Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rare Shades 5: Toronto, June 20, 2020
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 13 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

000 Magazine and ptsrs are thrilled to announce Rare Shades 5 will take place in Toronto, Canada on Saturday June 20, 2020. Registration opens on April 20, with early priority given to 000 subscribers and more details to come.

Rare Shades—which celebrates Porsches in unusual colors or Paint to Sample from all eras—is open to the public and free for spectators. For those who wish to display a Porsche in an unusual factory color, $45 USD reserves a designated spot in the special display area and includes coffee and pastries for two along with a goodie bag with 000 gear. As most 914 colors are unusual today, most 914s have a good shot at qualifying for a prime spot—and it would be great to see a number of them on the 914's 50th!

You can learn more about Rare Shades here. We’re looking forward to 000's ​​​​​​first event in Canada, and hope to see you in Toronto!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 13 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Should be a fun event but a little far from AZ!!

(the LA traffic was bad enough even getting back to PHX last September!)

Look forward to pictures from the event...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 14 2020, 08:56 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 13 2020, 08:07 PM) *

Should be a fun event but a little far from AZ!!

(the LA traffic was bad enough even getting back to PHX last September!)

Look forward to pictures from the event...

Toronto GTA traffic isn't much better. I'm east of the GTA and have personal rules for avoiding the worse traffic.
5:30 to 9 AM and 2:30 to 6:30 PM are my no go times.

Just had a 9:15 AM appointment in downtown TO so I left at 5:20 AM. It's about a 80 minute trip one way with light traffic.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 14 2020, 10:09 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Where in Toronto? big place/area and many call the whole GTA (Greater Toronto Area) "Toronto" even though the GTA is a couple dozen towns and cities.

BTW for car watchers the sports, exotic, custom, NA, etc., car scene is huge in the GTA. There are car shows here practically 7 days a week during the summer.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 14 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 14 2020, 06:56 AM) *

Toronto GTA traffic isn't much better. I'm east of the GTA and have personal rules for avoiding the worse traffic. 5:30 to 9 AM and 2:30 to 6:30 PM are my no go times.

Smart—I've treated the Bay Area the same way to avoid traffic whenever possible over the last 20 years. Probably sit in it less than once a month.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 14 2020, 08:09 AM) *

Where in Toronto? big place/area and many call the whole GTA (Greater Toronto Area) "Toronto" even though the GTA is a couple dozen towns and cities.

BTW for car watchers the sports, exotic, custom, NA, etc., car scene is huge in the GTA. There are car shows here practically 7 days a week during the summer.

Location is TBA, probably when registration opens. And yes, we were surprised by the car scene in GTA when we visited a couple of years ago. Super cool scene, and were surprised to learn it was the world's (or was it continent's?) second-largest market for McLarens.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 14 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 14 2020, 12:21 PM) *

...And yes, we were surprised by the car scene in GTA when we visited a couple of years ago. Super cool scene, and were surprised to learn it was the world's (or was it continent's?) second-largest market for McLarens.

If you like looking at the new exotics almost all the big names are on one street at Auto Park Circle, Woodbridge, ON which is part of the GTA. The McLaren dealership is there and it's owned by Pfaff Porsche, which is about a mile away.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 14 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 14 2020, 09:52 AM) *

...And yes, we were surprised by the car scene in GTA when we visited a couple of years ago. Super cool scene, and were surprised to learn it was the world's (or was it continent's?) second-largest market for McLarens.

If you like looking at the new exotics almost all the big names are on one street at Auto Park Circle, Woodbridge, ON which is part of the GTA. The McLaren dealership is there and it's owned by Pfaff Porsche, which is about a mile away.

It's funny that, as I grow older, the exotics hold less and less appeal to me—I didn't see as much of the vintage scene in Toronto last time, and am hopeful that RS5 will pull some of that out of the woodwork. Hope you can make it!

Oh, meant to ask: Do your "avoid traffic" times apply to weekends, too?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 14 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 14 2020, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 14 2020, 09:52 AM) *

It's funny that, as I grow older, the exotics hold less and less appeal to me—I didn't see as much of the vintage scene in Toronto last time, and am hopeful that RS5 will pull some of that out of the woodwork. Hope you can make it!

Oh, meant to ask: Do your "avoid traffic" times apply to weekends, too?

Weekends it's hit or miss, if you're in north GTA it might be worth taking the 407 toll highway, but it isn't cheap and not really worth it if you're going to the lakeshore (south, Toronto proper) areas. In the summer do not travel Friday or Sunday 3-8 PM, that's the cottage bound/return nightmare time.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 14 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 14 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Weekends it's hit or miss, if you're in north GTA it might be worth taking the 407 toll highway, but it isn't cheap and not really worth it if you're going to the lakeshore (south, Toronto proper) areas. In the summer do not travel Friday or Sunday 3-8 PM, that's the cottage bound/return nightmare time.

^ Good to have a bit more perspective as we consider a little something for Friday night...

Thanks, and hope to meet you this summer!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 13 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Rare Shades 5 has been postponed, most likely to a date later this year.

We'll continue to evaluate the situation and work with our event partners, and will notify readers and other enthusiasts when we've got a new date.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 13 2020, 12:19 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Good plan, hopefully by the summer we'll be hoisting Corona's instead of catching them, but it's better to play it safe.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jun 8 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, I'm waiting for the re-schedule of this event. Really want to go check out some of the more unusual colors.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 8 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 8 2020, 12:39 PM) *

Yeah, I'm waiting for the re-schedule of this event. Really want to go check out some of the more unusual colors.

Your ears must have been ringing, as a new agreement with the venue was in discussion last week. They're as bummed as we are, but have been great to work with.

We're not ready to announce new dates yet—as we can't even get into Canada right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:56 AM