Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Parade, Non Porsche Engines
DickSteinkamp
post Jan 20 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,876
Region Association: None

The Porsche Parade TY is in Palm Springs in June. I'd at a minimum like to attend, and at best take my Chevy V8 powered 914.

I'm not yet a PCA member.

I've been told that the PCA does not recognize Porsches with non Porsche engines...even in their "Modified" classes. True?

Can I join the PCA with a Chevy powered Porsche?

Can I bring it to the Parade in some sort of "display only" category?

Maybe this? (in the December Panorama in the article on the Parade)...

"The Historics Display is again part of this perfect setting. Its theme this year is California Dreamin', representing the free spirit and creativity of Porsche owners. The display will feature restored older model Porsches with modern equipment, outlandish paint, and other appointments, often called "outlaws." No factory-stock Porsches at this year's display!"

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Manny Alban
post Jan 20 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,798

I know Werks Reunion is open to PCA and non PCA members and will allow certain replicas and non Porsche powered models in the corral. I believe Parade is a bit more strict and require you to be a PCA member in order to participate and have a Porsche with a Porsche engine and chassis. There's certain older 'specials' that they allow that are not a Porsche chassis (such as the Elva). If you want to be 100% sure, call the national office at 410-381-0911 or email them at admin@pca.org
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jan 20 2020, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am more than sure that a Chevy V8 powered any kind of Porsche will not be allowed to compete in any of the Parade events.
It's just the way it's always been and will likely always be.

At a minimum, you can certainly attend and bring any flavor of vehicle you like.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jan 21 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

PCA- "We want an Outlaw group"
Me- *Pulls up in Subaru powered 914*
PCA- "Your kind aren't welcome here!"

What a #$&@ joke and they wonder why their membership numbers keep declining.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 21 2020, 02:17 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 21 2020, 07:10 AM) *

"Only lightly modified 356 cars are eligible for the outlaw group" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Manny Alban
post Jan 21 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #6

Last time the membership declined was in 2008. Since that it's been rising every month. It's a volunteer organization. If you don't agree with something get involved.

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 20 2020, 10:10 PM) *

+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Jan 21 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #7

I was somewhat encouraged when a friend showed me this in last month's Panorama describing the Outlaw display class for this year's event...

"Its theme this year is California Dreamin', representing the free spirit and creativity of Porsche owners."

I did write PCA on Manny's suggestion. There is no class for judging or even display that I could enter at the Parade , and with a non-Porsche engine I can't join the PCA.

I did "crash" the Seattle PCA chapter's meet at Carillon Point last fall, but my car looks so stock I don't think anyone noticed until I was parked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) It rumbles a little and when I was driving in someone remarked to me that it was the 3rd 914-6 at the meet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (BTW, a bunch of nice, friendly Porsche owners at that meet. Lots of interest in the car. They even gave me a 3rd in class award (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I don't think they were only being polite, but if they were it works for me)

I do think it is perfectly OK for the PCA to limit their focus to Porsche and Porsche power. I would guess that focus would please the large majority of the members and potential members.

I've written the Werks Reunion also. It is the 14th of August in Monterey. I'll post when they answer my eMail.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jan 21 2020, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,446

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Jan 21 2020, 06:39 AM) *

Last time the membership declined was in 2008. Since that it's been rising every month. It's a volunteer organization. If you don't agree with something get involved.

I'd like to see the data to back that up and how many are new cars vs classics. (Don't you get a PCA membership for free with a new one?)

PCA is known through out the automotive culture as pompous and pretentious group, it's ashame they won't do anything to change that image.

No, I won't join as I don't give my money or time to an organization who can't see the joy in owning a Porsche and making it your own no matter how custom you want it.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 21 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

When I brought my 914 to a PCA autocross they were really confused, and the tech guy got a little frustrated. But they did give me the Steve McQueen award for spirited driving. The best way to bringing the new guys into liking the old cars, is bring them out. Show them where it all started.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 21 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 21 2020, 07:50 AM) *

I'd like to see the data to back that up and how many are new cars vs classics. (Don't you get a PCA membership for free with a new one?)

PCA is known through out the automotive culture as pompous and pretentious group, it's ashame they won't do anything to change that image.

No, I won't join as I don't give my money or time to an organization who can't see the joy in owning a Porsche and making it your own no matter how custom you want it.

I joined PCA 20+ years ago for the parts discounts and autocross. Auto cross is open to other cars as long as you own a Porsche. Curious how that effects other motors?
Lately the OC PCA has moved there autocross To POC and discounts are spotty.
I do enjoy the magazine and attending some Porsche events like the Parade and Concours, but I don’t compete. Too lazy to wash my car!!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Manny Alban
post Jan 21 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #11

Regions are free to decide if they want to allow non-Porsches or non-Porsche powered cars in their events. As far as I know, the only events where a Porsche is required (and be powered by a Porsche engine or motor) is the Parade and Club Racing.
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Jan 21 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 21 2020, 07:50 AM) *

It's a volunteer organization. If you don't agree with something get involved.

I'd like to see the data to back that up and how many are new cars vs classics.

It's tough to get involved if you can't join. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

In my sample of one event, There were probably 50-80 Porsches there. 2 356's, 1 912, 12 914s (the featured model of the show) and a couple of early 911s. The rest were what I would categorize as modern enough as to be daily drivers ( but I'm pretty much living in the past. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Jan 21 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Jan 21 2020, 09:26 AM) *

Regions are free to decide if they want to allow non-Porsches or non-Porsche powered cars in their events. As far as I know, the only events where a Porsche is required (and be powered by a Porsche engine or motor) is the Parade and Club Racing.

I wonder if you can join a region and not the national?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 21 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 20 2020, 10:10 PM) *

THIS

Mine is "accepted" by the group but I cant compete in any events for points. I can autox in the fun class, but cant go to concourse or similar events.

Doesnt help at all that Im on the chair either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif), I've stopped going to chair meetings.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 21 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jan 21 2020, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Jan 21 2020, 09:26 AM) *

I wonder if you can join a region and not the national?

No. The region gets checks from national for each member they have.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 21 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #16

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

At Parade in Fort Worth in 2004, we had a display setup for all the 914s. One of our local guys, Richard Fisher, has a V-8 powered 914. PCA National told us he couldn't be in the display group. It was setup on a side street, so we had a sign made up for his car just like the rest of the group, and we just lifted the barrier tape and parked him at the end of the line.

Funny part was that Peter Porsche was there and spent about 30 minutes talking to Richard. At one point, Peter asked Richard to start it up so he could hear the car run.

But that was us pushing back on the rules for a static display. PCA rules state any entry in a national event must have a Porsche engine and Porsche transmission in a Porsche chassis. Rick's Alien would be legal for PCA national events, as would my 4.0 monster. But a Suby or V-8 powered car would not. And if they really enforced the rules, the first Porsche chassis was powered by a VW motor and transmission, so it would not be eligible for PCA national events either. But you know an exception would be made for it.

The PCA rulebook also says that women cannot compete against men in AX or TT events. Women have to run in the Ladies class. That rule really p1sses Betty off.

But they made the rules. If we want to play, we have to abide by them.
+Quote Post
Manny Alban
post Jan 21 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #17

I agree with you on the separate ladies class. It was explained to me years ago that it was separated as a way to encourage the women to participate in what was traditionally a male dominated event. Interesting that it doesn't apply to Club Racing. I raced against plenty of women. Of course, you didn't know who was who when they're in the race car.

FWIW, when you join PCA, they only ask for a VIN not an engine number. Parade is a different type of national event. They have a rule book just for Parade and it's four competitive events.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 21 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Jan 21 2020, 12:20 PM) *

FWIW, when you join PCA, they only ask for a VIN not an engine number. Parade is a different type of national event.

When I joined they didn't recognize my VIN, 88775. I had to call the office and they were able to figure out that yes, that is a Porsche...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 21 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #19

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Jan 21 2020, 02:20 PM) *

I agree with you on the separate ladies class. It was explained to me years ago that it was separated as a way to encourage the women to participate in what was traditionally a male dominated event. Interesting that it doesn't apply to Club Racing. I raced against plenty of women. Of course, you didn't know who was who when they're in the race car.

FWIW, when you join PCA, they only ask for a VIN not an engine number. Parade is a different type of national event. They have a rule book just for Parade and it's four competitive events.

The "Ladies" class should be optional, not mandatory. Some of the women I have seen at parade regularly beat their male spouses. So give them the choice on which class to run. As Betty says "The car doesn't care if you have boobs or balls." And it shouldn't be a "Mens" class, it should be an open class.

+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Jan 21 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Manny Alban @ Jan 21 2020, 12:20 PM) *

FWIW, when you join PCA, they only ask for a VIN not an engine number.

I think it would be dishonest to not tell the PCA that my Porsche was Chevy powered. Here is a portion of the eMail I received in response to my question, "Would the PCA accept my membership application"...

"Unfortuantely <sic>you would not be able to join"
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:26 AM