Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine tear down, Engine help
BeatNavy
post Apr 12 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #21

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Also, when you do assemble and install the cam, pay special attention to those bolts to make sure you have clearance against the case. I'm not sure how often it happens, but I had a small clearance issue that required some minor grinding on my part to make sure everything rotated cleanly.

Good luck. Getting it back together and hearing it fire up (and not blow up) is very satisfying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
simonjb
post May 31 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #22

KiwiMan

Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

So I am now starting the rebuild after the tear down, cleaning, new parts, testing, etc....One question, I am putting in new barrels, pistons and cam, pins, bearings etc, but keeping the original crank which was tested and is in good shape. In addition, all 4 crank rods checked out. However, I assume I should replace the 4 round bushings at the small end of the rods. From what I have read, this isn't a do-it-yourself home job, but instead should be done by local machine shop. Am I correct?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 31 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Ohhh man...that engine stand is a recipe for disaster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Those cheap engine stands are crap, over on the samba a guy sells reasonable priced 3 arm stands.
And I hope that bench is screwed to the wall. As soon as you add the weight of the crank and P&C's the whole thing, bench and all, will fall on it's nose.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
simonjb
post May 31 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #24

KiwiMan

Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 31 2020, 06:14 PM) *

Ohhh man...that engine stand is a recipe for disaster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Those cheap engine stands are crap, over on the samba a guy sells reasonable priced 3 arm stands.
And I hope that bench is screwed to the wall. As soon as you add the weight of the crank and P&C's the whole thing, bench and all, will fall on it's nose.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

No, it won’t. There is an Alfa Romeo engine inside the crate. And I’m only using it to do one half.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 31 2020, 09:11 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(simonjb @ Jun 1 2020, 11:42 AM) *

So I am now starting the rebuild after the tear down, cleaning, new parts, testing, etc....One question, I am putting in new barrels, pistons and cam, pins, bearings etc, but keeping the original crank which was tested and is in good shape. In addition, all 4 crank rods checked out. However, I assume I should replace the 4 round bushings at the small end of the rods. From what I have read, this isn't a do-it-yourself home job, but instead should be done by local machine shop. Am I correct?

Attached Image

Yep not DIY,I have found these stand up fairly well but with piston pins worn on cold start you hear a noise like ticking it soon go's away after the engine warms up.
The new lubed piston pins should be a firm push to pass through the rods.
Best to replace,EMW have speced rebushed rods for a great price ,last time I checked it was $55 for 4...excellent value from a good shop and most likely cheaper than the small end bushes to fit and ream somewhere else.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 31 2020, 11:03 PM
Post #26

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Have you had the case checked and / or decked? 50 years on, there's a good case that the registers need to be trued up. Usually on the 3/4 side. If the registers are off, the head won't seal to the cylinders properly and you'll have to tear the whole thing down to fix it. I'm going through this right now on a 2.0 engine. #4 register is .020 out. Ugh.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:16 PM