Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racing Options, Where else can I race my 914?
Orca Racing
post Feb 3 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,886
Region Association: South East States

I have a 914 lemons race car. It currently has a 2.2 liter with Webcam solid lifters and 44 IDF webers. I would like to do some vintage racing around the gulf coast. What I have the parts to go back to 2.0 and the brakes and wheels are stock. What classes/sanctioning bodies can I participate in? VRA, HSR, NASA, CVAR etc? The car was at one time an SCCA racer as I was told, but I don't have any documented history.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 3 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't know racing but (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
jmz
post Feb 3 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Orca Racing @ Feb 3 2020, 12:04 PM) *

I have a 914 lemons race car. It currently has a 2.2 liter with Webcam solid lifters and 44 IDF webers. I would like to do some vintage racing around the gulf coast. What I have the parts to go back to 2.0 and the brakes and wheels are stock. What classes/sanctioning bodies can I participate in? VRA, HSR, NASA, CVAR etc? The car was at one time an SCCA racer as I was told, but I don't have any documented history.

I race in CVAR. You would have to change the engine to 2.0 at a minimum. The club might let you run "non-compliant" for a little while and let you get the car into compliance with the rules. There are other requirements. Where are you located?
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Feb 3 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

One vintage group on the east coast is VRG (https://vrgonline.org/). I believe they classify the 2.0L 914/4 according to the old SCCA D Production class. You'd run on treaded race tires like Hoosier TDRs.

Did your car run SCCA ITA? Give us a pic!
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Feb 4 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,318

Take a look at HSR which runs at Barber and Daytona and Sebring, SVRA runs at Roebling (Ga.) and Sebring and Austin.
Let them know what you have and they'll class you in a group that's appropriate for the setup of the car as is. You'll run on track with Group 8 or Group 5 or whatever even if you're classed higher since they combine groups to fill the grid. For instance, my 2.7 /6 is classed with MP--modern production since it's overbore and underweight and has Wilwood brakes for Group 8 in SVRA. For me, I'm not competing for class trophy, just flat racing with the other folks out there having a blast. It all boils down to who's just in front of you anyway....
As for tires generally it's treaded ones like Hoosier TD's or Bridgestone RE71's (shaved) for me...
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Feb 5 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here in the NorthWest your vintage choices are SVRA and SOVREN (based out of the Seattle area). Neither are terribly picky about exact specs under the hood - they're more concerned with keeping the car in the "spirit" of how it was raced back in the day. It's considered "Gentleman" racing- meaning absolutely no contact, etc. There are frequently million dollar cars out so they don't tolerate any naughtiness.
There is also a vintage group that runs out of northern CA, but I can't remember the name of it. Sounds very similar to the clubs up here.
Other choices are SCCA and again up here only ICSCC, which runs off of the SCCA GCR rules and classes.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 5 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Go on the websites for the various organizations SVRA, VRG HSR etc. find out if there are any events near you that you would like to try. Contact them and see what they say.

Generally you will have to meet some minimum requirement for a competition license (join their club, maybe attend their driver school). Pay your entry fee, show up, pass tech. Go driving.

There may be some organizations that have enforced car standards that are trying to run competitive series, but most are just pay to run. They will Group you in a run group of cars with similar performance and off you go. Have fun, don’t be a dangerous a- hole and don’t hit anyone.
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Apr 29 2020, 11:13 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,570

Porsche Club also has a vintage group. They have been racing for 3 years now. The class does not race at many events, though I think they ran at COTA last year. They also ran somewhere near New Orleans one year. Anyway, you can check out their schedule.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:34 PM