Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Tach not working
Joe C
post Feb 29 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,773
Region Association: North East States

Does anyone know when Porsche stopped using the inline resistor for the tach on a six?
I have a very late production original '70 and I cant get the tach to work. I'm pretty sure there isn't a resistor on the relay board. Trying to determine if they went to the internal resistor in late '70 production.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 29 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

There is no resistor in a70 six, but there is a tach amplifier. It is located on the relay board. The amp was used to raise the CD box output to a level that would trigger the tach They were used in 70,but not in 71. Porsche got new circuit boards for the tachs in 70,and they used them in 911s first.

You can fix it by buying a tach for a 911SC, and transferring it's guts to the 70 914 tach. Then open the tach adapter and installing a jumper wire to bypass it. It will look stock, and the tach will work.

I can take pictures when I get home if you need them.
+Quote Post
Joe C
post Feb 29 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,773
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 29 2020, 07:38 PM) *

There is no resistor in a70 six, but there is a tach amplifier. It is located on the relay board. The amp was used to raise the CD box output to a level that would trigger the tach They were used in 70,but not in 71. Porsche got new circuit boards for the tachs in 70,and they used them in 911s first.

You can fix it by buying a tach for a 911SC, and transferring it's guts to the 70 914 tach. Then open the tach adapter and installing a jumper wire to bypass it. It will look stock, and the tach will work.

I can take pictures when I get home if you need them.

Pics would great, and thanks for the info!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 07:48 PM