fitment should be no problem as engine is actually shorter than a 911 six cylinder. Put a Cayman rear suspension under it. Use a V-8 radiator kit. Aftermarket EFI.

Then you can have a real 914-12.

+Quote Post
73-914
post Jan 19 2020, 06:40 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 19 2020, 01:15 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 18 2020, 07:08 PM) *

Let me add one to your list that has been in my head for a long time.

A W12 VW Phaeton engine and Boxster/Cayman six speed transmission in a 914.

The engine and trans share a common bolt pattern for the bell housing, the clutch parts from the Cayman should work. Maybe need a custom flywheel. Fitment should be no problem as engine is actually shorter than a 911 six cylinder. Put a Cayman rear suspension under it. Use a V-8 radiator kit. Aftermarket EFI.

Then you can have a real 914-12.

I like it The W8 would be a good fit also
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 19 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #54

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 18 2020, 08:08 PM) *

Ask Catorse how much he has into the tooling for new 3.6 cases. I think it's north of quarter mil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Also ask him how "easy" it was to do.

https://www.taorminaracingdesigns.com/produ...-6-engine-case/

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/rennlist.com-419-1502636405.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.taorminaracingdesigns.com-26-1579442177.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2020, 08:08 AM
Post #55

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Easy, and he is building for a market. This would be a one off.

Okay well if it goes like a 906 windshield, I will have to make 10 to get the one I need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The W12 - W8 engines are an interesting piece of engineering, never got to the point of wanting to swap them in anything.

And I keep coming back to if I am building a 914 with all the comforts, and handling of a Cayman, then why not just build the Cayman. It is a really awesome chassis. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
W12 Cayman (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 19 2020, 09:32 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2020, 08:08 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Easy, and he is building for a market. This would be a one off.

Okay well if it goes like a 906 windshield, I will have to make 10 to get the one I need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The W12 - W8 engines are an interesting piece of engineering, never got to the point of wanting to swap them in anything.

And I keep coming back to if I am building a 914 with all the comforts, and handling of a Cayman, then why not just build the Cayman. It is a really awesome chassis. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
W12 Cayman (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The only reason the W-12 idea has not already been done is they are hard to find.

Clay
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #57

Just to keep this going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #58

Just purchase a donor car

+Quote Post
Detroit
post Jan 19 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 20,709

As someone who designs engines for a living, I'd have to say, "Yes, you are off your rocker." Unless, of course, money has no meaning to you.
That said, IF you have the ability to build the cast tooling yourself, it might not be a mortgage your house endeavor. And at that point you may even create a bit of a market for a '908 build kit' for guys considering -6 conversions or building 904 replicas...
Because let's face it, why would you go through all the effort for a 911 soundtrack when you could listen to something closer to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eee2d9oknyM
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jan 19 2020, 12:32 PM
Post #60

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2020, 09:08 AM) *

@914forme I'm not happy with you for that idea like you're not happy with @Mikey914

jerk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:34 AM