Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irish Green '71 "Resto", Update: the 914 has been sold!
nditiz1
post Jun 1 2021, 11:06 AM
Post #381

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This ^ or buy one of the hi-torque starters off ebay. They run about ~140, but I really like how quick it spins up the motor to start.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jan 21 2022, 02:16 PM
Post #382

Member No.: 23,209

Hey all!

Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year. Here is a life and project update no one asked for!

Most importantly, I recently got engaged! A huge thank you to the "wife" for continued daily support through everything I am about to write.... haha!

914:

So I previously queried here about getting my 914 serviced. It's been "down" due to carb issues for a seriously unreasonable amount of time. (I never wanted to be one of these guys)

I brought the car to a local shop in Elkridge...
(I don't know if I should named them or not) a shop very close by with a 30 years master tech, as well as many great reviews.

I scheduled to drop the car off a month or so after the call, it serviced the following week. Nutshell, it sat and sat and sat for 8 weeks. 1 excuse after the next. No unprompted updates.
Annoyances like: "please leave the car cover on" and came by several times to find it sitting - no cover - in the rain.... Wet, new carpets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Several calls and 8 weeks in, I sent for a truck to bring it back home. As exoected, I got the run around "I was actually doing it today!" once the truck showed up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796167.1.jpg)

Not trying to shame the shop... I think they would rather focus on modern VW/Audi... not air-cooled, as they advertise. Probably for the best.
I was just hoping to get my car tuned up, adjusted, timed and running right. I figured it was a simple ask for a master tech.

So again, the 914 is sitting while I focus on metal work. Unfortunate, but warmer days await.

Onto some good news:

As if I need more projects. I found an incredibly, incredibly good deal on a Toyota 1971 FJ40 LandCruiser.
(one of my 'top 5' vehicles I'd own)

This is a running *cough* driving (poorly) example.
-Factory 1F inline 6,
-3 on the floor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
-0-60 in 40 minutes

Tons of rust on the rear end. Shockingly inexpensive OE replacement parts and steel.

I've already begun rust repair.

Plans:
-Replace rear 1/4s and bed.
-fix rust on hard top
-body mounts.
-factory steel wheels and a pair of seats with headrests.
-Drive it!

Photos:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796167.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796168.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796168.4.jpg)

Love it.

Pictured here with local celebrity @mepstein 's 912. Many hours of metal work into this body - proud to say we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This car received my "914 treatment", although not as severe, and with a bit more experience behind the welder.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796168.5.jpg)

More pics can be shared if interested.

OK... Finally - I'll make this brief.

With the current used market going skyhigh, the dealership I bought my daily Golf from offered a surprising amount of money back on my TDI. 3 years into ownership.
I do love the car, but the fiance and I need something a bit bigger. Owning two 4 door VW Golfs isn't helping anyone.

In typical Jared fashion, I didn't want to just upsize to a Tiguan, old Rav4 or something boring, so I set my sights a little higher, and a little more adult (read: expensive).

Landed on this 2014 Cayenne VR6.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796168.6.jpg)

-Black on platinum.
-3.6l VR6 (Volkswagen engine, a true fave of mine)
-Dealer maintained.
- & Most importantly a total JOY to drive.
Solves all of our space issues. Even capable to tow up to 7800lbs. Which should be able to haul the 914, no problem. (since that will obviously never run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) )

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796168.7.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1642796168.8.jpg)

I honestly regret making fun of these cars all these years. I was hooked once I drove it and smile getting behind the wheel ever morning.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
dstudeba
post Jan 21 2022, 03:10 PM
Post #383

Member No.: 26,128
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats on the engagement! You have garage space for all your cars or are the 914 and 944 living outside?
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jan 21 2022, 03:36 PM
Post #384

QUOTE(dstudeba @ Jan 21 2022, 04:10 PM) *

Congrats on the engagement! You have garage space for all your cars or are the 914 and 944 living outside?

Thank you! The 944 has been sold to a fella in PA that’s taking great care of it. This allotted room for the Toyota.

914 “lives” in the garage, But is under a cover right now while the FJ40 has raw metal.
(I don’t mind if that sits out side otherwise, it can get wet.)

That being said I am at my cap for space. But I do always say…. “There’s room for whatever 914s I already have +1.”
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 21 2022, 03:42 PM
Post #385

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

We are going to have to figure out a storage solution. Life is too short to have less than 10 cars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 21 2022, 03:43 PM
Post #386

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations on the engagement! Finding the right girl, a car girl, makes life infinitely easier.

Were it me, I would name the shop where your car sat for 8 weeks getting wet just so none of our other members go through that experience.

I also like your Cayenne. Porsche makes terrific SUVs. My wife absolutely adores her Macan GTS and... truth be told... I don't mind driving it whenever I get the keys.

Good luck getting your 914 back on the road soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jan 21 2022, 04:40 PM
Post #387

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 21 2022, 04:42 PM) *

We are going to have to figure out a storage solution. Life is too short to have less than 10 cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Whole heartedly! 5 isn’t cutting cut! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 21 2022, 04:43 PM) *

Congratulations on the engagement! Finding the right girl, a car girl, makes life infinitely easier.

Were it me, I would name the shop where your car sat for 8 weeks getting wet just so none of our other members go through that experience.

I also like your Cayenne. Porsche makes terrific SUVs. My wife absolutely adores her Macan GTS and... truth be told... I don't mind driving it whenever I get the keys.

Thanks so much! I’m fortunate in so many ways and very lucky to have found this woman.
That’s awesome about the Macan, I’m sure they are very similar, (have not had any wheel time) truly sitting in the lap of luxury driving this thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The shop is called Deutsch Wurx in Elkridge, MD. Again, I have heard good things, from folks with modern euros. But, maybe avoid with the classics.

Jared.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2022, 05:06 PM
Post #388

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Congrats! Welcome to the world of married (or soon to be, anyway) car guys! Seems you landed yourself a great one and at the very least, that she knows what she's getting herself into! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Thanks for the updates and best of luck with each of your projects. And here's some motivation:

I challenge you to use the 914 to leave your reception! If that's not going to help get 'er done, I don't know what will! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jan 21 2022, 05:55 PM
Post #389

Member No.: 18,763

Jared, awesome news man. I'll take that FJ40 and that 912 lol.

Maybe I can swing by and help get it timed and possibly see if we can get those carbs synced correctly.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 21 2022, 06:07 PM
Post #390

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Congratulations, Jared! A good woman in your life is better than a good car. Hard to believe, I know, but it's true. But a good woman AND a good car(s) is a real blessing.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jan 22 2022, 10:22 AM
Post #391

RN

Member No.: 2,766

I don’t know how I kept missing this thread.
What a fantastic build of saving that 914. Just brilliant. I admire your skills.
I Like your sense of humor and no fear of tackling these old cars. The FJ is very cool.
Congrats on the engagement!
Keep doing what your doing. Hope to meet up with you at car show in the future.
Cheers, Dion
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Jan 22 2022, 10:42 PM
Post #392

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jan 21 2022, 06:55 PM) *

Jared, awesome news man. I'll take that FJ40 and that 912 lol.

Maybe I can swing by and help get it timed and possibly see if we can get those carbs synced correctly.

Thank you! You don’t want em yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

I am going to look for another pair of carbs to try out, just to get a baseline and see if it might be something funny with one of the Dells I built. But possibly could help on a warmer day in the future.

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 21 2022, 07:07 PM) *

Congratulations, Jared! A good woman in your life is better than a good car. Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

I couldn’t agree more!
Not too far of a stretch, though, because I typically don’t have good cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(Dion @ Jan 22 2022, 11:22 AM) *

I don’t know how I kept missing this thread.
What a fantastic build of saving that 914. Just brilliant. I admire your skills.
I Like your sense of humor and no fear of tackling these old cars. The FJ is very cool.
Congrats on the engagement!
Keep doing what your doing. Hope to meet up with you at car show in the future.
Cheers, Dion

I appreciate the kind words. Thanks for checking it out, always a blast meeting guys from the World!
+Quote Post
DBF
post Jan 23 2022, 04:31 PM
Post #393

Member No.: 25,865
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I enjoyed reading the thread. Good luck with the car projects and getting the 914 in a better state of tune.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 23 2022, 04:41 PM
Post #394

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking cool great job on everything. I get to see the updates on the 912 and your doing a great job. I feel like those days are past me now but probably wrong. Keep up the good work
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Feb 7 2023, 08:31 AM
Post #395

Hey fellas,

I haven't updated in who knows how long... (it was over a year!)

Still have the 914. It was actually parked up at Translog in York for that long to get some service.

It was gone for 11 months and XX days. Many times I forgot I had it! Out of sight, out of mind.

They did great work on it. Didn't need tooooo too much - despite what my wallet sees. Turns out the motor I built was great and timed perfectly. They went through he fueling and ignition systems though. I had a mismatch of fuel pressure gauges, carbs, fuel pump, etc. Also had an improperly ohmed coil. They repaired a oil leak (pushrod tubes) that I believe was my fault - probably pinched an o-ring during install.

It now runs SUPER strong.

Certainly was really thrilled to get it back and put some miles on it. Still do not have heat installed so it's been a couple of cool rides, but totally enjoyable - with gloves on.

Here are a few photos...

At drop off a year ago:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1675780279.1.jpg)

On the drive home:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1675780280.2.jpg)

Out for a cruise:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1675780280.3.jpg)

My thoughts
:

Still a lot to do. Some small issues with being a 53 year old vehicle. Some seals that need replaced.... need to add a blower motor and the rest of the heat goodies.

- The motor
is GREAT. Translog did a very nice job. Pulls super strong sounds really sturdy on the highway. Seriously - I am totally happy with the 1911. I can't imagine having much more in a car of this size!
That thought might wear off soon, but it's zippy and thrilling to drive.

- The transmission SUCKS, but a few hours of driving you really just get used to it.
Occasionally 1st gear is 3rd, yatta yatta. That seems to happen whenever I am at a red light while your the 1st in line, on a hill with someone behind me, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

- The paint is embarrassingly bad, didn't bother me a few years ago, but now, getting it back a year later its a bit of a bummer. It's not really a good patina, just several different splotchy shades of green. The passenger side is much worse, (since I had to cut into the body for the hell hole)

I do have a pal that owns a wrap shop - considering wrapping it an OE color like Olive or the same Irish Green that my rear bonnet is wrapped (I believe I talked about that in this thread 2 or so years ago.)
Would last several years and wouldn't be in the hole 3-10k that I don't have to spend on this car.

Could be out the door for less than a grand and have a 914 that's one color that I will be able to enjoy and be proud of this summer. Very tempting.

Anyways... here's two quick clips of me driving it.

Ignore that squeak! It comes and goes.

Backroad drive - Youtube Short

Highway Drive - Youtube Short

Thanks for reading!

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 7 2023, 08:51 AM
Post #396

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Thanks for the update. Glad you are getting some seat time. If you are going with a wrap, I would try the Olive color. Don't get me wrong, I love Irish Green, but wraps tend to be temporary, so a great opportunity to experiment with a different color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Feb 7 2023, 10:06 AM
Post #397

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2023, 09:51 AM) *

If you are going with a wrap, I would try the Olive color. Don't get me wrong, I love Irish Green, but wraps tend to be temporary, so a great opportunity to experiment with a different color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Cheers @Cairo94507 !

The wrap shop uses Inozotek which bases most of their color off OE Porsche colors.

Mostly renamed, but for example they have Fjord Green, The pink pig color, Acid Green, Miami Blue, Olive, Ruby star, etc.

Here is the Olive I liked:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1675785972.1.png)

And a screen shot of their Porsche based gloss colors:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23209-1675785972.2.jpg)

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Dion
post Feb 7 2023, 12:55 PM
Post #398

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Great to hear from ya. Glad the engine is sorted.
Hmmmm ,Acid Green gets my vote. Have fun!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 7 2023, 06:45 PM
Post #399

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Sounds like a victory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

New wife who puts up with this 914 nonsense and a running project.

Hats off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 7 2023, 07:38 PM
Post #400

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Jared - we can talk heater parts. Just like backdated heat on a 911, the engine blower motor doesn’t make the car hotter, it just helps send heat into the cabin at idle. I drove my 1.7 on days with temp in the teens and there was plenty of heat. I would sometimes blip the throttle at a long light but always had to throttle it back from full, once the engine was warm. The engine fan moves the heat well at anything above idle. I have a pile of heat exchanger flapper boxes so I got you covered there. I have extra heat diverter pieces in the stash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

21 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:21 PM