Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build, Lots of new progress
sixnotfour
post Apr 12 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #41

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

in my 914 my seat is on the floor in the back and 3 inches up in the front..
Yours with the tube dia. plus seat tilt, you be sitting pretty high? Im 6ft
Great project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Oh ya same seat..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 12 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 12 2020, 10:16 AM) *

in my 914 my seat is on the floor in the back and 3 inches up in the front..
Yours with the tube dia. plus seat tilt, you be sitting pretty high? Im 6ft
Great project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

no its not bad, i sat in it already and my head doesn’t poke out the top even with a helmet, and thats without tilt
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 12 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Apr 12 2020, 10:22 AM) *

Dang i appreciate it! the comment on post 19 seems like it may have hit a little close to home for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Ill figure out something with the floor. I work with pro mods at work and they just use dzus’s to hold the panels in. I dont think ill go that route but i do expect some pretty large sheets of aluminum coming my way. I might have you make some brackets on that plasma table (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Well, yes, I am talking about myself in that comment re: post #19! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I'd be happy to fab some brackets for you. Just let me know.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 13 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #44

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I think it is kind of telling that this tube framed 914 is starting it's life on jackstands!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-18779-1586663415_thumb.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Seriously, this is some beautiful work.

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 13 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #45

I started work on the dash bar and uprights today. I know its not a traditional design for the dash bar but ive seen enough examples of it to be comfortable with its integrity. It also allows me to accelerate my build and wait till i get the a pillar to build the upper half of the cage. In other news the craftsman drill crisis has been solved. Lowes wouldn’t warranty it and due to another serious crisis, craftsman is closed, so i bought another drill and put a protection plan on it... lowes will waranty that drill in about a week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Other Other news there officially will be a bump in the hood. The strut top is around 2” higher than the cowl sooo itll get a vent or something, im thinking like the ones on a charger daytona idk
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Apr 14 2020, 05:13 AM
Post #46

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...845&st=240#
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 14 2020, 06:03 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 14 2020, 03:13 AM) *

Exactly, but please end my suffering if i turn it into a face
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 14 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #48

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Someone is going low low I take it? I like the idea of hiding it in fender vents. Probably make some rounded contoured RSR style vents...

@tygaboy could whip up some CNC cut pieces if you CAD drew it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 14 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 14 2020, 02:27 PM) *

Someone is going low low I take it? I like the idea of hiding it in fender vents. Probably make some rounded contoured RSR style vents...

@tygaboy could whip up some CNC cut pieces if you CAD drew it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My main goal is for it not to be bulky and tall like a rebodied boxster i want it short andto have correct proportions for a 914
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 19 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #50

Ok update: I was out of town for a couple days and was nearly dead from exhaustion for the next day and a half. So progress stopped for a bit, but now ive made some good progress! I built some cups to mount the subframes, they came out good but i ran out of gas almost immediately afterward. Then i put the subframe up in place and found my guess on the bars that could run into the wheels dont! and the mounting seems easy for the subframe in the front. I also took a scrap bar from a failed main hoop and it looks pretty good to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Tomorrow im gonna take the struts off because they’re being a pain in the ass and it will make it considerably easier to deal with.

Really obscure question does anyone have a boxster they can jack up to tell me the control arm angle in full droop? If not ill have to figure it out somehow, i have the angle while loaded on the ground.

Subframe cups:
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Scrap Bar strut tower:
Attached Image

With a wheel on:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 24 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #51

I finally got the fiberglass ive been waiting for since before the corona outbreak. I picked it up from greyhound today (side note: dont ever ship greyhound, you pick up your porsche parts from a gas station in the ghetto)
Attached Image

This was the biggest box ive ever received, i WAS gonna pick it up with my kei car, Honda beat but i listened to reason and took a volvo.... wise choice.
Attached Image

Everything is a bit rough.. especially the fenders but i can make it work. The front bumper is decent enough to make me happy, and i knew the side skirts were wrong buying this stuff but oh well. I think they’re sheridan skirts if anyone needs them let me know, they are in good condition. Add it to the fiberglass stockpile in my attic.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 28 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #52

I was delayed a few days because i was waiting for bolts but im back at least for a little. I measured and measured again until i got the subframe nice and square so i could make decent lines to cut into my chassis.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 29 2020, 01:27 AM
Post #53

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Welds look nice!

BTDT on the greyhound in the ghetto... About the only way to ship BIG items though for normal people money..
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 29 2020, 05:55 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 28 2020, 11:27 PM) *

Welds look nice!

BTDT on the greyhound in the ghetto... About the only way to ship BIG items though for normal people money..

oh i know, but it was a very funny experience but ill spring for freight next time. that way it wont take a month and a half and i can stay in the comfort of my own home
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 29 2020, 09:39 AM
Post #55

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Apr 28 2020, 10:21 PM) *

Attached Image

What's this holding? If it's seeing any real load and not heavily gusseted you're likely going to rip the tube in the HAZ outside of the weld. BTDT. Sometimes gussets don't even do too much.

The welds look nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I know you're going along a pretty good clip but below are some pro-tips*:
1) Get a second regulator and purge the ID of the tube frame when you full weld it. Quality will be much higher.
2) Clean the inside of the tubing with a pipe cleaner.
3) Drywall mesh does a really good job of cleaning mill scale off without loading up. A quick pass of the wire brush in one direction afterwards takes care of the rest.
4) For any coped tubes going into a tube without air connection (like your gussets), drill a small hole so 1) gases expanding inside don't cause your pool to blow out at you near closing the weld and 2) you can purge.
5) If you use 4130 or any other high carbon steel, be sure to normalize the weld HAZ to keep it from cracking under use. You can do this with a torch (instructions in Engineer to Win IIRC).

*Not a pro welder, but I've welded 5? (can't remember the full count now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)) full tube framed formula cars and a bunch of semi-tubed cars.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 29 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #56

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 9 2020, 06:56 PM) *

I have one word of advice: Triangulation.

What you did isn't really triangulation from an engineering sense. You made triangles, but they don't connect to the nodes so all you really did was put all of your tubes in bending vs. making the structure a two-force type truss member. That misses out on a lot of stiffness.

The spots you've done on the floor don't really matter, especially when you rivet on an actual floor because that shear plate will take care of any bending more efficiently than triangles. When you do to suspension bracing really try to make sure all of the nodes are braced directly with tubing running right in them. With properly triangulated nodes you don't need the coped tube gussets (you can put "tacos" if you want, but they really aren't necessary).

Rudy's build is a great example of good node structure with practical considerations for being a "914." His is a better inspiration than formula cars since it also incorporates the practicality of a car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2361501

I'm not trying to be a dick, but rather provide constructive criticism from someone who has been there...please don't take above as me trashing your project, your work looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 29 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #57

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 29 2020, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 9 2020, 06:56 PM) *

I have one word of advice: Triangulation.

What you did isn't really triangulation from an engineering sense. You made triangles, but they don't connect to the nodes so all you really did was put all of your tubes in bending vs. making the structure a two-force type truss member. That misses out on a lot of stiffness.

The spots you've done on the floor don't really matter, especially when you rivet on an actual floor because that shear plate will take care of any bending more efficiently than triangles. When you do to suspension bracing really try to make sure all of the nodes are braced directly with tubing running right in them. With properly triangulated nodes you don't need the coped tube gussets (you can put "tacos" if you want, but they really aren't necessary).

Rudy's build is a great example of good node structure with practical considerations for being a "914." His is a better inspiration than formula cars since it also incorporates the practicality of a car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2361501

I'm not trying to be a dick, but rather provide constructive criticism from someone who has been there...please don't take above as me trashing your project, your work looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Noted! i understand what your saying, in my design it is a major part. The floor design i took from a trusted source, and i misinterpreted what u meant. Love the detailed responses though!
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 6 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #58

I continued mounting the front subrame. Still sitting perfect. In the future once i get some more metal on this thing im going to reinforce the mounting points because as they stand, they are week. More to come!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 6 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #59

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Holy Moley! That bad boy will be a roller soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Come to my shop and help me build my tube chassis...
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 6 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 6 2020, 02:02 PM) *

Holy Moley! That bad boy will be a roller soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Come to my shop and help me build my tube chassis...

@tygaboy ill need a plane ticket and Perdiem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:18 AM