Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Non-model year changes
356drb
post Apr 4 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,101
Region Association: None

Hi!

I'm updating my 914 Authenticity book and the new edition will contain all color images, which will also be available online, on demand. New chapters on brakes/suspension/gearbox and engine have been written and all other chapters have been revised and are out for technical proofing. Hope to have it out late this summer, if I can get photos.

There are a number of changes that are noted in the parts manuals which do not align with model years. I would like to put months and years on these changes and am hoping that you can help define them. At this time the Porsche archives has been able to only do this on one of them. I have put them in chronological order and nearly all of them occur during the 1973 model year. The numbers on the left are the Porsche modification number in the parts manuals. The ones without these are still listed in the parts manuals with chassis numbers when the change occurs. Formatting suffered a little from conversion from Word. I can't fix it -- I tried.

Since US spec. cars have month and year on that sticker on the door jamb and some of you may have the actual production date, can you take a look and let me know if you have a chassis number close to these?

Also, just because it says things change in the parts manuals, it doesn't mean that it is right, so if you think you know better, please let me know. It helps if you have an authentic car to back you up. Always remember one of my authenticity truisms though, " just because it is old and was on the car when you bought it, doesn't mean it is original."

I'm also looking for people with authentic cars willing to take photos (authentic doesn't mean show quality). I can send a master list to anyone who wants one. I am particularly looking for 1970-1972 914-4s with painted bumpers and Euro spec. cars of all models.

Please contact me directly at: 356drb@indy.net

Modification
#

4/2 from model 72 -- 914 243 0040/472 290 9017 Door panel (int.)

4/4 from model 72 -- 472 291 9033 A-frame/front shock/rotor/caliper

6/14 from model 73 -- 473 290 6861

from model 73 – 473 290 8292 US headlight upgrade

6/2 from model 73 -- 473 291 0937 rear inner wheel case USA w/ protection rail

6/1 from model 73 -- 473 291 2511 Cap for front wheel hub/front rotor w/ring

6/4 from model 73 -- 473 291 7851

6/8 from model 73 -- 473 291 8797 Covering for roll bar padding (int.)

6/6 from model 73 -- 473 291 8919 March 1973 Threshold/carpet rails, black

6/10 from model 73 -- 473 292 4929 Fresh air vent grille added

6/12 from model 73 -- 473 292 4903 Fuel tank

6/16 from model 73 -- 473 292 6222 Top/headliner/front edge profile/rear seal

6/18 from model 73 -- 473 292 7160

from model 74 -- 474 290 2454 Black washer jets

8/2 from model 74 -- 474 291 5752 Brake pressure regulator

Thanks!

Brett Johnson

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Apr 5 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Hello Brett, I will assist however I can. Dave
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 8 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Terrific to find you here Brett.

Will you also include in the update:
* A complete list/content of all 914 service bulletins, recall campaigns, model numbers?
* The VIN when the change of the chassis number location occurred from being stamped into the rear trunk, to a plate riveted to the front trunk side rail?
* A complete list of all factory publications - Manuals, electrical diagrams, service and training manuals, paint/fabric sample books etc.
* Was there ever really a convex glass, passenger side mirror?
* Were there any specific wiring harnesses to non-USA markets? i.e. the european cars had no sidemarkers, were the wires simply cut off from USA market chassis harnesses or was it a separate harness. The 1973 and 74-76 USA cars had seatbelt circuitry that the ROW cars did not have. Different wiring harnesses?

Do you also have an interest in identifying/researching and including, other changes that are not documented in the parts manual? Especially by VIN number and part number) of when the change occurred (where possible)?

Off the top of my head, certainly there are more:

1. In the 1972 model mid-year, the TPS changed from 4 pole to 5 pole, including the fuel injection harness.

2. In the 1971 model mid-year there were two USA chassis harnesses. The 1970-early 1971 has a 12 pole connection at the steering column, the later 1971 harness has 14 pole connection. This change also affects the steering column assembly itself which changed at the same time and has the mate to the 14 pin connector. I've found PNs but the realted harness VIN numbers vary from the steering column numbers.

Glad you are here! Post it here if you need anything.
+Quote Post
356drb
post Apr 8 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Hi Jeff,

Since my quest is to write an Authenticity book, I only tend to use service bulletins and the like for reference when they have to do with that topic: i.e.like why 914s have replacement battery covers.

Changes like when the VIN moves are certainly relevant, but I need input from you about roughly when it occurs.

Factory publications are not something I record, but if information contained is relevant -- option/color information, yes, I'd like to be able to include it.

Would love to include paint/fabric sample book information but have none.

With 914s, the VIN is more relevant than earlier cars, but date of manufacture still is the most important and relevant piece of information to the restorer.

Wiring harness changes are probably a little over the top, but why they are chaned is relevant, if dates can be established.

Since there was actually no passenger's side mirror offered, there was likely no convex one either. Things like that may have been made by the factory or well meaning previous owners. I like to see factory documents providing guidance.

Gotta go -- having a thunderstorm...
+Quote Post
356drb
post Apr 8 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #5

And now hail!!!!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 8 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

The date of manufacturing for given car can be derived from the chassis plate number at the front drivers door jamb. The decoder is in the factory manual.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Apr 8 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(356drb @ Apr 8 2020, 05:40 PM) *

Since there was actually no passenger's side mirror offered, there was likely no convex one either. Things like that may have been made by the factory or well meaning previous owners. I like to see factory documents providing guidance.

I have one on my 6 conversion and another one NOS/NIB, I'll grab the part number tomorrow if I can. In both of my cases, obviously it wasn't delivered 'on' the car but, it was available through the dealers and parts suppliers at some point. Carries a Porsche part number that's different from the non-convex standard mirror.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 9 2020, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 8 2020, 06:55 PM) *

The date of manufacturing for given car can be derived from the chassis plate number at the front drivers door jamb. The decoder is in the factory manual.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
356drb
post Apr 9 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #9

Sorry, I provided incorrect info. This is the text from the new book.

The side mirror was rectangular and mounted on the driver’s side door. It was modified for 1972 by altering the mirror size (late ones were wider and shorter) and the angle and cross-section of the arm (later ones were more round). Right-side mirrors were fitted in Sweden and an optional convex right-side mirror is listed, although it is uncertain when and where they were offered. The nut cages for mounting mirrors were present in all right doors, making it possible to fit them to cars not originally so equipped.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Apr 19 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Dug out the convex passenger mirror today, was purchased through Stoddard years ago, even they were surprised they had it.
Attached Image

Sorry for the terrible photo and dirty mirrors, note the one I'm holding on top has cast the image further out as it's convex:
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:57 AM