Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pumping gas? Wear a disposable glove
RickS
post Mar 26 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

The OP, me, was only kidding about manly men which is secret code for men who think the virus is not real and choose to take their, and others, lives in their own hands - so to speak. The rest was dead serious. With ongoing glove shortages, I like the idea of hanging on to the glove you used, that’s if it ages at least 15 days. 15 days is today’s news about how long the virus can survive on a hard surface.

Wife and I have a used glove clothesline in the garage, where we date the used date, and then hang them for 20 days before reuse. Will do this until gloves become available again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Mar 26 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I’m sensing it might be time to let this thread get archived.

It’s nice, and I’d suggest important, to keep this forum free of politics.

I'm game for that. I've let this get a little to far out of hand. No disrespect to anyone intended and I thank @SirAndy for letting it go on this long. Honetly, I appreciate the debate and the pushback and most certainly that SirAndy could have shut me down any time he wanted to.

I.m an engineer and your basis is comparing to two different sets in an attempt to correlate the result while at the same time stating that the data input is entirely and absolutely correct and then drawing conclusions that you believe are absolutely correct.

Frankly I surprised that Andy actually engaged the discussion

That is my observation from your statements.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 26 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I don't notice a difference in much of anything here in Orange County. Other than the traffic is a lot lighter getting to work and no toilet paper, quite normal. My clients aren't cancelling. I don't know anybody who is sick and I don't know anybody who has died. I know that is anecdotal, but going around like scared cats is not my thing.

All we have is media telling us the sky is falling and that we are doomed. I don't buy it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 26 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #44

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

true totals exposed individuals are not know but not long ago when reported positive tests were about 50,000, one of the CDC scientists estimates there were most likely about 1,000,000 actual exposed in the U.S. at that time deaths rate was .3% based on “known” exposures. it this is the case then we are actually talking deathrates much less than flu, but truth be told we don’t know exactly how many are truely exposed. one thing we can agree on, no matter how many it’s too many. might be able to keep it from becoming yearly cyclical reoccurring issue like flu. hopefully we can keep that from happening with current measures being taken, if not it’s going to be pretty bad.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Mar 26 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 26 2020, 05:30 PM) *

I don't notice a difference in much of anything here in Orange County. Other than the traffic is a lot lighter getting to work and no toilet paper, quite normal. My clients aren't cancelling. I don't know anybody who is sick and I don't know anybody who has died. I know that is anecdotal, but going around like scared cats is not my thing.

All we have is media telling us the sky is falling and that we are doomed. I don't buy it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I bought Boeing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Bmw635
post Mar 26 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 23,943

$1.xx per gal gas price in S Cal. https://abc7.com/6049010
+Quote Post
jfort
post Mar 27 2020, 10:30 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 02:06 PM) *

I just use my work gloves that i keep in the car. The virus can't survive long enough outside a human body to last between fillups.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Can't find hand sanitizer anywhere. I am carrying my shop "Tub of Towels" in the car and wash my hands with a new one throughout the day. Doesn't have the required 60% alcohol but I figure it's better than nothing. Full blown sink and soap routine at home, shop and office.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 27 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #48

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Something else to keep in mind when comparing Covid-19 to the "regular flu" is that a vaccine doesn't exist (yet). The deaths for the flu would likely be less if more people got vaccinated.
Deaths from Covid-19 will continue to climb without an effective vaccine and as people dismiss the warnings. If everyone similarly dismissed warnings, the situation would be even worse than it already is. For those going on about their lives as if this wasn't a big deal, the situation could still eventually improve, but it won't be because of you.

There are also indications that people who have recovered from Covid-19 could incur permanent lung damage. 20-30% reduction in lung capacity has been observed in a small sample of people who have recovered. If true, it would probably mean that those people more likely to die if re-infected.

There's science-based information here, including a study showing how long it lives on various surfaces and a link to all of the research data that's been submitted so far:

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-ne...c-research.html
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Mar 27 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #49

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I’m sensing it might be time to let this thread get archived.

It’s nice, and I’d suggest important, to keep this forum free of politics.

I haven't seen politics in this forum (thankfully). Just people who disagree on how to view this crisis and interpret the data. Discourse is never a bad thing. But remember, If you're not an epidemiologist, doctor or infectious disease professional, your opinion is unqualified. That doesn't mean it's wrong...just coming from opinion and not experience. This is one of those times where a little knowledge, combined with the bully pulpit of social media, can be a very dangerous thing.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 27 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I live in one of the 2 states in the country where you can't pump your own gas (Oregon and NJ). So problem solved.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Mar 27 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 27 2020, 01:59 PM) *

I live in one of the 2 states in the country where you can't pump your own gas (Oregon and NJ). So problem solved.

I'll bet that provides for an interesting interaction with the station attendant when you pull up in your 914.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 27 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #52

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 27 2020, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 27 2020, 01:59 PM) *

I'll bet that provides for an interesting interaction with the station attendant when you pull up in your 914.

I grew up in NJ and drove my 914 during high school. I quickly learned to open and close my hood. I had to open it or the guys just looked for the fill at the back of the car. I had to shut it myself since the they would either try to slam it shut or press too hard on the hood.
And most of the time they complemented me on the nice Fiat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Mar 27 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 20,670

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 26 2020, 11:16 AM) *

speaking of pumping gas- one slight benefit of the drop in oil price and current economic issues , cheapest gas i’ve bought for 15 years!!

I paid $1.999 for premium last Saturday and $1.599 for regular. I should have waited though...it's 5 cents cheaper today. Never thought I'd see sub $2 premium gas.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Mar 27 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 17,908

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Mar 27 2020, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 26 2020, 11:16 AM) *

speaking of pumping gas- one slight benefit of the drop in oil price and current economic issues , cheapest gas i’ve bought for 15 years!!

I paid $1.999 for premium last Saturday and $1.599 for regular. I should have waited though...it's 5 cents cheaper today. Never thought I'd see sub $2 premium gas.

I just posted in the Sandbox. My daughter filled up in southern Wisconsin for $0.999
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:25 AM