Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irish Green '71 "Resto", Update: the 914 has been sold!
jaredmcginness
post Dec 3 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Inching closer every night.

I would sincerely like to have this thing moderately operable enough to drive 1 mile by the weekend of the 11th. I have too much pride, after spending this much effort on this thing, to tow it 1 mile to my new home.

Today's only major issue - there is, of course, at least one every other day:

I tried to shift the car for the first time while on, horrible GRIND and then nothing. Goes into (I believe) every gear while off.

I know the tail shift is bad... but it at least goes into gear right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Here's what I attempted to remedy/diagnose this:

1. I put it into 1st then turned the car on, it lurches (same with reverse)
2. I read the Haynes trouble shooting.
3. I read the John Muir shifting issues, but nothing stood out, might not apply as much, being a 914.
4. I adjusted the clutch cable tighter, three different lengths. It makes a huge difference in the pedal feel, but no different on the grind.

-The clutch and pressure plate were never separated, have tons of meat. -flywheel matched those too. (all same car)
-Shifter bushings are all brand new.

Wondering if this is a throw out bearing issue. I sure hope not.

Any thoughts?

Part 2:

I finalized some fuel pump wiring, buttoned up the interior, set the car down, and installed a triple gauge panel. Oil Pressure, Temp and Volt.

I used the 42Draft Designs Universal panel, and used it as a radio delete.
Here is a photo:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607048952.1.jpg)

I am really happy with how the interior has turned out.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607048953.2.jpg)

I do need to get a new voltage gauge that sits in flush, that would look correct.
Oil Temp Gauge doesn't function all the way, but gets power, gotta figure that out.

I ran the motor for a while and adjusted the carbs a bit more.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607048953.3.jpg)

Looks like a complete car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607048953.4.jpg)

New trunk (that actually closes) courtesy of Mepstein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) He'll be getting a Christmas card this year.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607048953.5.jpg)

That's all for this evening.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #302

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I hope the lid is true. It came from an 80K mile car and while the front had a fender bender, I think the rear was good. I'm glad it's getting used and it made a little more room in the workshop.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MM1
post Dec 3 2020, 09:04 PM
Post #303

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

“New trunk (that actually closes) courtesy of Mepstein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) He'll be getting a Christmas card this year.”

Yep-methinks @mepstein deserves a card - early this holiday season! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #304

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(MM1 @ Dec 3 2020, 10:04 PM) *

“New trunk (that actually closes) courtesy of Mepstein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) He'll be getting a Christmas card this year.”

Yep-methinks @mepstein deserves a card - early this holiday season! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

I have always enjoyed having my parts end up on other members cars. Sure, some of it I sell but there are a lot of parts that aren't worth selling but end up going to good uses. The lids have been sitting around for a couple of years but now the one is getting used. I'm especially happy when stuff ends up on an east coast car. I may have a chance to see it and east coast cars need more love. They always need a rustoration in addition to everything else. Jared is a great guy. I'm glad I can help out a bit. All the people on this site give me 100X more than I could ever give back.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 3 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #305

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Your car is looking great. I love the radio delete gauge location. If you could find some gauge pods that would angle the gauges towards the driver, all the better. I have my fingers crossed you will be driving that car to your new place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 4 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #306

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Dec 3 2020, 07:29 PM) *

New trunk (that actually closes) courtesy of Mepstein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) He'll be getting a Christmas card this year.

There he goes ripping people off again (still shaking my head on that one) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) . I don't think any of these resto builds get completed without a healthy dose of Mark's generosity. I know my car has hundreds of dollars worth of donated parts and services in it. Nothing but admiration and good karma. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Your car is looking fantastic. I'm amazed how quickly you've been able to get to this point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Dec 5 2020, 09:16 AM
Post #307

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Dec 3 2020, 10:29 PM) *

Today's only major issue - there is, of course, at least one every other day:

I tried to shift the car for the first time while on, horrible GRIND and then nothing. Goes into (I believe) every gear while off.

I know the tail shift is bad... but it at least goes into gear right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Here's what I attempted to remedy/diagnose this:

1. I put it into 1st then turned the car on, it lurches (same with reverse)
2. I read the Haynes trouble shooting.
3. I read the John Muir shifting issues, but nothing stood out, might not apply as much, being a 914.
4. I adjusted the clutch cable tighter, three different lengths. It makes a huge difference in the pedal feel, but no different on the grind.

-The clutch and pressure plate were never separated, have tons of meat. -flywheel matched those too. (all same car)
-Shifter bushings are all brand new.

Wondering if this is a throw out bearing issue. I sure hope not.

Any thoughts?

Jared, is it possible that the pressure plate is rusted to the flywheel? That happened with my car some years ago, and I think the symptoms were the same. We were able to break things ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) loose without dropping the engine, but I can't remember exactly how we did it. Others here may have some tips.

Steve A-
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Dec 5 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #308

339 days.

That is the number that it took me to bring this 914 out of its 21 year rest, back onto the road.
Last registered in Alabama in 1998.... I think it's about time to stretch her legs.

After a very brief fix with the clutch. (was stuck to the pressure plate) Thanks to excellent advice on that thread, it was quickly solved.

Verified the shifter, it basically goes into every gear (almost) every time. The only thing left to do is go for a pack a to-go tool bag + fire extinguisher,
go for a test drive and hope I have enough gas to get to thegas station. (and actually hope to get there!)

OK Reverse works... backing out of the driveway.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219230.1.jpg)

Off we go.

Girlfriend following closely with jacks and about enough prepared tools to pull the motor.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219230.2.jpg)

It WORKS!! I think the feeling of shifting into 2nd gear for the first time and actually cruising down the road will stick with me forever.

Here are a few photos from her 15 minute breath-of-fresh-air and re-acclimation with the road.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219230.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219231.4.jpg)

Made it to the gas station. The second I pulled in I got the classic "Dang! What year is that??" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219231.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219231.6.jpg)

Super, super happy!

-A few things glaringly wrong; alignment is awful - to be expected.
-Shifting is definitely rough. Sometimes I think its in 1st, its in 3rd and the folks behind be at the stop light aren't happy.
-Really loud, but its missing some seals, still. Doesn't have an engine lid installed, may have an exhaust leak, and the carbs still need adjusted.

All things that don't really matter today!

While there is a long road ahead and a lot left to do, I couldn't have done any of this without you guys.

Thanks to @beatnavy , @bkrantz , @mepstein , @bbrock , @cairo94507 , @anderssj , and @nditiz1 .
JUST to name some of you guys off the top of my head. Hope I got the tags right.
You guys given, loaned and sold me parts, helped in person, answered PMs, Texts and calls with boundless advice. All for a 914!

Most importantly thank my girlfriend B for late nights, dodging the thrown tools,
learning how to spot weld, holding, handing and sanding things for me, etc. Dont find that everyday.

Built 12/70 and 50 years later exactly, on 12/20 she is back on the road.

I can finally check the one part of my list that has been there since day one!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219231.7.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1607219231.8.jpg)

Gotta love the wheel stop, since the ebrake is not hooked up yet. A testament to a now rolling project.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 5 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #309

Member No.: 21,628

THIS!

That pic of you at the gas pump is priceless.....
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 5 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #310

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Congrats! It looks great.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 5 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #311

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Congrats Jared!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Now drive it like you stole it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 5 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #312

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) That is AWESOME! And in under a year. Just amazing. Be proud. Be very proud. Now go write "Drink Beer" on that white board. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 5 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #313

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I am so happy for you. I knew you would get to drive it before your deadline. Very exciting to be able to pull into a gas station and fuel-up the first time, second time, third time, fourth time.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Dec 6 2020, 01:57 AM
Post #314

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Congratulations Jared! And yes that smile at the pump is priceless! Plus blessing from a supportive and patient girlfriend! A lifetime partner!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 6 2020, 10:40 AM
Post #315

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
way to go! that was a lot of work done in less than a year, you have a solid safe, running car. now enjoy the heck out of it! lots of new memories to make. enjoy!
congratulations!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 6 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #316

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Congrats and GREAT job! Enjoy!
+Quote Post
maj75
post Dec 6 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #317

Member No.: 24,317
Region Association: None

Amazing work! Just read entire thread. Congrats!
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Dec 6 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #318

Wow, thank you for the responses guys!!! Hopefully I will get a video giving it the beans soon - once I am not afraid to drive it. It really is a bit scary as is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Dec 6 2020, 07:06 PM
Post #319

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Just make sure you have AAA membership in case of breakdown and as long fuel lines or electrical are in good shape to avoid any fire. Enjoy this aircooled 914!
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Dec 7 2020, 02:05 PM
Post #320

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

OUTSTANDING! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

And your girlfriend B sounds like a keeper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post

21 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:32 PM