Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pumping gas? Wear a disposable glove
gandalf_025
post Mar 26 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2020, 02:00 PM) *

I hate litterbugs and always have. Shows a complete lack of respect for people and the community. If it were me sitting on the bench in court, any litterbug would be fined $5K and 500 hours community service cleaning the streets and highways. Can't pay, go sit in jail for 90 days actual and then do your 500 hours.

I get pissed off when I see people let their dogs shit
anywhere and don’t pick it up....
Even worse are those that do pick it up and drop the
bag and walk away...
I’ve confronted people and they say..We were gonna
pick it up on the way back... Yeah, it is still there the
next day....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 26 2020, 07:51 AM
Post #22

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 25 2020, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2020, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 24 2020, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 24 2020, 10:24 AM) *

PSA: The virus is being spread at gas pumps and their keypads, so unless you are a manly man with total immunity, glove up and then toss before getting back into your car.

Toss in trash (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The parking lot at Safeway was littered with gloves last week.

Yes, trash. You have to wonder what is wrong with some people when they think it's ok to just drop their trash on the ground.

Absolutely.
I've picked up litter and handed it back to litterbugs.
Plain ignorance.
My wife and kids say I'll get shot someday.
Not touching anything these days.

I hate litterbugs and always have. Shows a complete lack of respect for people and the community. If it were me sitting on the bench in court, any litterbug would be fined $5K and 500 hours community service cleaning the streets and highways. Can't pay, go sit in jail for 90 days actual and then do your 500 hours.
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 26 2020, 09:25 AM) *

I get pissed off when I see people let their dogs shit
anywhere and don’t pick it up....
Even worse are those that do pick it up and drop the
bag and walk away...
I’ve confronted people and they say..We were gonna
pick it up on the way back... Yeah, it is still there the
next day....

same here, it drives me crazy and have confronted litter butts before, one was a guy throwing his cigarette butt half burned still burning on the ground, asked him if he was going to pick that up, I got out picked it up and threw it in his car, asked him if he didn't like it maybe he'd prefer a $500 fine, the other was a guy leaving their dog shit bag on the road in front of our house(gated community) - followed them home and threw it on their yard so they could see it. NO I an not putting up with that crap especially in my neighborhood. I have to say I have not seen gloves discarded in parking lots around here like you guy have seen in your areas, but in general there I have found over the years there is a general lack of care from certain back grounds of people, both socio-economical but also just culturally and continentally. but I have to say if you go to my home town in MN, and I observed this many years ago, and it is still true, and that is either Scandinavian or German heritage peoples tend to have a heritage and pride about cleanliness. Even in the poorest areas of my home town, you didn't ever see trash or junk in the yard. A car that broke down was removed not left, the yard is well kept, the house clean and maintained, no matter how poor they are, but that kind of behavior is to much a degree taught, learned. Why do we need rules in a community or a gated neighborhood that requires people to do this?? because they were not taught this, and it was not part of their heritage. in fact growing up in the mid-west I never saw the kind of trash in ditches and cars in yards etc until I move to the southeast(SC). it is an interesting sociological discussion. sorry for the rant, but I think if you really pay attention to this you will see it does follow a heritage or person group, not just necessarily a socio-economic groups. I have a friend that goes to other countries on mission work and has observed the same thing. He told me xxxxx country does not have a culture of what he called "maintaining". if it breaks or quits, leave it on the side of the road, broken down crap all over the roads.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Mar 26 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #23

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

Back to the hazard at the gas pump

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 26 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Besides the arm halfway up her bunghole, look at all the ciggy butts on the ground...AT a fuching gas pump!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 26 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2020, 10:05 AM) *

Besides the arm halfway up her bunghole, look at all the ciggy butts on the ground...AT a fuching gas pump!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Had to put it out somewhere . . . just like the sign said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Reminds me of the song "Signs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epbOHloSpZM
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 26 2020, 10:16 AM
Post #26

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

speaking of pumping gas- one slight benefit of the drop in oil price and current economic issues , cheapest gas i’ve bought for 15 years!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 26 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Trying to remember the last time I saw a "1" on the front of a gallon of gas in CA.

Last time I saw a "0." on gas was regular unleaded at an ARCO in the early 1990s.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 26 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 26 2020, 12:59 PM) *

Trying to remember the last time I saw a "1" on the front of a gallon of gas in CA.

Last time I saw a "0." on gas was regular unleaded at an ARCO in the early 1990s.

Don't think you'll ever see a 0 again. Too much inflation due to money printing since 1990's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

In case no one noticed, there will be another giant round of money printing related to COVID. Spend those $ and buy real assets while you can before prices go up even more.
+Quote Post
NS914
post Mar 26 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,455

QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 25 2020, 02:10 PM) *

Indeed. Glad I have a couple boxes of disposable gloves in the garage.

For those who blatantly disregard following safe practices, you're not only endangering yourself, you're endangering the lives others.

This is such an important comment...the OP may have been joking for sure but truly, try to be a good role model for your kids and all around you...take this seriously...it has taken off all over the world and in North America re USA and Canada....it is now moving very quickly and killing a lot of people....now including young people...this is not just about older, resp compromised, pre existing conditions....very healthy people are being afflicted!

Think of those around you and in your neighborhood and community.

Grant
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 26 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #30

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

I just use my work gloves that i keep in the car. The virus can't survive long enough outside a human body to last between fillups.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

+Quote Post
NS914
post Mar 26 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 10,455

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2020, 09:46 AM) *

Gloves are not all the protection you may think they are, viruses cling quite well to latex.

Wash you hands, don't touch your face, your mouth, eyes, nose are the most like entry points. My wife can't stress this enough, the average person touches their face 20 times an hour. Hands in your pockets! If you must scratch you face use a Kleenex.
If you do use gloves wash your hands as soon as you take them off. If you use gloves in high risk areas you have to remove them (and wash) before before entering your safe areas. Viruses stick best on hard non porous surfaces, Stainless steel, hard plastic, tap handles, phones, door handles, shopping cart handles, etc.

Number one is if you don't have to go anywhere stay home. If you do have to go out no crowds, 2 meters (6-7 feet) social distancing.

Mark, you and your wife are dead on!

Grant
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 26 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Unfortunately as an engieer by trade, I'm data driven. Let's keep the data in perspective.

Deaths from the seasonal flu US only
Attached Image

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

World wide deaths attributable to Coronavirus
Attached Image

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it or anyone else to catch Corona but we've lost our minds.

Yes, I understand Corona isn't over, and hasn't peaked yet. I will continue to be data driven and not driven by fear and emotion.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 26 2020, 04:28 PM
Post #33

Resident German

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:23 PM) *
I'm data driven

If you were really "data driven" you would know how to put two sets of numbers in relation to each other.

Your "apples to oranges" approach is anything but "data driven". Our interns can do better than that.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 26 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:23 PM) *
I'm data driven

If you were really "data driven" you would know how to put two sets of numbers in relation to each other.

Your "apples to oranges" approach is anything but "data driven". Our interns can do better than that.

We will never have apples to apples deaths between the US only and the World. Especially so in light of the criteria currently being used to overstate Corona deaths. But I'll roll with the current worldwide Corona number as stated which is surely being stated as high as possible.

However the fact reamins World wide COVID deaths (as of today) are less than US deaths in past years of the simple flu.

Even if we want to talk about US only. Look at the seasonal flu affected population for US. Approximately 10%. We are no where near 10% of the US population affected by Corona. We're a far cry from 30M-40M of US affected population for the seasonal flu and it's associated deaths.

From previous link for country by country COVID

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 26 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

All you need to do to get a true sense of what’s happening is to talk to a health care professional who is currently working in a hospital. It’s terrible and only getting worse.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 26 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #36

Resident German

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:38 PM) *
However the fact reamins World wide COVID deaths (as of today) are less than US deaths in past years of the simple flu.

So you admit that you don't know how to related those numbers correctly?

In order to get anything meaningful out of comparing covid-19 to the normal flu you need to use the ratio of infected people vs dead people and compare those ratios.

Comparing the absolute numbers does not tell you anything about the death rate. This is simple 3rd grade math.

PS: The whole purpose of the current "stay at home" response is to keep the total number of infected people low. Because if we just let it run and we get as many people infected as the normal flu does each year, we won't have enough cemetery space to bury all the dead.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 26 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 07:23 PM) *

In order to get anything meaningful out of comparing covid-19 to the normal flu you need to use the ratio of infected people vs dead people and compare those ratios.

Comparing the absolute numbers does not tell you anything about the death rate. This is simple 3rd grade math.

PS: The whole purpose of the current "stay at home" response is to keep the total number of infected people low. Because if we just let it run and we get as many people infected as the normal flu does each year, we won't have enough cemetery space to bury all the dead.

Please post the number that you would like to use and we'll do the 3rd grade math. May I suggest that we start with the number of COVID infected people?
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 26 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,459

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 07:23 PM) *

Please take this seriously since it is substantial problem for everyone especially the poor healthcare workers that must deal with this scary situation.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 26 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

I’m sensing it might be time to let this thread get archived.

It’s nice, and I’d suggest important, to keep this forum free of politics.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 26 2020, 05:47 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I’m sensing it might be time to let this thread get archived.

It’s nice, and I’d suggest important, to keep this forum free of politics.

I'm game for that. I've let this get a little to far out of hand. No disrespect to anyone intended and I thank @SirAndy for letting it go on this long. Honetly, I appreciate the debate and the pushback and most certainly that SirAndy could have shut me down any time he wanted to.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:02 PM