Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 73 headlight issues, Lights pop up, won't turn on
pastormacman
post Mar 23 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,382

So I searched and read through this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...eadlight++relay

But it didn't quite cover what I was looking for. But I did notice a couple of people asking if the car was a '73. Mine is a '73. But I didn't see anyone say why that mattered. Is there something specific about the '73 model that has headlight issues?

Anyway, here's my issue: With the battery connected and the ignition switch on, when I pull out the headlight switch, both lights flip up but neither lights up.

A little history: This is the same car that you all have been helping me get started in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...eadlight++relay

Part of the problem this community helped me figure out was that my ignition switch was broken. So I replaced it with a new one. So I have a new, working ignition switch.

I thought that maybe the high beam/low beam relay had gone bad, so I bought a new one from Automobile Atlanta. Like you can see in the pic, it has five posts, and the description says that it fits 70-76 914. However, when I removed the old one from the car, it only had four posts and four wires connected. So I connected the wires to the corresponding posts on the new relay and left the fifth post empty.

Attached Image
Attached Image

After installing the relay, I still had the same problem: The lights flip up, but won't turn on.

Another monkey wrench: my turn signal stalk is broken. The internal mechanism flops around all over the place and the turn signal swings loosely. I know that the turn signal stalk is also the high beam/low beam switch so I'm wondering if that could cause the lights to not turn on.

What are your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:53 PM