Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build, Lots of new progress
Curbandgutter
post Mar 16 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Hello Tazz9924 that's a lot of work that you've accomplished in such a short time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I'm also doing a tube steel chassis but with 996 suspension. I'm pretty much complete on my chassis and have moved on to body work. I'm trying to understand which way you are headed? Are you going to gut the inside of the 914 and "sleeve" it over the tube steel frame? I was wondering how did you get the suspension alignment locations from the donor car. I'm interested to know specifically in the vertical direction since they are not on a flat plane, at least not on the 996 suspension. On the 996 the front and rear suspension cradles have tilt to them that affects the entire suspension geometry. I don't know if that is the case on the 993. Also, do you know if your front struts are going to be able to clear the bottom of the front hood. I know that they didn't on mine. The rears were not a problem on my build but the fronts are. I'm removing my Mc Phersons on the front of mine. That is what I will tackle once the body work is done. Good luck with your build!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 16 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 16 2021, 09:51 AM) *

Hello Tazz9924 that's a lot of work that you've accomplished in such a short time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I'm also doing a tube steel chassis but with 996 suspension. I'm pretty much complete on my chassis and have moved on to body work. I'm trying to understand which way you are headed? Are you going to gut the inside of the 914 and "sleeve" it over the tube steel frame? I was wondering how did you get the suspension alignment locations from the donor car. I'm interested to know specifically in the vertical direction since they are not on a flat plane, at least not on the 996 suspension. On the 996 the front and rear suspension cradles have tilt to them that affects the entire suspension geometry. I don't know if that is the case on the 993. Also, do you know if your front struts are going to be able to clear the bottom of the front hood. I know that they didn't on mine. The rears were not a problem on my build but the fronts are. I'm removing my Mc Phersons on the front of mine. That is what I will tackle once the body work is done. Good luck with your build!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Its 986 suspension actually, i basically went about it like this. I went out and measured a stock boxsters suspension geometry; strut bolt hole spacing subframe angles etc. Anything i could measure. I then transferred it in 3d space to everything you see here. The only assumption i made was full droop control arm angle. I looked a pictures and basically had to guess. If i set them too low compared to stock thats ok because ill use coil overs to level the control arms. Will it work? idk we figure that out. As far as the body goes im going to hollow it out remove all the structure and place it on top. I expect bits to hang out a little but ill find ways of coping with it (pods maybe). i can also set the body up a little higher and get good chassis hiding results. But safe to say it was a pain getting to this point, ill keep pushing!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 17 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #143

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Seems like a lot of work hollowing out that body for what is only going to be extra weight.

Even if you do plan to make it a door slammer, I say just skin the panels and put them in place. Your going to be making adjustments along the chassis anyways. You could weld some flat bar to the skin to keep it aligned just for laying it in place and cut the welds off when your done.

dzuts fasten the panels on and call it a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Lighter, Simpler, easier for doing work on the chassis or replacing pieces later.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 17 2021, 01:29 PM
Post #144

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 17 2021, 09:17 AM) *

Seems like a lot of work hollowing out that body for what is only going to be extra weight.

Even if you do plan to make it a door slammer, I say just skin the panels and put them in place. Your going to be making adjustments along the chassis anyways. You could weld some flat bar to the skin to keep it aligned just for laying it in place and cut the welds off when your done.

dzuts fasten the panels on and call it a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Lighter, Simpler, easier for doing work on the chassis or replacing pieces later.

well ill need the A pillar and headlight buckets, by the time im done it will mostly be skin but im using whatever will be left to hold the body in place temporarily. Shouldnt be a big deal
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 17 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #145

whoops
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 17 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #146

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 17 2021, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 17 2021, 09:17 AM) *

well ill need the A pillar and headlight buckets, by the time im done it will mostly be skin but im using whatever will be left to hold the body in place temporarily. Shouldnt be a big deal

Well you made quick work of the rolling chassis, im sure you'll do the same for the body (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Mar 18 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #147

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

What a crazy plan!... Love the progress
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 18 2021, 07:41 PM
Post #148

Just got some new wheels test fit on. I got a good deal on some fiske fm10s. 17x9 front 17x11 rear. i figure some 305-315s are in store for the rear!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 18 2021, 09:25 PM
Post #149

Spooling.... Please wait

Love them! Looks like the tires might touch the coils?
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 18 2021, 09:36 PM
Post #150

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 18 2021, 07:25 PM) *

Love them! Looks like the tires might touch the coils?

Yeah also they dont like the hub so im going to use a 1” spacer
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Mar 19 2021, 09:58 AM
Post #151

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks good!!

As a side note, if you're going to drop the standard 914 body over that, you might need to roll the fenders a little to prevent rubbing..

- Tony
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 2 2021, 08:26 PM
Post #152

Finally back at it! i made some tubes ive been R and D-ing in my head for months. They came out well even though they are very complex. I really put some mileage on that grinder today!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 3 2021, 07:51 AM
Post #153

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Nice, nice work on the chassis fab. I know the challenges you faced getting those tubes to fit. You dun guut! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
I really enjoy seeing your high quality, well thought out design and fab. Keep up the great work!
(Or, take a break and come out here to help me with the RacerBenz cage!)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 3 2021, 10:30 AM
Post #154

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 3 2021, 06:51 AM) *

(Or, take a break and come out here to help me with the RacerBenz cage!)

I wish! but we both need to work on our 914s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 3 2021, 09:11 PM
Post #155

Just added some of the last of the main tubes before i get the body on! Now it’s about welding everything i can see, removing the motor and trans, and welding the rest. Add in some front strut tubes i just now remembered then its body time!!!Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 6 2021, 08:02 PM
Post #156

I added in the tubes i mentioned in the front apron area. I stared at it for a good two hours to make sure it looked as good as possible. This caused me to no longer like the front end. It doesn’t have visual flow, i referred to it as a mullet chassis; Buisness in the front, Party in the back. That being said i took a step back, installed my seat and i love the whole chassis again. This is a process im sure many are familiar with.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 7 2021, 08:25 AM
Post #157

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

What are your projected GVW differences? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 7 2021, 05:38 PM
Post #158

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2021, 07:25 AM) *

What are your projected GVW differences? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

GVW, gross vehicle weight? As in weight distribution? or the difference between my original goal weight and likely actual?
Weight distribution surely isnt great now but there are more componets i need to install forward of the cg than behind it. I can lift the front of the chassis in a dead lift kinda way as it sits. but the ride height being so high in the front makes it easier too. I figure 45% front is realistic. The best thing here though, is mass centralization as most weight is between the axles. Total weight i still believe 1800 is the number. as far as things go it will be lacking lots of regular things and if i put it on a diet with loads of fiberglass 1700s is possible.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 22 2021, 10:02 PM
Post #159

I reinforced the body and gave it the good ole sawzall treatment. I hate this tool but the utility is undeniable. On the other hand the chassis is just about rust free now!Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 23 2021, 08:49 AM
Post #160

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ May 7 2021, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2021, 07:25 AM) *

GVW, gross vehicle weight? As in weight distribution? or the difference between my original goal weight and likely actual?
Weight distribution surely isnt great now but there are more componets i need to install forward of the cg than behind it. I can lift the front of the chassis in a dead lift kinda way as it sits. but the ride height being so high in the front makes it easier too. I figure 45% front is realistic. The best thing here though, is mass centralization as most weight is between the axles. Total weight i still believe 1800 is the number. as far as things go it will be lacking lots of regular things and if i put it on a diet with loads of fiberglass 1700s is possible.

Wow! That ought to go like a scalded ass ape. At such a light weight I'm guessing you're going with big sticky tires. Keep posting your progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 02:21 PM