Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Older Elite II Haulmark trailer
jhynesrockmtn
post Mar 26 2020, 08:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have been looking for an enclosed trailer to haul my 914 race car and when needed trailer a 356 project. I was looking at more standard and cheap 8.5 by 20, name the cheap brand, slightly used.

I ran across an older 99, 18ft, Haulmark Elite II race trailer. It has a winch and awning which I would add to a trailer and a top deck which I would not and it looks weird on a small trailer. It may come in handy for storage though.

Any experience with these. Are they better built than the generic trailersplus.com trailers? It has new tires and looks to be on decent shape. Of course I will go look at it.
They are asking $6,500 which seems steep for a 20 year old trailer. Is $5,500 too much?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Mar 26 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Haulmark is a good trairer but just like every thing they get old. I have a 32' Classic that sold around 60k new but it flexs a lot now, it's an 01 with about 100k on it. That being said, you can buy a new 18 x 8 box for under $5k.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 26 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #3

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I got a 14' x 7' cargo trailer last year for $3000, that was only a year old and felt like I got a good deal. I mainly got it for our move, but a 914 or 964 will barely fit in the trailer; I just haven't to haul one yet so I don't have a winch or tie downs for a car.

Looks like that one has features you need, which is a plus. The upper rack does look kind of odd, but probably a good place to put extra wheels. Seems to me $5-5500 is probably a fair price, depending on condition. Be sure to check age and condition of tires and trailer brakes. You can get away with older tires for shorter lower speed hauls, but there's a risk.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Mar 26 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

I bought my trailer from a county auction for 3200.00. It had good mechanicals because they had it on a maintenance schedule. Needed some cleaning up a bit but for that money I couldn't beat it.
If I remember right its 28 feet long. Plenty wide for my 914.
Id pay extra for some more room in the trailer. Its so nice not to be all jammed in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Mar 26 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Mar 26 2020, 12:52 PM) *

I bought my trailer from a county auction for 3200.00. It had good mechanicals because they had it on a maintenance schedule. Needed some cleaning up a bit but for that money I couldn't beat it.
If I remember right its 28 feet long. Plenty wide for my 914.
Id pay extra for some more room in the trailer. Its so nice not to be all jammed in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the replies. Storage of the trailer is one reason I want it on the smaller side. Just not too small. I had figured on a 20' but I think an 18' might work. It will go beside my shop and I'm already storing our 24ft. travel trailer as well. I may just low ball these folks and see what they think. I can't go look at it right now anyway :-(
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 27 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A buddy and I both bought Elite II trailers back in the 90s. And both got roof leaks along one side, that led to rusting of the steel frame uprights inside the wall. Be careful.
+Quote Post
80’s old school
post Apr 1 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,994
Region Association: Southern California

I have a 2000 Haulmark 24’ just like this. Great trailer. Very well built and still holding up excellent after all these years.

I do suggest at least 24’ though.

+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Apr 2 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #8

The owner was pissed that I sent a nicely worded exploratory offer and responded in all CAPS about it being way too low. She can sit on it and will probably sell it for less than what I told her I thought it was worth.

I ended up finding a basically new 2019 Cargo Mate outfitted as a car hauler with upgraded heavy duty axles, escape hatch, fully finished interior. Basically all of the upgrades. The owner used it for a 500 mile haul and then parked it. He threw in a new in the box weight distribution set up, strap set, spare set up. Not a killer deal at $7k but I felt it was fair. Will be adding a winch, covering the floor and adding some storage, etc.
Towed great on the trip home.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:46 AM