Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift rod - Update- new brass bushings, and another option-a 911 coupler from Rauch & Spiegel, Is this a normal looking rod? And how the heck do I get the pin out?
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 19 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #21

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

911 has an oval hole in the bushings that won't work with the 914. You will still have to change bushings on the new unit
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 19 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #22

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mlindner @ Jan 19 2020, 07:26 AM) *

DrPhil, if all fails, I do have a nice one for sale $75.00. Mark

I appreciate the offer, if I mess anything up I will get in touch. For now the plan when I get back tomorrow is to attempt pressing the pin thru, and reassembly with either bronze or stock bushings I have both. I forgot to order new cone screws so I am hoping some red thread lock would be ok.
Mark is right no reason to reinvent the wheel here- I guess I am curious about that one aftermarket coupling, and feel like it could be used if the stock one were damaged in removal. You’d still use stock bar but no sense spending $$ where I don’t need to.

Next issue is to fix oil leak I am getting from the oil pressure relief valve plug- I am otherwise leak free.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 20 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #23

Dr. Phil

Ok tried getting the pin to move with clamp press method , no-go.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 20 2020, 08:06 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 20 2020, 09:01 PM) *

Ok tried getting the pin to move with clamp press method , no-go.

Take it to your regular auto repair shop. They should be able to press it out and in in 5 minutes.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 30 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

Posting an update! I had given up after taking my bar to 2 different places that didn’t want to mess with it or were worried about messing up the coupling, so I mad arrangement to get a nice bar from Bruce Stone, and send it to Rauch and Spiegel in Co. you 911 and 356 guys know them as the company that makes the billet coupler unit that is a replacement for stock, btw this is identical to stock spec wise and is same as ours, the only difference is end of the bar on ours is welded to the real linkage bar, on 911 it is not as you can see in the pictures. Anyway Rauch will install their coupler, bushing and pin on our bar. The pin is different in that it has 2 cone screws that retain it rather than depending on the splines that’s are in a stock pin that hold it in place. So they will still and tap our bar end to be secured with their coupler!!
Now I suppose one could have them just send me the coupler and use the stock pin with any bushings desired as well, but I am having mine done by them, and will post the pictures of this when it come in. Rauch has been super cool to work with and amazing to offer to do this for just one person!
Meanwhile back at the ranch, I went out a bought a big heavy duty bench vice and after soaking my bar/pin in pb blaster , using the socket method I finally got it to budge!!!, and once extracted thru a 1 hour process , I cleaned off all rust from the pin, and using the bronze bushings reinstalled the bar to the car. I also got the bronze console bushing from 914werks and a firewall bushing from RIX914PARTS, and the new rear and feont covers from 914rubber.
Here are a couple pictures. Shifting is super tight and smooth, I would liken it to the Boxster for tightness now.
Bruce has a jig to align the bars . I think most people that have issues still have the issues due to bent or miss alignment of bars!
I have to thank Bruce for taking time to talk on the phone and help me out. I will be getting the other bar later on and will install it to compare the feel of these.
I think it’s great to have an option for a super nice coupler replacement.

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 30 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 30 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #27

Dr. Phil

i wish I had taken better pictures of the pin to show how the 3 spines are. its like they made a little cut and it causes it to bow out just enough that this is why it is hard to get them out. With mine it was original and never out before, so I had a good bit of rust holding it in as well. Once I had it out and cleaned it up with some 1000grit sand paper, it was much easier to press it into place, but still not easy and this is good. I also had to file smooth the ends since I had marred the one end from trying to strike it with a hammer. anyway if you do this and it is really easy to press it into place, you might want to do what Rauch and Spiegel does and drill and counter sink and tap for a threaded set screw to make sure the pin does not come out.

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 30 2020, 02:11 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here is mine using the later stouter 911 coupler. 911 has extra gussets. Used anti-seize compound on pin because of difference of metal.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 30 2020, 05:27 PM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 30 2020, 03:11 PM) *

Here is mine using the later stouter 911 coupler. 911 has extra gussets. Used anti-seize compound on pin because of difference of metal.

I saw those on like and wondered how they fit, looks good! I probably should have used one of those rather than the weaker stock cast one. Good to know we do have a few options if the original is damaged or lost. The bronze bushings make it super tight don’t they!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 21 2020, 08:51 AM
Post #30

Dr. Phil

Update:

Just got a couple pictures of that shift linkage and coupler that I had done at Rauch and Spiegel in Colorado. I did this when I was having difficulty getting the pin out of mine and thought it was not going to come out clean, so I started to research the 911 couplers that are available. There is the factory one that 914sixer used pictured in a previous post in this thread, and this one here by Rauch. I bought the powder coated bar from Bruce Stone, @bdstone thanks Bruce!! He sent this to Rauch for me and they installed their bushing(round derlin) and their coupler and pin system. This requires drilling a tapping the end of the bar for the set screws that hold the pin. So if this were ever to be replaced it’s as easy as removing the set screws and not having to press the pin out like in the stock application. The factory never intended these to have to be replaced so once pressed out and in again it’s possible it will not stay,
Especially under heavy load and use like DE and racing. I was able to get my other one out so I installed the brass bushing and I have to say it feels very tight!
Once I get the new bar and coupler from Rauch next week I will install it and see how it feels and report back.

George at Rauch said he has done others for 914 owners but I have not heard of anyone to this point around here that has used this coupler on their 914. I though you all would appreciate knowing there is an alternative out there .

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Feb 21 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

That s the first time I have seen the bronze coupler bushings. Who sells them?

I already have the bronze shifter console bushing. and it was a little stiff until it wore in some.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 21 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #32

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 21 2020, 07:58 PM) *

I already have the bronze shifter console bushing. and it was a little stiff until it wore in some.

I bought them on E-Bay.

They are tight.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Feb 23 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #33

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 21 2020, 04:58 PM) *

Pelican Parts has them listed.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...T_pg2.htm#item5
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:37 AM