Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irish Green '71 "Resto", Update: the 914 has been sold!
Gint
post Oct 7 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #261

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

After reading through your entire thread (took a while!), I notice those duals are a relative unknown to you right? Possibly new, never run? Forgot what page that was on...

It might be easier during first start and break in to use the single carb setup. Initial balancing of dual carbs is a finesse operation that might be a PITA during break in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Oct 8 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #262

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 7 2020, 10:44 PM) *

After reading through your entire thread (took a while!), I notice those duals are a relative unknown to you right? Possibly new, never run? Forgot what page that was on...

Thanks for checking the thread out!

I posted a carb-specific question a while back and a member here offered me his duals for a nice price. They have 5000 miles on them and were removed from a web 86 cammed 2.0.

Should be similar.... But there are a lot of variables here.
Not against throwing the single on for break in. But I'll give it a shot tonight with what is already on there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 8 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #263

Mike Ginter

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Oct 11 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #264

Took 14 pages to get here. But we've got the first start of the 1911.
Super happy - you can tell by my ear to ear smile in the following video.

I had some ridiculous spark issues this weeekend, for those of you who saw my other thread. I could not get a consistent spark. I changed dizzys from Vacuum advance to an 009 with pertronix, much better suited for carbs.

I started from square one, took everything wiring wise off the motor, layed it all out clearly and reinstalled everything. I immediately had great spark all around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Maybe I had a poor ground.... who knows. Do it right or do it twice.

So.... I installed my single weber. attached a 3psi low pressure fuel pump and filter to a can of fresh gas, Jumped the starter and boom. Combustion.

VIDEO HERE: First start of the 1911 - Youtube Video

The motor runs about 30 seconds then cuts out. The single carb leaks a bit anyways, so I swapped back to the duals.
Unfortunately, this time around (rushing) I clipped the fuel pump to constant 12v.... it filled cylinder 3 with fuel... and no turny on the crank. (would a fuel pressure reg help with this?)

Pulled the dipstick... smells of gasoline.... SOOOOO drain the oil again, some gas was present.
I pulled:
Plugs
Valve Cover
Dipstick/Cap
Oil filter

Crank spins now.

I suppose I will let it air out for a day or two and try again. Fan is blowing on it now.
I got too excited I started losing focus and wasn't quantifying everything. Classic Jared. Hopefully no other issues arise from this. The gas was in there no more than 2 minutes until I pulled the carb (and fuel poured out)

Win some, lose some, but this was a HUGE win and really exciting. This is my first split case engine build. Hearing it run made my week (year?)
Thanks for the help getting me this far.

Jared
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Oct 11 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #265

Alrighty,

Purged the motor of all fluid, evaporated for several hours.

Plugs were cleaned. Two plugs (#3 and #4) had gas on them and were a bit black. But not fouled.

I squirted a teaspoon of oil down each spark plug hole to lubricate the rings.
I’ll let it sit tonight and maybe tomorrow, we should be back in business.

Bonus: here is a GIF I made of the RPM gauge working, that's nice to see.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1602464492.1.gif)

And another video from behind the temporary exhaust. Looking back on the vids this evening and hearing the damn thing running.... I am ecstatic!

Video from behind 1911

Cheers!
+Quote Post
wysri9
post Oct 12 2020, 03:30 AM
Post #266

Member No.: 16,291
Region Association: England

What a milestone Jared! I know that feeling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Just hope yours continue to hold all the fluid in - I am about to redo pushrod tubes..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Oct 12 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #267

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats Jared.
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Oct 13 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #268

Hey fellas,

Trying to tie up a few loose ends before I head out to New Mexico (work) until the end of the month.

I am putting the motor stuff aside until I get bigger carbs. I had a set of 34 weber copies. Not sure why I bought them knowing I would be building a bigger motor.... better suited for someone else. Probably will list my now collection of 4 carbs on the samba.

Anyways, with the spare time, not getting my hands too dirty with the 1911, I cleaned the garage. Got some small tasks in the interior done, and finished the touch up paint on the car.

Now the 914 is "all" "one" color (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) At least I don't have massive primer spots - especially around the passenger rear fender, which I had to cut for the hell hole operation.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1602634527.1.jpg)

Painted... now my car has 11 shades of Irish green.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1602634528.2.jpg)

This way the people that I pass that pass me on the highway will at least know it’s supposed to be green.

I'd like to say a full block sand and respray will come this winter/spring. Just honestly the least of my worries. Driving it is more important.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1602634528.3.jpg)

Other than that, I got some GREAT rear calipers from a world member. I am so pleased. Watched a few youtube videos on rebuilding rear calipers. Honestly, jsut want a break from all the projects. It's OK to buy something already done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1602634528.4.jpg)

weeeew!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1602634528.5.jpg)

Purty!

As you can see in the background, my motor is all wrapped up for safe keeping while I am gone... Might do a few small things here and there... But I should probably change the oil in my TDI. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 13 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #269

Mike Ginter

Nice. They probably originated from PMB (guessing). Look around here and for later: http://www.pmbperformance.com/gravity-bleed.html
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Nov 11 2020, 08:48 PM
Post #270

Hey fellers.... been a while!

740,00 things going on. (I'm buying my first house!) (with a 2 car detached garage!)
Keeping it low key until I have the keys in my hands. I'm sure you know how it goes.

Where to start....

Since the last (first?) time I ran the motor, I decided to not use the small carbs (dual 34 ICT), and upgrade to some big guys.
I met up with @nditiz1 and he set me up with a project pair of Dellorto 44's. Missing a few pieces, but I can totally work with that.

Here are the carbs after being stripped down. Top carb was soaked in GUNK for 2 days to clean it out, bottom carb is about to go in.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605149286.1.jpg)

The pieces I needed arrived. Turns out all of them are NLA in the states. I found everything I needed from a guy on eBay in Italy. I can give the name if anyone needs it, he's got everything.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605149286.2.jpg)

The remaining parts arrived from CB performance. I finished the carbs up, really not much was reused except some of the bolts and nuts.
Holy crap these are sweet.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605149286.3.jpg)

Comparison to the pair I was going to use... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605149287.4.jpg)

Installed. Seriously looks really bad ass with the filters. These are some big mothers!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605149287.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605149287.6.jpg)

SO...

New oil, Brad Penn Break in... New filter. Attach the linkage and see if she fires.

VIDEO RUNNING - CLICK ME

Boom. The first try it fires right up. That's awesome.

Issues that I need to sort:

1 Linkage might need realigned. It seems to be binding and not allowing me to go to crazy on the throttle. I feel like it's stopping about half way.

2 It almost sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders at a higher throttle. It bogs down. Spits and backfires a lot. Runs for about 2 minutes then decides to stop.

3 Amateur - I know, but I really don't know where to begin with tuning these. Bit more here than the Harley CV that I am used to.
I backed off the idle screws about 3 turns and made a few adjustments. I need to do a lot of reading on my Weber PDFs.

I probably have a vacuum leak. (nothing is connected) and I certainly need a carb sync tool. But we made it this far. What's a few more days.

HERE are the specs that I built these Dellortos to. I would not be surprised if I needed to change some things. Anything stand out?

1911cc
Vent: 34
Main: 130
Idle: 60
Air: 180
Emulsion. .2
Pump jet: 35

Thanks for reading guys!
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Nov 11 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #271

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Hello Jared, try to google dual carb tuning for the basic tuning/adjustments of the main idle screw and idle mixture screw.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Nov 12 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #272

Member No.: 18,763

Way to go dude!

@JaredMcginness - Come back over when you get a chance I have a german sync tool you can barrow.

Essentially you should leave the linkage disconnected until the very end. You should be able to get it running and idle. Carbs are cold blooded so you may need to have the linkage setup initially to get them a little warm before disconnecting.

The sync tool is used to get both sides L/R to draw in the same amount of air. Each barrel has an air bypass adjustment which almost never needs adjusting unless each individual barrel is not in sync on the same carb. I can't remember if those were removed so you may need to actually set yours before forgetting about them. Sync L/R first, then sync them on the barrel then re-sync L/R. This cannot be done without the snail tool (unless you have a super ear to hear the amount of air draw into each side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).

Once you have a good idle and all 4 carb barrels are around the same pull then you can begin to set the air/fuel mixture. This is best used with an AFR, but you can do it with feel/hear and a timing gun with RPM readout. You start at 1 and adjust the mixture to the best running condition for that cylinder. I usually run through that cycle a few times 1-4 until I feel I have gotten the smoothest best idle out of each barrel. Sometimes this results in the idle being too high which then the idle speed screws on the side need readjusting which then results in the mixture screws needing to be readjusted. It is a vicious cycle but eventually you will have it dialed in. After all that you can re-hook to linkage and the idle should not change.

After this point you can check the linkage for "sync-ness" by giving a little throttle and checking both sides L/R for the same increase on the snail gauge. At 1500 RPM both should be the same, at 2000 they both should be the same,...etc. If one side is higher then the other then you know the butterfly on that side is opening fast than the other and it will created un-eveness and poor performance.

@IronHillRestorations - Perry Kiehl - wrote his carb sync steps on a post not too long ago on here (few months back). Webers and Dells sync procedure is pretty much the same. Also, all these things will get the engine running/revving correctly barring everything else is set correctly, timing, valves, etc.

The jetting setup can only be adjusted once the engine is installed. That is another lesson which I can help with once you are there.

Edit - be sure to plug any of those vac lines on the carbs when tuning
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Nov 12 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #273

Sounds great Nick, thank you. I will reach out this weekend.

I looked into buying my own this afternoon (which I will do) but shipping is 5 days out. No Dual Carb Syncrometers on Amazon Prime. Ha’

From doing some more research, it sounds like I should be able to get these carbs idling and performing no problem, before any parts swapping is needed. Like said above, re-jetting will come later.
Maybe foolish, but my only concern is running the motor too many times before cam break in. It’s been ran probably 6-7 times now at 2 minute intervals, typically no lower that 2kish RPM. So I don’t believe I’m doing any harm.

I’d love to run it for 20 minutes straight. I just need to keep it running that long.

Cheers
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Nov 13 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #274

Washed the car today for the second time in a year. Covered in garage dust, feels great to clean it.
I've painted the fenders and other body panels (that were primed) with touch up paint. I wet sanded most of it. It looks pretty bad.
The Irish Green touch up wasn't a great match in this batch. At least it's all green?

14 shades of green, but green.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605313282.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605313283.2.jpg)

To combat this, I am toying with the idea of vinyl wrapping the car something similar to Irish Green. For the time being, I think that would look great. I really cannot afford paint right now.
This would clean the look of the car up - and be a relatively simple wrap. I have seen some good results here. (cost would be $3-500)

I ordered a few samples. There's no direct color match options. But I found something really close to 911 Irish Green.... Looks bit more like Brewster Green. See here:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605313283.3.jpg)

I ordered a few other samples just for $hits... (and to practice)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605313283.4.jpg)

(since there is no vinyl comparible to Sepia Brown - my favorite Porsche color) The only two I really like are the two large 6x6" ones.

Gloss Dark Green and Papyrus Gloss, something between Light Ivory and Sand Beige. LOVE it.
The Papyrus would be a drastic change and totally left field... but kind of a poor choice, considering my door jambs and trunk would be green. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

This is how the two colors look in the light:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605313283.5.jpg)

And here is a good example of how truly horrible the depth of my paint is. 20 years in the sun.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605313283.6.jpg)

Any thoughts? Has anyone reading wrapped theirs?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 13 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #275

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Not a real fan of wraps generally. But, given you can do this for $300 to $500 that seems like a great plan. As for the color, the dark green of course. Good luck and happy wrapping. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 13 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #276

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I'm a fan. It's a great home project and if you mess up, you just pull the panel and start over. Modern material is very forgiving and much easier than in the past but you need to use the good stuff. Still shouldn't be much for our little cars. I will be doing my suby build with a wrap.

The wrap institute on youtube has a lot of great tips.
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Nov 13 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #277

Thanks guys!

Mark, yeah among the samples I got were Avery, ORACAL and 3M. The modern 3m is nice because it has a peel off layer, so you don’t scratch/scuff while applying.

The oracal is nice as well, has a stretchy grid pattern on the back. Super tough and the heat gun removes any wrinkle in the material.

Man that papyrus is tempting... always peels off!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1605317880.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Nov 14 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #278

Alrighty guys.

Another (to me, massive update). After a silly bump it the road with fueling, I got the 1911 running.

Like running, running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I got everything set up on the ground again and ran her for 20 minutes at 2500 RPMs. Cam break in is COMPLETE. WOO!
I am a dummy and it was just running the float bowls dry. I assumed my fuel pump (connected to starter tab) was on constant power after actuating the starter.

This video is the last minute of the cam break-in.

I gave it the balls a few times. Sounds okay for now with that Bursch muffler.

Aye, something I built from the ground up, ran at least 20 minutes. Makes my week! Maybe the largest milestone of this project, next to the floors.

Next steps:
-Change oil
-Dial in carbs + sync with snail tool.
-Set timing with my new digi timing gun.
-Recheck everything 400 times... then it can go in the car I guess.

I need to start compiling a list of all the folks that helped me get this far. Everyone gets a Dunkin Gift Card and a 6 pack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 14 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #279

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

It so strange to see it sitting on the ground running like that. Congratulations.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Nov 14 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #280

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Way to go! First drive coming soon.
+Quote Post

21 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:46 AM