Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Crankcase Breather Help, Understanding the Breather Ports
mtc911
post Apr 20 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,978
Region Association: South East States

So, I have researched this one quite a bit and i cant seem to find the right answer. I have a “built” 2056 with Dual Weber Carbs. I “believe” it is a 1.7 Case with 2.0 Heads on it - not 100% sure there but the engine number seems to indicate that.

Anyway

I have (2) the little Crankcase Breather Filters - one on the driver side and one on the oil fill (seen in the pictures). However there is nothing on the passenger side head. On the drivers side there is a T/splitter type thing that also pulls in a port out of the fan shroud.

Obviously these little filters are making an oily mess in the engine bay - nothing too tragic but i would like to get rid of it if possible. I have been looking at the little Cans by Empi and Scat - that look like they would work. But I’m still kind of confused.

1 - Why would I have one of these on the Driver side Head and not the passenger side?
2 - If i install one of those cans should i route the port off of the fan shroud into it? I have read both yes and no on that question in my research.
3 - Will the can really even help reduce the oil in the bay? I have read yes and no on that question too
4- attached diagram is what i was planning to do with the breather box - is this correct?
5 - is there any downside to using one of these instead of the little cheaply filters?

I have read a ton of posts on this in various forums and I cant come to a conclusion. Yet.

Thanks

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 06:28 PM