Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question for the 914 Retailers on World, How has the business changed over the last decade?
Big Len
post Mar 31 2020, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Talk about parts development, prices, inventory, sales.

Where do you see this market going in the short and long term?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 31 2020, 11:18 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

914Rubber.com

Well I can say 10 years has been a pretty big change. I started making parts about 14 years ago, never planned on making it a business, but it got to the point I had to either go full bore or sell out.

Those of you that know me would not be surprised to know I have over 20 projects in the wings with more new cool stuff you didn't know you needed. I''ve always tried to make the parts from better materials. An example being the internal clips. OEM were steel and they rusted in place. I started using stainless and aluminum. Seems like most other manufacturers followed suit. The main targa seals were selling for about $800 when I started making them we have been able to drive the price down to less than you paid for the OEM when available 10 years ago.

Our inventory has grown significantly, and we are starting to add many other parts we don't make like spark wire plugs caps and rotors, brake pads, even PMB rebuilt calipers!

This is a finite market short term we continue to make a majority of 914 parts, but with over 680 different products eventually we will make as many as we can make. Still have a ways to go.

Our long term plans are to move into 911 and 356 parts to continue to be able to support the community. The 914 parts will always be needed, but we are doing our part to see that a monopoly will not control the market, and quality parts will be available and not in short supply.

+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 1 2020, 06:36 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have been in business for 20 years. M&k exhaust product line was sold 7 years ago to rarlyl8 and I still stay in touch with him.. My old product line still sells about the same amount of exhaust it did 7 years ago.. My current product line has been steady and I expect it will grow as its 914 specific and there is a good following for them.. I expect the 914-6 conversion market to stay steady.. Eric Shae and I talked about it yesterday that there will always be a handful of 914-6 conversions going on at any given time..

I want to get into more 914 4cyl exhaust components but still am feeling out if there is a market for that.. I have a wonderful 2.0 muffler but sell a small amount each year.. I do think for me the next market should be 944 and boxster as these are the now the affordable market which is where most people gravitate towards..

Not seeing much of an uptick in anything now as my parts are fairly expensive and great tax return parts but with the current state of things I will see a drop..

My magnesium repair business though has exploded and I turn work away..
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 1 2020, 07:06 AM
Post #4

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

When I started 914Network about 25 years ago I sold a fair amount of parts, and then the internet took off and I pretty much got out of the parts business. When I sold my main business almost 6 years ago I had to close 914Network due to the structure of my S corp and subsequently re-opened as "Iron Hill Restorations"

Now I do repair and restoration work, as well as my specialty items: 914 Umbrella cover and 914-6 engine conversion harnesses. There's some encroachment in some of that regard, but competition is good for everyone, and my track record on those products has been problem free.

My biggest challenge is, and has always been getting good help in my exceptionally rural location.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Apr 1 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

914s are very much a niche market. That was the case 33 years ago when I started with Mid-Engineering. And it is still true today. For those of us that love the 914, it is a labor of love. Most vendors branch out into other models to expand their market. I have seen few who were able to maintain a viable market with just 914s.

We have a lot of cool stuff in the works. We bought Charlie Air last year, with an eye to retool it into making classic motoring gear, and that has gone well. Right now we have 4 of those products selling - two sized bags, tool wraps, and hats. We have another dozen or so new products in active development, all with plaid/tartan, houndstooth, and leather. RedlineNine apparel, as well as parts is also something we continue to expand. And will have some new announcements in those areas soon. We are in the process of adjusting our 2020 plans for the current situation in the world, as I am sure everybody is.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Apr 1 2020, 07:34 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Hooray to all of you, as well as those active vendors who haven't posted yet. You keep the fun alive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:09 AM