Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 73 Rear Brake Caliper, Leaking Caliper
frostyf
post Mar 25 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,168
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wanted to ask fro some advice from those who know.
My right rear caliper (4 stud stock 73 914 wheel) has started leaking. I've recently adjusted the venting distance whilst repairing the handbrake/ebrake.

I've ordered two rebuild seal kits but wondered if anyone knows where to get replacement pins and the spring spreader clip. I've looked online and there seem to be plenty for front calipers? Are they the same, are the front pins interchangeable with the rear?

Thank you in advance,
Nick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
davep
post Mar 25 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Ribe! Unless you are mechanically highly skilled, let PMB do the refurb. It takes several special tools and lots of experience to do a rebuild properly. Even then, the replated parts that PMB uses are not available to the home rebuilder.
The pins and spreaders are nearly unique, so finding them is very hard.
The most likely source of leaks is from the O-rings on the adjusters. The outer one is very tricky to replace; I use a special tool for that one.
Sure, in the video it looks easy, but that is in he hands of an expert. So far I am just an ex-squirt with 45 years of experience fixing them.

Oh yeah. If you are going to use the Ribe bit, use it only to hold the head of the bolt and turn the nuts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:18 AM