Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Won't Start, I have a 75 1.8L engine. A month ago the car started and drove just fine. Two weeks later it won't start.
Double D
post Mar 31 2020, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,081
Region Association: Northern California

I have a 75 1.8L engine. A month ago the car started and ran just fine. Two weeks later the car would not start. The headlights come on but still doesn't start. I checked the battery, started motor, ground to the chassis, fuses, relay board, ignition coil and ignition switch. I can jump the starter motor with a screwdriver. I'm just not getting juice to the solenoid switch. Any suggestion
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 31 2020, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Double D @ Apr 1 2020, 08:40 AM) *

I have a 75 1.8L engine. A month ago the car started and ran just fine. Two weeks later the car would not start. The headlights come on but still doesn't start. I checked the battery, started motor, ground to the chassis, fuses, relay board, ignition coil and ignition switch. I can jump the starter motor with a screwdriver. I'm just not getting juice to the solenoid switch. Any suggestion

Looks like you have done a few steps to find your issue,how did you check the ignition switch ? the only way to test it is to get a second person to turn the key to start position and then meter the yellow solenoid wire and see if you have 12volts if not you have a bad switch.
In my case the engine would crank and then later not ,other functions did the same thing ,a short time later I had no starter power and the switch had totally failed.
These faults occurred over a period of a few days,I fitted a new switch and everything was normal again and has been ever since.
If you have replaced the switch recently don't assume that isn't the issue as other folks on here report early failures with some replacements.

+Quote Post
Coondog
post Mar 31 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

You have a great Porsche repair shop right down the road from you.
Holleran's Performance in Auburn.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 31 2020, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you turn the ignition on and jump the starter, does it start and run?
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 31 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 31 2020, 05:11 PM) *

If you turn the ignition on and jump the starter, does it start and run?

^^^^^^^
Carefully try that and let us know.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Apr 1 2020, 02:09 AM
Post #6

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

on the startmotor there is a small connector, the wire with the smallest diameter. Please check that one.
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Apr 1 2020, 06:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Check the seat belt relay under the passengers seat, it interrupts the starter circuit
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Apr 9 2020, 02:46 AM
Post #8

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Hi, did your problem get solved by any of the tips/hints that were given ? I see it was your first post on the forum, so let us know !
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Apr 9 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

To add a bit more context, certain years of 914 have a circuit that uses an early form of occupancy sensing to check and see if the seatbelt is fastened.

If the seatbelts aren't fastened, there's a relay that will prevent power from the key from going to the starter. The relay that controls this is located under the passenger seat.

Since the area under the seats can see a lot of moisture and other nastiness, and since these cars are now well over 40 years old, those components have a habit of going bad.

The most-guaranteed fix for this problem is to remove the passenger seat, remove the relay, and splice the THICK yellow wire together with the THICK yellow and red striped wire. This will bypass the lockout and allow power to flow straight from the keyswitch to the engine bay.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2741596
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 9 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

If your engine will crank but not fire, then remember "FAST"

F = Fuel. Make sure you are getting fuel into the engine. If it is carbed, look down the bores and open the throttle. You should see the acclerator pumps squirt fuel in to the bores. With D-Jet injection, pull the injectors and put them in small glass jars (shot glasses work great". Disconnect power to the coil and crank the engine. See if the jars fill up with gas.

A= Air. for carbs, this is simple, but it applies to both FI and carbs. Make sure you don't have any air leaks in the system. Check all the hoses and lines on an FI system.

S-= Spark. Make sure you have spark all the way to the plugs. (don't forget to reconnect the power at the coil after testing for fuel). It could be lots of things there.

T= Timing. Follow the manual and make sure the ignition fires at the right time. * degrees before top dead center works great as a starting point. Once you get it running, you can set the timing with a light.

If you want a quick and dirty test, just shoot some carb cleaner into the engine. If it fires and then dies, you have a fuel system issue. If it doesn't, you know the ignition system is not working.

Good luck!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:15 AM