Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build, Lots of new progress
tazz9924
post Sep 12 2020, 06:18 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

@andrewb Yeah thats the 2 inch piece ive been dreading. its too short to fit in my knotcher in a normal way that isn’t dangerous. Ill fix it this weekend because its been bugging me too
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 12 2020, 09:06 AM
Post #122

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

What about doing a taco plate in lieu of that 2" piece? Size it so you could add them all around that node set for extra strength and some style points?

I get that may not be as strong as adding the tube. Just throwing the idea out there - and you can feel free to throw it out , too!

Keep up the great work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Sep 12 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #123

Member No.: 11,762

That's a relief Elliott - knew you wouldn't let us down.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 12 2020, 04:06 PM) *

What about doing a taco plate in lieu of that 2" piece?

Something's obviously got lost in the transatlantic translation - I don't even know what a taco plate is. I tried Google but now I just feel hungry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 12 2020, 09:53 AM
Post #124

914 Guru

Ha! Good one. Taco plate = sheet wrapped 180 that ends up looking like a taco shell.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 12 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #125

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 12 2020, 07:53 AM) *

Ha! Good one. Taco plate = sheet wrapped 180 that ends up looking like a taco shell.

ive got some taco plans, and taco plate plans as well. Im thinking on top of the harness bar, do people put bars inside taco plates? I kinda just wanna throw the sheet metal on there for style points
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 12 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #126

914 Guru

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 12 2020, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 12 2020, 07:53 AM) *

ive got some taco plans, and taco plate plans as well. Im thinking on top of the harness bar, do people put bars inside taco plates? I kinda just wanna throw the sheet metal on there for style points

While it couldn't hurt, remember, a typical taco plate would have an OD (at the base of the taco) = the OD of the tubing you're using. So strictly speaking, if you had a tube there, the taco would need to have an ID = tube OD and would be 1 material thickness greater than the rest of the tubes - unless you went with a smaller OD tube under it.

+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 12 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #127

QUOTE(andrewb @ Sep 12 2020, 07:40 AM) *

That's a relief Elliott - knew you wouldn't let us down.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 12 2020, 04:06 PM) *

What about doing a taco plate in lieu of that 2" piece?

Something's obviously got lost in the transatlantic translation - I don't even know what a taco plate is. I tried Google but now I just feel hungry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

@andrewb Fixed it! almost killed my drill though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 12 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #128

Besides finishing the x bar I also made up the bars to reinforce the front end and subframe mounts and i think it came out well. Tomorrow is a full day of welding because ive put a good bit of welding off on various things and projects so i probably wont have anything to report unless some massive insect comes into my garage (which is becoming scarily common)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Sep 12 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #129

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 12 2020, 04:53 PM) *

A picture paints a thousand words ! Thank you - understood as soon as i saw it. I wonder what we call them over here ?

EDIT : For your information, and just to complete our mutual education, in the UK we appear to call that kind of part a gusset. Which ironically is also that small black triangular part you see over to the left in my avatar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Sep 12 2020, 10:38 PM
Post #130

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 13 2020, 01:25 AM) *
Fixed it! almost killed my drill though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Then your drill almost died in a good cause - that little piece is a work of art all on its own. Even Tygaboy must be jealous ?
Carry on with the artistry, thank you.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Oct 26 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #131

The time has come to mate the motor to the chassis. At this point it’s sitting on the engine hoist. I need to remove the exhaust to allow it to sit a little further back (to meet the axle), which can only mean one thing; Custom headers. I planned on doing it anyway but if your gonna twist my arm... might as well. Another consideration is how low i can get it to sit and while i cant get the cylinder heads nearly scraping the ground like id like to, its really not bad and i think the fact it’s sitting 10’ in the air is throwing off my inner collin chappman. I highly doubt i go dry sump especially on a stock block like i plan but you never know what the future holds. Glad to be back again for the time being. Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 5 2021, 11:40 PM
Post #132

Been a while again but back at it! I set the engine back in the car and got the front mounts tacked in place, and began work on the trans mounts. I really like the passenger side. its nice and compact. Ignore the butchered version of ians shifter linkage i will rebuild it i have the technology!
Ps ill also include some photos of what took me so long to get back to this build.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
good times at chump car roaf atlanta, built my 68 dart, finished just in time. got 88 laps out on track, finished 69th. Would’ve done better if my radiator (imagine that oil cooler in the fan shroud but bigger and full of water) didn’t get clogged with rust and squirrel nuts. But i had a blast and honestly i think 69th fits the car.
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Mar 6 2021, 05:40 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

Very cool! I like the Dart.

Charlie
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 10 2021, 08:46 PM
Post #134

Alright i continued my adventure into mounting the trans. I built up the other mount and bent some tubes and knotched them to hook up to the trans. It’ll take some reinforcement to make it right but its a good start!
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 11 2021, 08:28 AM
Post #135

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Killer welds!

I have been meaning to watch the Doge episode....
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 14 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #136

So i took a few hours out of my day off today to “enjoy myself” and cut the 914 body apart. I left the garage today injured and highly just considering cutting the body in half. Now everyone knows the middle of the stock 914 body is where you need all the strength so when you sit in it, it doesn’t turn into a metal kinder egg with a human prize in the middle. This is still the case in my world but differently because the front half and the rear half of the chassis will want to bend their separate ways when i remove all of their structure. And i do mean all of it. the entire long will be cut out to allow the body to drop around the door bars. so that brings me to a dilema: Cut it in half square it upon the chassis and make those door gaps good. or make some dental style head gear to make it work and remain in one piece. Let me know what you think!

For reference the black line is where i have to cut to fit around the chassis and the yellow is the long.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 15 2021, 10:30 AM
Post #137

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I'd say just cut the outer skin out and mount the pieces together on the flat ground getting the right gaps. The hoods will give you spacing for the right width.

Are you really going to make it a door slammer?
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 15 2021, 12:02 PM
Post #138

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 15 2021, 08:30 AM) *

I'd say just cut the outer skin out and mount the pieces together on the flat ground getting the right gaps. The hoods will give you spacing for the right width.

Are you really going to make it a door slammer?

Do you mean doors open and close? yes, i figure why not
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 15 2021, 01:50 PM
Post #139

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Me being a bit crazy, this is how I would do it. Orange tubes can be small 1"x1" stuff, and fairly thin walled, or what ever you have. Trianglulate the heck out of it, high to low. Top bar from factory roll bar to A pillar just helps keep it square. Other Option would be put a steel roof on it.

Then I would cut the logs out via otter skin, and then weld it back over the tub you could build out some gussets and it would look stock. If you wanted you could add AN fittings to the tubes running down the logs and run coolant or oil down them. If DOM bursts you have an issue.

Some will say galvanic corrosion will be an issue, but just add a replaceable zinc anode and replace it every few years. Most coolant mixtures will have corrosion inhibitors, you can just keep it fresh and call it a day.

Back to the diagram.

Just modify the locations to not hit your current structures.

Attached Image

the green bars could be turn buckles you use to get your door gaps set, then weld in the rest to hold the gap and keep it from twisting.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 15 2021, 05:48 PM
Post #140

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 15 2021, 11:50 AM) *

Me being a bit crazy, this is how I would do it. Orange tubes can be small 1"x1" stuff, and fairly thin walled, or what ever you have. Trianglulate the heck out of it, high to low. Top bar from factory roll bar to A pillar just helps keep it square. Other Option would be put a steel roof on it.

Then I would cut the logs out via otter skin, and then weld it back over the tub you could build out some gussets and it would look stock. If you wanted you could add AN fittings to the tubes running down the logs and run coolant or oil down them. If DOM bursts you have an issue.

Some will say galvanic corrosion will be an issue, but just add a replaceable zinc anode and replace it every few years. Most coolant mixtures will have corrosion inhibitors, you can just keep it fresh and call it a day.

Back to the diagram.

Just modify the locations to not hit your current structures.

Attached Image

the green bars could be turn buckles you use to get your door gaps set, then weld in the rest to hold the gap and keep it from twisting.

Those are extremely good lines! This is basically my other idea visualized, it’s probably worth trying before i go the extreme route. Ill maybe begin giving it a shot tomorrow. Just gotta borrow one of those foul mig welders.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:03 PM