Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 914 Rust Repair Project
sreyemj
post Jun 4 2023, 08:59 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,821
Region Association: None

Made a bracket for the D-jet brain. Battery holder is something from amazon:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23821-1685933999.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23821-1685933999.2.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 5 2023, 04:59 AM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I just happened on this thread, and what great progress even if life gets in the way sometimes. When will she be running?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Jun 5 2023, 05:13 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 487

Nice work!
+Quote Post
sreyemj
post Jun 9 2023, 10:11 AM
Post #104

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 5 2023, 05:59 AM) *
When will she be running?

I wish I knew. Pretty close to just pulling the plug on the D-jet project. There's no real reason to mess with it on this car since it's not even an original D-jet car (other than saving money, and the experiencing 1970's FI tech) . Apparently I lost the intake/filter assembly in the last move, so more parts/expense if I want to keep the D-jet.

Dub Shop has a crank trigger/megasquirt package for 4k, might just bite the bullet and do that. That would be useful for the 2270 motor I intend to install at some point...
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 10 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Just read through your whole project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Very nice work!! Thank you for documenting. I am going through this hell myself and really appreciate the fact that you were able to do all of these repairs on the passenger side long without removing the rear fender.

Loving the headers too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sreyemj
post Jun 12 2023, 10:42 AM
Post #106

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 10 2023, 11:12 AM) *

Just read through your whole project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Very nice work!! Thank you for documenting. I am going through this hell myself and really appreciate the fact that you were able to do all of these repairs on the passenger side long without removing the rear fender.

Loving the headers too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes, although if I do another I'm going to cut the fender for sure. Very hard to weld under there. Sometimes working around a thing is much more difficult than repairing it!

Going to drop a WTB for the missing D-jet parts intake parts. Would be great to replace everything all at once, but you have to draw the line somewhere...
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jun 12 2023, 11:14 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 15,610

Love your battery and box combo. Share details please?
+Quote Post
sreyemj
post Jul 12 2023, 08:15 AM
Post #108

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 12 2023, 12:14 PM) *

Love your battery and box combo. Share details please?

It's just an Odyssey PC680 with an aluminum tray. Supposed to work well, but I have not tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/ODYSSEY-PC680-Odysse...y/dp/B0002ILK6I

https://www.odysseybatteries.com/odyssey/hd680.html
+Quote Post
sreyemj
post Jul 12 2023, 09:19 AM
Post #109

Unfortunately, some less good news. Since taking it off the rotisserie, the passenger door has rubbed when closing. I had attributed this to the door sill shrinking when I welded it back in, but it appears that the body is "twisted" (distance between the windshield and targa frame remains ok on both sides). Now the targa top overhangs on the passenger side and is flush on the driver's side. The door fit on both sides seems to indicate that the front of the car is slightly rotated (driver's front up, passenger side down).

I don't know if this happened during the restoration process, or if it's from the driver's side front hit that required the driver's front corner to be replaced many years ago. I used a laser level to keep the two longitudinal pinch welds flat while it was on the rotisserie, but was not actively measuring for "twist" in the body (next time!). The passenger longitudinal was very weakened by the prior owner drilling holes in it, and I remember the doors fitting better before. Its entirely possible I caused this issue by not cross-bracing the car (an "X" between my two braces would have been perfect).

Dr 914's videos were very helpful in diagnosing this issue, and it sounds like his frame guy can fix this given enough time and money. It would be very inconvenient to bring the car all the way to Atlanta from Texas, if he even had time to work on it. A guy at work recommended a local shop with a frame rack that did a good job on his daughter's vintage Mustang. I don't want to trade expediency for results, but given the less-than-concours nature of my 914 maybe this would be an option?

On the brighter side, I finally saw a 914 at our local cars and coffee. Great looking car, but closer inspection revealed lots of the rust issues I've spent so much time addressing! I ordered the rest of the 1.7L D-jet parts I needed, as well as a replacement ignition harness (figured I might as well replaced all the old wires). This year has me working out of town about half the time so I won't get a chance to install anything for several weeks!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 12 2023, 01:47 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(sreyemj @ Jul 12 2023, 09:19 AM) *

Unfortunately, some less good news. Since taking it off the rotisserie, the passenger door has rubbed when closing. I had attributed this to the door sill shrinking when I welded it back in, but it appears that the body is "twisted" (distance between the windshield and targa frame remains ok on both sides). Now the targa top overhangs on the passenger side and is flush on the driver's side. The door fit on both sides seems to indicate that the front of the car is slightly rotated (driver's front up, passenger side down).

I don't know if this happened during the restoration process, or if it's from the driver's side front hit that required the driver's front corner to be replaced many years ago. I used a laser level to keep the two longitudinal pinch welds flat while it was on the rotisserie, but was not actively measuring for "twist" in the body (next time!). The passenger longitudinal was very weakened by the prior owner drilling holes in it, and I remember the doors fitting better before. Its entirely possible I caused this issue by not cross-bracing the car (an "X" between my two braces would have been perfect).

Dr 914's videos were very helpful in diagnosing this issue, and it sounds like his frame guy can fix this given enough time and money. It would be very inconvenient to bring the car all the way to Atlanta from Texas, if he even had time to work on it. A guy at work recommended a local shop with a frame rack that did a good job on his daughter's vintage Mustang. I don't want to trade expediency for results, but given the less-than-concours nature of my 914 maybe this would be an option?

On the brighter side, I finally saw a 914 at our local cars and coffee. Great looking car, but closer inspection revealed lots of the rust issues I've spent so much time addressing! I ordered the rest of the 1.7L D-jet parts I needed, as well as a replacement ignition harness (figured I might as well replaced all the old wires). This year has me working out of town about half the time so I won't get a chance to install anything for several weeks!

this is not good news!! Given this is of driver quality, I might look into racking the chassis as a DIY project. I cannot provide details, but there is a way
+Quote Post
sreyemj
post Jul 12 2023, 05:37 PM
Post #111

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 12 2023, 02:47 PM) *
this is not good news!! Given this is of driver quality, I might look into racking the chassis as a DIY project. I cannot provide details, but there is a way

I'm not sure this is a DIY type of thing. I don't think it is enough to make it undrivable, but frustrating for sure.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 12 2023, 07:40 PM
Post #112

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Can you get access to a near-flat and level floor? You might be able to measure twist, comparing front and rear.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jul 12 2023, 09:15 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Targa bar to windshield distance is OK on both sides, but what about cross measurement (targa driver to passenger windshield, and vice versa).

Targa top has give as far as location, I wouldn't 100% trust it.

+Quote Post
sreyemj
post Jul 12 2023, 09:25 PM
Post #114

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 12 2023, 10:15 PM) *

Targa bar to windshield distance is OK on both sides, but what about cross measurement (targa driver to passenger windshield, and vice versa).

Targa top has give as far as location, I wouldn't 100% trust it.

I'll check when I get home in a few weeks.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:44 AM