Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Patrick Motorsports "Big Laguna", My new big 6!
eric9144
post Mar 4 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 4 2020, 07:12 PM) *

So I guess you want me to change rims to......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Nope (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 4 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #62

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

I went through the the wheel dilemma on my 930, wheels are like coondogs, but to this day, I like them too much to swap out to RS finish.
I think the little bit of black in the background helps tone down a polished or chromed wheel.

Attached Image

Although gold is my current fascination on my 914

Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 4 2020, 09:46 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 4 2020, 04:53 PM) *

Wasn't gonna say anything, but since you did…I'll confess I struggle with the monochromatic look, also. This 914 reminds me so much of Ernie King's 3.8, which was silver with the same flares and overall look but had the targa bar in black vinyl with a stock roof for some contrast...and it was perfection on the same 16-inch Fuchs you've got but with black centers, plain black center caps, and toned-down polish.

There's also a silver GT running around Europe on 15x7s (or 8s) up front and 15x9s in the rear wearing Michelin TB rubber or something similar, and it looks insane—once again with the period correct vinyl targa bar and black top. But I am not sure I could give up your brakes with the engine you've got!

Whatever. You have plenty of time to make this 914 yours. The best thing you can do for now is live with it and enjoy it!

I knew people would think/know I"m insane, to me the execution is somewhat resto-mod, I"m more of a classic guy and actually am thinking I may re-vynil the targa bar and go back to black on the roof, switch the over the top recaros to the konig/scheel's that are in my /4 and maybe even put a 914 style dash vs the 911 getty dash back in. I have a NOS dash amongst other things in the parts stash. Black centered fuchs well, they're awesome, they don't need bling they are cool just sitting there.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
I figured I'd give it time though, my wife may kill me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 4 2020, 09:56 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

@Coondog in a weird way, your car drove me to this purchase. My other 914 is a stock /4, I'm the second owner, it's a total survivor car and it's incredible, everything works like it rolled off the showroom floor yesterday. I remember when you started your project I PM'd you and asked about cost, then slept on it for a couple years. My /4 is so original is would b a crime to convert it--a 74 2.0 with all the options you wanted, SoCal survivor, I just couldn't do it and I knew the cost made it counter-intuitive. Your car, to me is the real deal for conversions, 3.2 flares, all done really well, stuck to the original look overall but improved on every level. Don't change a thing man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 4 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 21,628

I understand the targa bar and back to a black roof - and even the seats but I'd keep the Getty dash.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Mar 4 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Thank you Eric, The Big Laguna in my opinion is the most extensive 914-6 conversation to come out of PMS. Hope we can meet up and gets some pics of our cars together.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 4 2020, 10:11 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 4 2020, 08:06 PM) *

Thank you Eric, The Big Laguna in my opinion is the most extensive 914-6 conversation to come out of PMS. Hope we can meet up and gets some pics of our cars together.

Totally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
And thanks for the compliment, the thing is insane mechanically even if I am picking at the cosmetics.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 5 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #68

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Greg,

@coondog I love your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Your car is a different look because it is white. However.....I love the RS finish on deep wheels. Your car is terrific as is, but if you wanted to bump it into outstanding across the board, then yes, IMHO, do the wheels.

Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
get off my lawn
post Mar 5 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 13,462
Region Association: None

Iffn it were me (and he's glad it's not) I'd leave them rim just the way they are.
To each his own.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 5 2020, 01:14 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

^ It's a matter of personal taste, and a car by car thing. I'm not a big polished wheels guy...most of the time. But there are some cars where it looks great. Andy's yellow rod-rod 6 is one where I can't see how you would improve on its wheels...Elvira, the black 6 out of Vegas, is another.

To each their own is right...
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 9 2020, 11:58 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Noticed that at some point there was a significant change to the cage, guessing that it was too much of a PITA to get in and out for street use so they removed the door bar sections on both sides. What's odd is it doesn't look like there were ever there (i.e. removed and ground out)

Original:
Attached Image

As it is now:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 9 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Oh and ordered these to honor the original owners legacy:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 9 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #73

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 9 2020, 01:59 PM) *

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) nice!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Mar 9 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #74

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 9 2020, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 9 2020, 01:59 PM) *

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) nice!

FUCHING AWESOME
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 9 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #75

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is an amazing car and it just keeps getting better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 9 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Dug out some NOS special parts from the stash over the weekend, pretty sure I've had these for the better part of 20yrs:
Attached Image Attached Image

Because GT that's why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 15 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #77

Advanced Member

Wow just realized I hadn't updated this thread in a year! Well it's been a heck of a year for Covid and lockdowns, but the 914-6 has been rollin' so I guess I'll do some updates to what has been going on with the "Big Laguna"... there's been quite a few, but mostly driving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
So here's the speed dating v version of the last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 15 2021, 06:48 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

The car had sat for the better part of ~5-7 years so I figured the best thing I could do was shake the cobwebs off and drive it... Went for a SoCal drive, started great
Attached Image
Made it half way to the start point and while jogging up the 5 freeway through Camp Pendleton, something caught my eye in the back window, HOLY FUCHS, I was smoking oil like a Blue Angles fly over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Threw it into neutral and shut it down in the fast lane, might have crapped my pants a little too, wasn't ready to have to deal with the 3.8 having gone south on me
Attached Image
With the covid restrictions, I had to call the wife to come pick me up because they wouldn't let me ride in the tow truck.... Inasult to injury.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 15 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Got the car home, mopped up all the oil, couldn't find a root cause to the issue, everything looked fine, engine fired up, made perfect oil pressure, was still freaked out when @ValcoOscar offered up his famous P-Car Hauler and I decided the best move was to take it back to PMS for a check up and to get things sorted
Attached Image

I lucked out majorly and the massive smoke trail was the result of the wrong oil and too much of it, the engine had burped oil back through the breather and spilled out on the top left of the engine, that's what caused the massive smoke plume.

"while I was in there" it got some love on things that had deteriorated over it's time sitting, all new fuel lines, changed all the fluids and checked absolutely everything... it was expensive but worth it for peace of mind.

PMS was pretty happy to see the car and that it was still in great condition as they hadn't seen it in ~10 years. They did some social media stuff and updated the build blog while it was there, that was kind of fun, 'glamor shots' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 15 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

I get all the way back with it and it wouldn't start off the trailer when I got home, the fuel pump died (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
No fault of PMS, just a result (likely) of time it sat etc. Easy fix...
Then onto the small details like rubber that had gotten crusty etc. I was surprised at the little detail stuff that was needing attention considering how much money was dumped into the build so I started after the easy things. 914rubber to the rescue!

Attached Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:27 AM