Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new video - GT build at PMB Coachwerks, for your quarantined entertainment...
iankarr
post Mar 31 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hey Guys,

Check out how Eric and the gang are building an amazing GT...

What else you gonna do today for 26 minutes?

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7IbtLogO8

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 31 2020, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for posting that video. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Eric is a great guy as are you for taking the time and effort to do that for all of us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Mar 31 2020, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks Ian, best video to date.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Its that 4 year wait time that’s a killer plus the year plus build process. Great work if you have the time.

This questions for Ben.....What’s your thoughts on his 40 plus HP gain by adding larger tubing to reduce exhaust restriction ???
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 31 2020, 10:19 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Well.... I raised my eyebrows at that claim too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Mar 31 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #5

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Great Video Ian! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Nice to get the inside scoop.
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Mar 31 2020, 11:13 AM
Post #6

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

Love that guy!

….. wow.... my car sucks. I thought ALL 914s were filthy underneath. I'm gonna start scrubbing!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 31 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Nice video, so much detail.

Lots of work on those cars, good work Eric and crew.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 31 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 31 2020, 08:09 AM) *

Thanks Ian, best video to date.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Its that 4 year wait time that’s a killer plus the year plus build process. Great work if you have the time.

This questions for Ben.....What’s your thoughts on his 40 plus HP gain by adding larger tubing to to reduce exhaust restriction ???

Great question .. So a couple thoughts.. The theory is that there is 40hp gain from lets say a stock 3.2 engine with stock 914-6 heat exchangers versus lets just say msds 1.625 headers? With nothing else done to increase the efficiency of the air pump?

I would agree that the choke point is the collector and the best option would be to increase the diameter of the collector and use a reverse cone f1 merge.. I could definitely do that however this is not typical hp gain of a stock engine..

I could really deep dive into this but not going to as I appreciate PMB and everyones involvement.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Mar 31 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 107

Nice Video!
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Mar 31 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Another Great video Ian...Thank you.

Sorry to say, but Eric outshined you on this one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

All your efforts are greatly appreciated.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Oscar

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Mar 31 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #11

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 31 2020, 06:59 PM) *

Sorry to say, but Eric outshined you on this one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Oscar

Not taking anything away from Eric, but that's not hard to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 31 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I really got into Eric showing and explaining the small details that go into the build. Bob’s #41 car was cool to start but PMB is taking to the next level. I’m not surprised he has a 4 year wait.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 31 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

In the video Eric mentions Dick Troutman...he is the guy leaning on the drivers side cowl of this Scarab racer circa 1958. It's usually powered by a SB Chevy , in this instance the team were trying a 3L Offenhauser engines. It proved unsuccessful. The guy pointing a finger opposite Dick is Tom Barnes. Troutman/ Barnes went on to build race engines, drivetrains for many celebrity Teams. Then got into Porsches along the way. Bill Troutman took over from his Dad and continued on with a strong Porsche parts biz. I have a couple of the Troutman oil thermostats in my 914s. Pic was taken at Scarab Team ( Lance Reventlow) bldg. at 11930 W. Jefferson Bl. Culver City Ca. They , along with several other Period race shops, teams and manufacturers were all located in the Jefferson & Washington Blvd. area known as Thunder Alley. Our MSDS 9063 W. Washington Blvd. Culver City shop in the late 1970's, Headman "Hedders" and Dick Guldstrand ent. were the last of the tribe to mfg there. Most of it today is re-zoned retail, cafes and artsy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Iskenderian Cams still keeps a tiny building (still has the signage) at Jefferson + Slauson Blvd !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Mar 31 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks Ian and Eric, enjoyed it.
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Apr 1 2020, 08:31 AM
Post #15

914 Type R

Member No.: 1,544

Great Video! 4 year waiting list, wow. Seems like people will be building these cars forever.

Personally I would not cage a street car, and if I did I would put the bars as close to the pillars as possible. The chassis stiffening kit is a bit over kill for a street car as well. Keeping moisture out from behind is difficult.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 2 2020, 10:54 AM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 31 2020, 11:03 PM) *

In the video Eric mentions Dick Troutman...he is the guy leaning on the drivers side cowl of this Scarab racer circa 1958. It's usually powered by a SB Chevy , in this instance the team were trying a 3L Offenhauser engines. It proved unsuccessful. The guy pointing a finger opposite Dick is Tom Barnes. Troutman/ Barnes went on to build race engines, drivetrains for many celebrity Teams. Then got into Porsches along the way. Bill Troutman took over from his Dad and continued on with a strong Porsche parts biz. I have a couple of the Troutman oil thermostats in my 914s. Pic was taken at Scarab Team ( Lance Reventlow) bldg. at 11930 W. Jefferson Bl. Culver City Ca. They , along with several other Period race shops, teams and manufacturers were all located in the Jefferson & Washington Blvd. area known as Thunder Alley. Our MSDS 9063 W. Washington Blvd. Culver City shop in the late 1970's, Headman "Hedders" and Dick Guldstrand ent. were the last of the tribe to mfg there. Most of it today is re-zoned retail, cafes and artsy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Iskenderian Cams still keeps a tiny building (still has the signage) at Jefferson + Slauson Blvd !
Attached Image

Marty,
I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge of Porsche racing history. Thanks!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 2 2020, 01:42 PM
Post #17

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2020, 06:27 PM) *

I really got into Eric showing and explaining the small details that go into the build. Bob’s #41 car was cool to start but PMB is taking to the next level. I’m not surprised he has a 4 year wait.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Bob B owner of Number 41 the 30th six

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 2 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #18

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

[quote name='ConeDodger' date='Apr 2 2020, 09:54 AM' post='2800189']
[quote name='Maltese Falcon' post='2799669' date='Mar 31 2020, 11:03 PM']
Attached Image
[/quote]

Marty,

Very small world. I bought a couple of vibratory finishers from Richard Iskenderian at Iskenderian Cams 4 weeks ago. I was going over my use of Issyk cam in my CB750 Honda I had built back in 1974 with CB350 pistons making it an 812cc. I told him that is was an unbelievable rocket back then. For 1976

They were using the Vibratory finishers to finish roller rockers. Totally set me up.

Richard is the son of POPS Iskenderian he is the big boss now. I asked him if they made any cams for Porsches and he said only very old ones.

It is really a small world. They say 6 degrees of separation between everyone. The old Isky shop it 5 blocks from my house as the crow fly.

Picture of one of the machines I bought from them.

Bob B
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sprout
post Apr 2 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 22,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great video, and so informative! Thanks for all the videos you create!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 2 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2020, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 31 2020, 11:03 PM) *

Attached Image

Marty,
I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge of Porsche racing history. Thanks!

Why not research the automotive books in my 40+ year library...love car books you know !
Not going Too far off topic with this B+W photo, the co-founder of Traco Engines is first guy on the Left. The car there is a Scarab designed by Chuck Pelley (L.A. Art center) for Lance Reventlow (Woolworths heir) his team RAI. The man that shaped the aluminum body panels over wooden bucks was Emil Deidt. They made 4 complete Scarabs. One "Last" Scarab (#5) built from spare parts accumulated and mfg'd by Historic Racer Don Orosco, sold at auction around 2005. Perhaps the Worlds most significant Porsche 356SL coupe that won Porsche's first LM24hr class win in 1951, had it's roof cut off by Emil Diedt in about 1954. Then it was painted red. This was done on request of the Von Neumann race team and Porsche marketing, to turn heads and sell more cars. Today Cameron Healy owns #46 356SL ; Emory Motorsports built a roof for it and made it 100% correct once again.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:11 PM