Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cam Swap, Engine All Together
Bleyseng
post Apr 27 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #21

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 27 2020, 05:14 PM) *

I'm no expert on this but I know I've read several times that D-Jet is good up to a 2056 engine. I'm in a similar situation as you. Thirty years ago I got tired of being stranded by a worn out D-Jet system in my 73 2.0L. The engine was due for a rebuild anyway so I tore it down and rebuilt the bottom end bone stock except with Euro spec pistons and a carb cam to match a pair of Webers purchased at the same time. Life happened and 30 years later, I'm just now at the point of finishing what I started. If I started today, I would have refurbished the D-Jet but given I have the carbs and the cam is already installed, I'm going to run with them for awhile. Maybe I'll tear it down and swap cams at a later time but that is TBD.

I have had my 2.0L car running Djet since I put it back on since 1998. It has failed once with a dead CHT in my driveway! Worn out parts hmm- you can buy new 123 dizzys now, injectors, rebuilt MPS's, etc... What the heck failed you all the time?
There are still 2.0L Djet setup's out there for someone to install on their car to make it "original".
I still have yet to drive a Megasquirt 2056 that runs as strong as mine. Do your homework as there are soo many possibilities..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 27 2020, 06:42 PM
Post #22

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(dereknlee @ Apr 27 2020, 05:00 PM) *
My searches led me to believe that Djet would work on something as big as a 2056, with some adjustment. TRUE
But I'm hearing that isn't the case for the 1.7L Djet (system). NOT EXACTLY TRUE
So now I have an even harder decision to make than when I started this thread.
Thanks all for the input! -Derek

A simple change to 96mm P&C with net you 1911cc's or 1.9L, Fun Motor! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Many of the components used on the 1.7L variaent of D-Jet can be used on a larger motor but to gain the most from the upgrade
youll need to replace certain items & want to replace other key items.
Think improved breathing & exhaust.
If you have the OE 1.7L HE's & muffler there is one restriction you will want to remedy.
On the intake side equally the 1.7L plenum intake & TB are going to be on the small side.
Will it work? Yes, but not ideal. A better solution is to use the induction from the 2.0L
Someone queried about your heads. VERY good point. depending on the heads you have/use will make the rest of your decisions easy or harder.
With some patience & judicial shopping you can find the stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 27 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

We should meet up at 914Werke one day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
dereknlee
post Apr 27 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 14,259

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 27 2020, 06:12 PM) *

We should meet up at 914Werke one day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

As is apparent, I am very much a novice when it comes to all of this, so just trying to soak up information like a sponge. It's encouraging to hear that it could work. I wish I had been more proactive in the build so that I'd have a better understanding today of what exactly I've got. Knowing that the engine has to come apart one more time anyway if I am going FI provides an opportunity for further improvements.

-Derek
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 27 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 27 2020, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 27 2020, 05:14 PM) *

I'm no expert on this but I know I've read several times that D-Jet is good up to a 2056 engine. I'm in a similar situation as you. Thirty years ago I got tired of being stranded by a worn out D-Jet system in my 73 2.0L. The engine was due for a rebuild anyway so I tore it down and rebuilt the bottom end bone stock except with Euro spec pistons and a carb cam to match a pair of Webers purchased at the same time. Life happened and 30 years later, I'm just now at the point of finishing what I started. If I started today, I would have refurbished the D-Jet but given I have the carbs and the cam is already installed, I'm going to run with them for awhile. Maybe I'll tear it down and swap cams at a later time but that is TBD.

I have had my 2.0L car running Djet since I put it back on since 1998. It has failed once with a dead CHT in my driveway! Worn out parts hmm- you can buy new 123 dizzys now, injectors, rebuilt MPS's, etc... What the heck failed you all the time?
There are still 2.0L Djet setup's out there for someone to install on their car to make it "original".
I still have yet to drive a Megasquirt 2056 that runs as strong as mine. Do your homework as there are soo many possibilities..

Remember, this was over 30 years ago. It was the 80s. There was no Internet and for sure nobody near me that knew anything about these fuel injections - not that I had any money to pay them if there were. Hell, the last tank of gas I put in that car was leaded!

But to answer your question, it was usually wiring that left me stranded although I did spend a lovely afternoon in Texas diagnosing an advance weight spring that had flown loose from the dizzy. Another time it was the injector trigger points. Another hot day on the shoulder of I-70 cobbling a patch for a fried tach wire. Luckily I had a roll of electrical tape and extra set of points in the car. There was more wrong because even when it ran during the last couple years on the road, it didn't run well.

Back then, ripping the D-Jet off and installing carbs was what all the cool kids were doing so that's what I decided to do. I think a Weltmeister kit with brand new Italian made 40IDFs set me back less than $200. Much cheaper than getting the FI fixed at the time. Like I said, today I would have stuck with the D-Jet. Better info available, a little more money, better understanding of the advantages, etc. I still plan to go through the D-Jet and make it like new but since the carb cam was sealed in the case decades ago and I have the carbs, I'm running with them for now. Going back to D-Jet will be a project for the future. I've had enough on my hands bringing this rust bucket back to life.
+Quote Post
dereknlee
post Apr 27 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 14,259

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 27 2020, 06:27 PM) *

I've had enough on my hands bringing this rust bucket back to life.

I've read through every page of your build thread since re-starting work on my car this month. Amazing work, I'm in awe! I really appreciate all the detailed info on almost every facet of the build, it is a great resource for those of us following behind with our own projects.

-Derek
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 27 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(dereknlee @ Apr 27 2020, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 27 2020, 06:27 PM) *

I've had enough on my hands bringing this rust bucket back to life.

I've read through every page of your build thread since re-starting work on my car this month. Amazing work, I'm in awe! I really appreciate all the detailed info on almost every facet of the build, it is a great resource for those of us following behind with our own projects.

-Derek

Thank you. That is extremely kind. I assure you that anything in that thread that appears like I know what the F I'm doing is purely dumb luck.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 28 2020, 05:51 AM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Get a stock 2.0 intake system and run MS or SDS EFI

I've installed and tuned a fuel only SDS system in a weekend. I ran a basically stock engine and intake (2.0 Djet injectors) with SDS for a few years in my teen, ran like factory FI.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:36 PM