Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fan Club (horizontal type), Archive pics from '05
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 30 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

In 2005, "Excellence" magazine showcased my bi-turbo, black 9146 gt-tribute car. My good friend Marco G. of @TLG_auto (North Hollywood, Ca.) was a contributing photographer/ writer for the magazine...as well as a 1st Class air-cooled Porsche tech. Pete Stout was at the helm of "Excellence", and the car must have been one of the few 914s to ruffle the feathers of the status quo 911 readership. We always knew that Pete had a love for the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Here's a splash of pics given to me by Marco just after the article hit.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 30 2020, 09:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Flat fan
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 30 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

You now have quite the collection of exotic 914's
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 30 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Zooming in ... cold start injector sits atop the re-positioned throttle body housing. The 7th injector is in a "Boost-circuit" which sprays extra fuel mist triggering at 7 psi . The small brass sender just Right of the injector is an intake air temp probe, which gives me readings of after-intercooler temps.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 30 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Last pic for now... I had this license plate frame custom made at the old Valley Indoor Swapmeet in 1978. The car was a narrow body 2.7L single turbo then...but it would whip just about anything on the street, and a decent reliable club racer.
People would actually ask if it was actually all stock, so I agreed Yes of course. The idea came to me from another plate that I've seen:
"Trust me, I'm your Lawyer". The stenciling on the rear valence says PORSCHE in Japanese. My old Rosemead Blvd. shop was in the heartland of the new JDM movement. Of course you could never get on the freeway without having a modified Supra, Accura or Nissan to spank on the long straight Blvd leading up to the 60 freeway. At this time I was running a 3L bi-turbo, with methanol injection.
The 914 (not a real Porsche) really had no badging...so I got skilled in a little calligraphy ! Today the rear valence reads GOT BOOST?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 30 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 30 2020, 08:22 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

You now have quite the collection of exotic 914's

2 in white and 2 in black, next one should be ...¿ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Mar 30 2020, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) every time I see you car I’m amazed at the engineering and detail you put into the car. I could stare at it for days.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 31 2020, 12:20 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Mar 30 2020, 09:00 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) every time I see you car I’m amazed at the engineering and detail you put into the car. I could stare at it for days.

Thank you Ravi, details are everything !
The donor fan came from an IMSA March84g with 962 power. The busted engine wound up for a rebuild at a friends shop...wherein the team decided to sell it As-Is. I was in the hunt for an entire horizontal fan assembly, and was over the moon when I got the call (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 31 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #9

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

Just wondering what powers the flat fan? Obviously it's not belt driven so it's either electric or shaft & gears. Oh yea, I want one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 31 2020, 09:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 31 2020, 07:34 AM) *

Just wondering what powers the flat fan? Obviously it's not belt driven so it's either electric or shaft & gears. Oh yea, I want one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You had it right there !
The fan is serpentine-belt driven via the front of the crankshaft. 917's take this drive from the center of the crankshaft via internal gears...right up the middle to the top of engine.
Back to the 6 cyl type; continuing from the front crank pulley, there is another upper pulley (and tensioner pulley) located higher (and parallel) to the crank pulley. Its steel axel sits in a magnesium housing that is nestled (strapped & bolted) into the upper portion of the 911 engine case (curved contour area) of the normal front fan. This casting also houses an internal axel (lubricated with engine oil pressure. This axel has a bevel gear-set which meshes and directs the final drive (90°) upwards...which is what spins the fan. The Porsche part number for the latest (last design) is 911/78 which delivered the most cfm cooling air delivery, which is the unit that you see here.
I'll dig up the factory cfm specs and post later. YES it does rob BHP off of the crankshaft...but minimal and we can run more boost to compensate.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 31 2020, 09:49 AM
Post #11

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 31 2020, 11:02 AM) *

You had it right there !
The fan is serpentine-belt driven via the front of the crankshaft. 917's take this drive from the center of the crankshaft via internal gears...right up the middle to the top of engine.
Back to the 6 cyl type; continuing from the front crank pulley, there is another upper pulley (and tensioner pulley) located higher (and parallel) to the crank pulley. Its steel axel sits in a magnesium housing that is nestled (strapped & bolted) into the upper portion of the 911 engine case (curved contour area) of the normal front fan. This casting also houses an internal axel (lubricated with engine oil pressure. This axel has a bevel gear-set which meshes and directs the final drive (90°) upwards...which is what spins the fan. The Porsche part number for the latest (last design) is 935/78 which delivered the most cfm cooling air delivery, which is the unit that you see here.
I'll dig up the factory cfm specs and post later. YES it does rob BHP off of the crankshaft...but minimal and we can run more boost to compensate.

Cool & thanks for the info. Been in love with the flat fan ever since I saw LeMans for the 1st time. I had no idea it was belt driven in the six since Porsche did a much better job of concealing the belt than Chevy did. Probably easier to change the belt in the Corvair though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 31 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 31 2020, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 31 2020, 11:02 AM) *

You had it right there !
Back to the 6 cyl type; continuing from the front crank pulley, there is another upper pulley (and tensioner pulley) located higher (and parallel) to the crank pulley. Its steel axel sits in a magnesium housing that is nestled (strapped & bolted) into the upper portion of the 911 engine case (curved contour area) of the normal front fan. This casting also houses an internal axel (lubricated with engine oil pressure. This axel has a bevel gear-set which meshes and directs the final drive (90°) upwards...which is what spins the fan. The Porsche part number for the latest (last design) is 935/78 which delivered the most cfm cooling air delivery, which is the unit that you see here.

Cool & thanks for the info. Been in love with the flat fan ever since I saw LeMans for the 1st time. I had no idea it was belt driven in the six since Porsche did a much better job of concealing the belt than Chevy did. Probably easier to change the belt in the Corvair though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

For street use Corvair was a great flat fan design, even uses oil galley lubrication. Problem with "Bending " the V-belt into a different direction = belt slip & dropping a belt if used in spirited competition.
Ask me how I know ¿¿ For short 20 min autocross runs, my Corvair pals squirt wd-40 all around the v-belt and pulleys ...keeps them happy for a short while. Porsche uses a Guibo up on top of the fan, which counters abrupt fan oscillations from upshifts/ downshifts.
The 1st iterations of RSR flat-fans used v-belts, 2nd gens all had the serpentine, and the tensioner.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 31 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Some specs on the type 911/78 cooling fan, from Porsche Kundendienst / Ludwigsburg. Herr Olaf Lang (the late) took the time to research for me. Great guy from the factory...we met in the 90's at one of the Porsche Historics / Laguna Seca. He drove Penske's 917/30 that weekend !
Fax machines were the way to get it done then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Apr 1 2020, 04:47 AM
Post #14

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Hey Marty, it seems that I am fallowing in your footsteps again and I am on a path that I think you can give me some guidance on. Now that my search for #40 is over and I probably couldn't talk the new owner out of her for $500K I'll have to go onto another of my 914 fantasies and it will require a unique fan.
I first saw your car in Camarillo in '05. I saw it from more than 100' and was in love... When I got closer I noticed the engine bay was opened, I stepped a little closer and my Hart stopped. Excuse the French...(AFUCKENHORIZANTAL FAN?...) Who the Falcon is this guy. So Howard introduced me to Marty and I took home a pair of MSDS headers from the auction for my conversion (Carerror back then, AR 14 today)...
I personally feel that there are 4 extremely unique 914 today. 3 of them have horizontal fans, and the other is number 40. Marty owens 2 of them, the Porsche museum Owens the other 2.
So Marty my question is, How does one obtain a Horizontal fan today? As my other 914 fantasy involves an air-cooled 8.
GO MARTY...
I think an air-cooled 8 would go nicely in this car. Since I'll never owen #40 now.

Attached Image
Fucken perfect, driving on the roof. WTF
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 1 2020, 06:23 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Marty how does the fan rpm exceed the engine rpm down low and then drop 1000rpm slower the crank rpm up top?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 1 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 1 2020, 08:23 AM) *

Marty how does the fan rpm exceed the engine rpm down low and then drop 1000rpm slower the crank rpm up top?

Good eye Ben. The non linear progression doesn't make sense.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 1 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 1 2020, 05:23 AM) *

Ben, Excellent question for the Ludwigsburg brain trust (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The specs are from Porsche customer service (kundendienst) and even they need to be accountable for information passed to us.
I figure that there are enough 935, 962, private engine building shops around today...maybe a few will chime in here.
My thoughts was that the elasticity of the guibo was causing the phenomena of the rpm/ differences.
Marty
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 1 2020, 08:41 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Joe...914 resting easy now
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 1 2020, 08:58 AM
Post #19

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@Maltese Falcon
@mb911
[/quote]

Ben, Excellent question for the Ludwigsburg brain trust (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The specs are from Porsche customer service (kundendienst) and even they need to be accountable for information passed to us.
I figure that there are enough 935, 962, private engine building shops around today...maybe a few will chime in here.
My thoughts was that the elasticity of the guibo was causing the phenomena of the rpm/ differences.
Marty
[/quote]

I wonder if a Corvair fan could be used with a run-in pulley like are used on some modern alternators?
+Quote Post
bretth
post Apr 1 2020, 09:15 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Saw a flat fan assembly online for $25,000. I could swear someone else was making reproductions for around $4k but can't seem to find it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:17 AM