Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 GT or other 914-6 custom builds, Any advice on Patrick Motorsports or others
VAB914-6
post Feb 8 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,899
Region Association: North East States

I am new to the 914 world, no pun intended. In my mind I have it that I am going to build a 914-6 GT of some sort. I have looked at several examples of "project cars" from Patrick Motorsports. The silver and red tribute build and the "mean green" seemingly have many of the things I would think make up a very good car.

I have many questions: how practical is a 3.8L in a strengthened 914-6 for daily driving? Needing heat and defrost as I live in and near the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. What kind of up keep, don't want to be fiddling and tinkering with it, just want to drive it and maintain it?

Anyone having experiences with Patrick Motorsports? Anyone having suggestions as to other builders/ shops? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I need advice....thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 8 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Nice cars do come up for sale. Buying a completed car is always more cost effective than building one, but if you have the budget then you can determine the finished car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 8 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What’s your budget?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 8 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(VAB914-6 @ Feb 8 2020, 11:18 AM) *

I have many questions: how practical is a 3.8L in a strengthened 914-6 for daily driving? Needing heat and defrost as I live in and near the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. What kind of up keep, don't want to be fiddling and tinkering with it, just want to drive it and maintain it?

914 might be the wrong car, it's a car that often needs tinkering, but then again once well sorted it can be used as a DD. If you're using a shop you should expect the builder to want to drive it 300-600 miles just to prove the car is fully sorted.
One of the perks of being a builder, I'm driving a customers 996 C4S right now, I'll put 1000km on it before my stamp of approval and I hand it over.

Engine I'd stick to a stock FI 3.2 or 3.6, again to avoid "fiddling and tinkering".
Ben, 914world member mb911 can supply the heat exchangers and muffler.
+Quote Post
VAB914-6
post Feb 9 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2020, 07:14 PM) *

What’s your budget?

As always, there is a budget. However at this stage of this "project" I am seeking information. I'm not sure giving you a dollar amount helps you respond to the original question(s).

Are you personally familiar with Patrick Motorsports? Do you have experiences with other builders/ refurbishers?

+Quote Post
VAB914-6
post Feb 9 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2020, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(VAB914-6 @ Feb 8 2020, 11:18 AM) *

914 might be the wrong car, it's a car that often needs tinkering, but then again once well sorted it can be used as a DD. If you're using a shop you should expect the builder to want to drive it 300-600 miles just to prove the car is fully sorted.
One of the perks of being a builder, I'm driving a customers 996 C4S right now, I'll put 1000km on it before my stamp of approval and I hand it over.

Engine I'd stick to a stock FI 3.2 or 3.6, again to avoid "fiddling and tinkering".
Ben, 914world member mb911 can supply the heat exchangers and muffler.

Thanks. Yeah I think if one get a 914 or 914-6 with merely a refreshing of the car in the original form; engine, trans, suspension and brakes, you will be dealing with it like it was 1970's again. I'm not going that route.

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 9 2020, 03:39 PM
Post #7

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

A number of factors go into determining the cost of a ground up 6 conversion/GT build, but if I were to give you a "shooting from the hip" cost, I'd say:
Total rebuild on a 3.0 with aftermarket EFI - $20-30k
fully rebuilt trans with ltd slip - $5k
suspension and brakes - $5k
wheels - $2500,
interior & glass - $2500
wiring and plumbing - $2k
flairs and paint - $12k
labor to put it all together - $20-40k
plus the cost of the car

EDIT: I forgot exhaust if you want heat exchangers add $3000

You may be able to find a good deal on an engine, or transmission, but I'll offer that I'm not too far off the mark on that list, some things maybe over, some under but on average pretty close.

It's like building a house, the cost to build a custom home is going to be about 30% more than a similar existing home.
+Quote Post
mlmgm
post Feb 9 2020, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,536
Region Association: Northern California

No personal experience with Patrick, but have seen a couple of his cars at last year Werks Reunion in Monterey. I also spoke at length to a local 914/6 customer who was at the Pete Stout Canepa PTS Rare Shades event in 2018. I thought the quality and workmanship of all the cars was excellent. I did ask the 914/6 owner his build cost and it was a healthy six figure amount. Interestingly at the Werks Reunion, Mr. Patrick came over and was interested in our build and mentioned how much he loves 914’s.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 9 2020, 09:20 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(VAB914-6 @ Feb 9 2020, 03:34 PM) *

What’s your budget?

As always, there is a budget. However at this stage of this "project" I am seeking information. I'm not sure giving you a dollar amount helps you respond to the original question(s).

Are you personally familiar with Patrick Motorsports? Do you have experiences with other builders/ refurbishers?

Budget has a lot to do with it. You are describing what I'm guessing is a $150K build from PMS. If your budget is $60K, then it's not worth looking at them. Yes, I did work at a Porsche builder/refurbisher for a couple years. We mostly did 911's because when you told a 914 guy that what he was describing would cost $150K, they got silent. The 911 guys wrote a check.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 9 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 9 2020, 04:39 PM) *

A number of factors go into determining the cost of a ground up 6 conversion/GT build, but if I were to give you a "shooting from the hip" cost, I'd say:
wheels - $2500,
interior & glass - $2500
flairs and paint - $12k
plus the cost of the car

You may be able to find a good deal on an engine, or transmission, but I'll offer that I'm not too far off the mark on that list, some things maybe over, some under but on average pretty close.

It's like building a house, the cost to build a custom home is going to be about 30% more than a similar existing home.

I think this would be a low estimate from a decent shop and would double with a built 3.6, 915 trans and all the extras.
+Quote Post
VAB914-6
post Feb 11 2020, 12:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 9 2020, 04:39 PM) *

wheels - $2500,
interior & glass - $2500
flairs and paint - $12k
plus the cost of the car

Thanks for response.
+Quote Post
VAB914-6
post Feb 11 2020, 05:27 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2020, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(VAB914-6 @ Feb 9 2020, 03:34 PM) *

What’s your budget?

Budget has a lot to do with it. You are describing what I'm guessing is a $150K build from PMS. If your budget is $60K, then it's not worth looking at them. Yes, I did work at a Porsche builder/refurbisher for a couple years. We mostly did 911's because when you told a 914 guy that what he was describing would cost $150K, they got silent. The 911 guys wrote a check.

Thanks....good to know.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 12 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Where abouts are you, I have a friend that moved to that area a year or so ago. He build a very cool track 911 with a bone stock 3.6 and loved the reliability. He may be a good friend to have out there. He's a HUGE knowledge base on all things Porsche.

I also know another guy I bought a '74 911 off of that is a 356 friend out that way too.

Let me know if you'd live to get in touch with either of them. I also have paint/body friends within 2 hours drive of the blue ridge (as long as it's north of Harrisonburg)

Quick-edit: I also know there's a new program at JMU (note my user name) that does restoration projects through https://madisonauto.org/
They might be a good resource if you want an all-in-house project.
+Quote Post
mlmgm
post Feb 12 2020, 11:11 AM
Post #14

A Patrick built car for sale. . . . . .

[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2352521]
+Quote Post
VAB914-6
post Feb 13 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(mlmgm @ Feb 12 2020, 12:11 PM) *

A Patrick built car for sale. . . . . .

[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2352521]

Thanks, I will check out the listing.
+Quote Post
mlmgm
post Feb 14 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #16

One other built by Patrick with a 914/6 chassis number:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-6...s-/283776076040
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:50 AM