Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making a Racecar Clone, 59 Brumos
Justinp71
post Feb 3 2020, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

So I'm thinking of making my car a street clone of the Brumos car. Basically run the decals, but still keep it street legal to drive it to car shows and the local roads. Since the Brumos car is still racing in vintage racing series is there any issue in this anyone knows of? If I showed up at Monterrey historics could I get into trouble? Still don't know for sure if I will do it, but I think it would be real cool.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmz
post Feb 3 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,886

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 3 2020, 12:22 PM) *

So I'm thinking of making my car a street clone of the Brumos car. Basically run the decals, but still keep it street legal to drive it to car shows and the local roads. Since the Brumos car is still racing in vintage racing series is there any issue in this anyone knows of? If I showed up at Monterrey historics could I get into trouble? Still don't know for sure if I will do it, but I think it would be real cool.

There are lots of Brumos clones. I don't think you will be sued if that is your concern?
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 3 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(jmz @ Feb 3 2020, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 3 2020, 12:22 PM) *

There are lots of Brumos clones. I don't think you will be sued if that is your concern?

Thanks. Yes I just have no idea what the rules are on it. Seems like everyday some one is getting in trouble for different copy right infringements.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Feb 5 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you call it what it is - a tribute - and don't try to say it's an original Brumos, I can't see what would get them in a snit over it. Use a paint code that's different (still the color but not the exact code) and there's your defense.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 5 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would just make it the way you want. Lots of race car tributes out there. 10x more in the 911 world. It’s usually only a pretty blend when you try to sell something that’s trademarked.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 5 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

If you need photos I have several hundred.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 5 2020, 08:05 PM
Post #7

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Feb 6 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

There is no way you'll get into any trouble for replicating or making your car look exactly like the Brumos car.
Have fun and enjoy your car.
Too much worry in life today.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 7 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #9

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

@URY914 Paul, yes please post all of them you want. I love 59, I have photos of the details of the car, never spent time for glamor shots. Snodgrass, and Haywood where very nice an approachable about 59. Bob even gave me some of the Haywood Cola, still have a can.

BTW 59 was cloned by Brumos originally until the real 59 reappeared out of a dirt barn floor in the lower Americas.

And run real Mini-lites if you can find them, nothing bugs me more the the ascetics of the clones. Lug holes bored into the wheel spoke, original mini-lites did not have these. It is a subtle detail that makes the wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Now make it happen, much better than some of the other choices out there.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Feb 9 2020, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,377

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 7 2020, 07:55 AM) *

@URY914 Paul, yes please post all of them you want. I love 59, I have photos of the details of the car, never spent time for glamor shots. Snodgrass, and Haywood where very nice an approachable about 59. Bob even gave me some of the Haywood Cola, still have a can.

BTW 59 was cloned by Brumos originally until the real 59 reappeared out of a dirt barn floor in the lower Americas.

And run real Mini-lites if you can find them, nothing bugs me more the the ascetics of the clones. Lug holes bored into the wheel spoke, original mini-lites did not have these. It is a subtle detail that makes the wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Now make it happen, much better than some of the other choices out there.

I know a guy that can machine mini-lite blanks to any pattern. Superb work.
https://vintageeng.com
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 12 2020, 06:42 PM
Post #11

Thanks all. What color is it? At first I was thinking he was more red, but looking at more photos I think it's more like the orangy pheonix red?

My car is Scarlet red... so it'd be a bit off. Probably still look good as a similar looking race car.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:08 AM