Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Hard To Remove This ?, Windshield-Dash Cosmetic Strip
Ansbacher
post Apr 6 2020, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,589

How hard is it to remove the interior cosmetic strip at the junction of the dash and windshield? Mine is starting to crack apart from age and I want to replace with a 914Rubber replacement. Does the windshield have to come out? Will removing the strip compromise the windshield seal? Input appreciated.

Ansbacher
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 6 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Should just pull out as it was installed last in the process.

If the windshield has been replaced recently it might have glue on it but I find it doesn't stick too well to the seal.

If it's hard and cracked it will 'shatter' and kinda explode, might wear glasses...

Cut the 914rubber seal kinda big and squish it in as rubber will shrink a bit as it dries out over time.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Apr 6 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

I am currently in the process of doing this on my 1970. The old seal just pulls out. I used a pair of pliers and a hooked, right-angle pick. The padded dash is long gone on my car, so the padded dash top area is just painted flat black.

The old seal will break into dozens of pieces as you remove it. You might want to stuff some pieces of small rags into the defroster vents to stop the pieces from falling down into the vents. I failed to do that, so I am going to have to disconnect the defroster hoses in the frunk and take out all the pieces of the old seal.

When you take out the old seal, you will likely find a long metal inner clip stuck to a ridge in the car body below the windshield. Remove that metal clip with a pair of pliers. The new 914Rubber seal does not use the metal inner clip to keep the new rubber seal in place.

Have fun!
Mike D.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Apr 6 2020, 09:46 PM
Post #4

Thanks guys. I will follow your advice, order the piece, and tackle soon. One thing about this coronavirus thing- never had so much time to spend on restoration. Chalk that up as one of the few positives. God help all affected.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 6 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Yes it can actually rust to the metal lip (one of the reasons I made mine the way I did). If it does it's a pain to remove. I just takes more time.

So when you install mine, cut the contour of the pillar into one side and do the same on the other intending to make it 1/4" longer than you need. You can then try to install both ends in 1st then push down to the center. You can trim it a little at a time. When it installs the pressure will cause it to hyper extend and will stay in place.

Enjoy!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 8 2020, 08:26 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you are replacing the windshield, is it best to replace this seal after the windshield is installed or before?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 8 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

remove the windshield yes

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Apr 6 2020, 12:56 PM) *

How hard is it to remove the interior cosmetic strip at the junction of the dash and windshield? Mine is starting to crack apart from age and I want to replace with a 914Rubber replacement. Does the windshield have to come out? Will removing the strip compromise the windshield seal? Input appreciated.

Ansbacher

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 8 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

If you don't plan to remove the windshield, a dental pick and a needle nose pliers are a must. It can be tedious in spots that have rusted. But I found that there is now way to get the OEM piece back in evenly without removing the windshield or dash. Good news is I gave you another option. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And no it will in no way compromise the window seal. It's a cosmetic part.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Apr 8 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Agree with comments above. Replaced mine with the 914Rubber part, but wasn't aware to remove the metal clip strip - used dental pick and box cutter. Finally got all the little bits out and is secured tightly. Cut ends a bit at a time to fit corners; might have to press in a few times the first few weeks or after warm sun hits it.
+Quote Post
914e
post Apr 8 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

Does anyone have picture of how it should look? My windshield and dash are still out, am I right that the channel slides onto the back edge of the dash? or do I have it backwards?
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Apr 10 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #11

Just for the record, this turned out to be one of the easiest jobs I've done on my 914. The old strip popped right out with a Harbor Freight right-angled pick and yes it exploded into a million pieces. The metal insert was not rusted to the channel, guess I was lucky. The new 914Rubber piece went in like it was pre-lubed and fit perfectly- Thanks Mikey!

Ansbacher
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 10:45 PM