Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> well i convinced some one else to, suburize
scotty914
post Jul 6 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #1

suby torque rules

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

a newer member with the name of mongol something or other real name evan ordered his 2002 suby 2.5 engine yesturday. the motor is a 60 K mile engine for 1600 complete including the harness, exhaust mainfold, ecu ie everything. he looked locally but they wanted 2800 for everything. the only down fall is the shipping from kali to maryland ran him 285.

basicly he puts 300 to 400 miles a week on his car and wants more power better gas milage than his raby parts 2056.

the funny part is after i gave him a test run and he says his 2056 with about 120 hp feels like a dog. the great part was when i gave his GF a ride she did not but giggle and said he does not need that much hp

we east coast 914ers are taking over (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/assimilate.gif) and i am forming a subculture of suby conversions (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) , with a few seeds thrown around the country ie Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 6 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Scott, I think the Scooby is very cool! I think it's a much cooler conversion than a SBC... I know a lot of guys LOVE their SBC conversion, and they DO make SICK power!! but I just think it's cool that the suby still SOUNDs like a type 4, the 901 is still used, not abused. I especially like the Radiator in the engine bay.. makes things very clean.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
scottb
post Jul 6 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #3

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

though i have not seen nor ridden in a v8 or v6 conversion, i have seen and ridden in scotts car. it just makes sense to me and is a very slick install. gobs of power and great gas mileage. scott says he is going to put together a kit here in the near future for this conversion. i may have to start piecing this thing together bit by bit. a little here and there and the wife will never notice!

+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 6 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #4

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

very cool. an extra point for you east-coasters.... and sadly, it looks like we've lost a conversion on the west side. fiid's project is in the classifieds (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jul 6 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #5

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

So should a Subaru conversion be called a Sub-version? Scott, I definately consider you to be a Sub-versive element.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I just wanted to get this stuff going, it was only a matter of time.

Eric (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 6 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #6

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Good work Scott!!! More suby conversions means a bigger knowledge base.

I really think this will catch on. How can it not? Cheap, reliable, lots of power, lighter than a stock engine, maintains the boxer engine configuration, parts becoming available from Scott and Renegade... No need to put in high torque axles, or CV joints, or mess with gear ratios in the transmission, lots of aftermarket performance parts, etc. etc. etc.

-Tony
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 6 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jul 6 2005, 12:51 PM)
fiid's project is in the classifieds (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Ah crap. Fiid was on my "Top 3 cool projects" list.

-Ben M. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
pokey1168
post Jul 6 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,369

does anyone have some pics of a suby conversion? I have been dying to see one. I have seen some sick motors for the sand, and have been curious if it would work in the rust bucket.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 6 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #9

suby torque rules

here ya go, engine bay shot

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jul 6 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jul 6 2005, 01:22 PM)
reliable

How is a new engine with all custom wiring and mounting more reliable then what vw came up with many moons ago? Dont get me wrong, the conversion is sweet, and Ive been in Scott's car, but I just dont see how reliability is a perk of the conversion. Last time I saw a sube, there were LOTS of wires all over the place. A subaru engine may be reliabile in a car with an OBD2 sensor and a chassis thats designed to fit, but all custom parts worry me for reliability.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 6 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #11

suby torque rules

i under stand you opinion matt, but my car is running obd2. as well as it is all stock parts that can go bad. the alt, radiator, all sensors, the throttle, the icv all stock and stock driven but the stock ecu. how many people here would drive there 914 cross country twice. the only things that have gone wrong on my car are stock 914 stuff, like the fuel pump relay and the tranny.

i can get every part on the engine locally from my flaps, or any of the parts yards. go try to find a ecu, mps, decel valve for a 914 locally anywhere in this country
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 6 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'm not ready to give up on my Type IV, but the subby motor should be just as reliable as anything else one could throw in the car if done right....the key phrase is "done right"

the hard parts for the conversion (such as adapter plate, motor mount) should never give you trouble unless you hacked something together or abused the piss out of the car....

I will agree that the electrical could be a nightmare if done poorly, just look at a stock 914 with some of the DAPO electrical repairs???

now with the addition of a cooling system and the need for water, you do have a few more items that can cause problems down the road (leaking radiator, faulty water pump)...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 6 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

the key thing is to document everything used for the conversion, so when something does need to be replaced (coolant hose), you have the correct part number to ask for, same with knowing excatly what year and model your engine is from so that it'll be easier to get a replacement part
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 6 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #14

suby torque rules

my hacked dumb assed current owner wiring looks bad right now but it will only get better
+Quote Post
pokey1168
post Jul 6 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jul 6 2005, 05:59 PM)
here ya go, engine bay shot

was there much body mod to do or was it all in the engine bay? .......Now honestly how bad was it to pull off?
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jul 6 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 6 2005, 03:20 PM)
I will agree that the electrical could be a nightmare if done poorly, just look at a stock 914 with some of the DAPO electrical repairs???

Thats probably my biggest concern. If the wiring is not done properly, it would be a mess.. and if something goes wrong, good luck trying to trace it. If there were a plug and play adapter or something, it would be really sweet and I bet this conversion would take off.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 6 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #17

suby torque rules

no body cutting at all, just removed the engine shelf to clean up and give a little more space. i could do it again in 50 hours or so from scratch
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 6 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #18

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

Reliable is of course what you make of it... But the engine does have a lot to do with it of course. I was thinking of building up a 2056 or a 2270 before I decided to go with the Subaru engine and all the talk of the lifters and cams having issues, heads with cracks etc. got me nervous. 914 engines also require regular valve adjustments, etc. etc. There's nothing wrong with type 4s, or with V8s or whatever. A subaru engine will for the most part last a very long time with little to no maintenence and thats where the reliability issue comes in.

Reliability in a conversion is a function of build quality. If you know what you are doing and do it right, it will be reliable. There are an awful lot of every kind of conversion that have been done poorly and reliability is correspondingly low.

Wiring up a Subaru engine is definitely not a weekend project. There's a LOT to it, and its the single most complex part of the conversion, but it IS doable. I've been working on the wiring design for my conversion for about three weeks (a few hours here and there) and I've still got a long ways to go.

-Tony
+Quote Post
scottb
post Jul 6 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #19

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

If there were a plug and play adapter or something, it would be really sweet and I bet this conversion would take off.

hey scott, another product idea.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

i saw you ripping through those schematics in the dark like me through a dr seuss book. do it man! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
pokey1168
post Jul 6 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jul 6 2005, 06:28 PM)
no body cutting at all, just removed the engine shelf to clean up and give a little more space. i could do it again in 50 hours or so from scratch

I may have to start looking in the corners of these little salvage and wrecker yards.......I wanted to run one of the ea82 1.8s in the magic bus. It had a 1.8 rabbit 8v in it now so I may just see if there are ANY performance parts for the sube out there......The ea82's were tough as nail but didn't make much HP. Not enough to justify the conversion, anyway
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:32 PM