Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which route to take - original or show quality?
gturner008
post May 6 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,163
Region Association: Canada

I have the end caps on order.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gturner008
post May 6 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #22

Finally

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gturner008
post May 7 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #23

Been cleaning the wheel wells.

Keeping the wax look.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gturner008
post May 7 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #24

Picture

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gturner008
post May 7 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #25

Picture

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gturner008
post May 13 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #26

Engine coming on.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 15 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #27

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Nice...

Those side roundels were part of a special promotion item beginning in 1975, the Sebring Promotion. Great to see an original car with them.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  zBro_74USA5.pdf ( 67.81k ) Number of downloads: 84
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gturner008
post May 15 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #28

Jeff, that’s amazing. Thank you for sharing. The previous owner was clear that the decals came with the car brand new.

Having them really adds to the authenticity of the car.

If you have any more details that would be good.

I’ll print off the leaflet and add to the file.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #29

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 4 2020, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(gturner008 @ May 3 2020, 04:57 PM) *

Will do Steve.

The car has an interesting history. One owner - same lady, kept in wonderful condition.

I’ve been promised early photos - and more history.

I’m going to keep the decals. I’m also going to detail the car as a survivor. Keeping with the original Zeibart anti corrosion protection. Does not look pretty, but it is what it looked like when it was delivered new.

I decided I don’t want to buff it up like new - but try to get it to look like as it was when it was first delivered.

Make sense?

Gary

Hi Gary -

Yes, it absolutely does. The original 914 paint had a slight orange peel to it from the factory, so an over working of the paint would remove it.

Pat Garvey - our original O&H moderator had talked about it on here many times, & had gone as far as to have the painter for the repaint of his back in the 80s - 90s (??) do the orange peel.

While I didn't know that detail back on my own 2 color changed repaints of mine, I would not recommend changing it nor over working the paint on an original survivor. When I mentioned above about a pro detailer checking & doing a deep clean-up, I was not recommending taking the paint down to smooth (you don't want to lose that much paint anyway).

Also, the L80E Light Ivory on yours is one of the best colors for not oxidizing, while reds like Steve's 73 & my buddy Jerry's 71 in "The few, the rare..." topic is one of the worst for oxidizing due to the pigments used in the paints. The condition of both of their original Bahia Red 914s is a testament to long term careful care.

As I said on the 914 roundel decal, live with it for a while at least, before deciding, but there is nothing wrong with keeping it permanently IMHO. Just be careful with polishes & other product on top & at the edges, because they can mar the printing, as well as build up at the edges of the decal - which looks bad & will get points dinged in our PCA Zone 8 Concours.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Hey Tom! My car was re-sprayed in 1979 and, as you stated, the orange peel level on the engine lid was the determinant for the rest of the car (the lid was never sprayed). Tough decision on the decal on the car mentioned here - it's a personal decision I guess. And, as someone else noted, you cab removed the Ziebart goo from everything but you'll still have the Ziebart holes and caps (I have spares if anyone needs them). I stripped every bit of it off my '72 in '74, except for the wheel wells. Once again, a personal choice.
Pat
+Quote Post
DANNYMAC
post Oct 7 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 24,470
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 26 2020, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 26 2020, 07:35 AM) *

Background. I have purchased a beauty. 1976, 39k mile, one owner, stunningly original car. Completely stock, original everything - never been painted and in perfect condition. Every detail is correct. Main dealer maintenance (19 services). No corrosion anywhere, even no surface rust on any fasteners - even under the car.

The car has the full rust treatment from new. Zeibart receipt from 1976. They really went to town. All the cavities wax treated, along with clear wax spray of the floor, and all underfloor moving parts. Engine and transmission coated in a thick wax coating.

The wheel wells were given a coating of black stone chip material.

With 39k miles, there is some stone chipping to the black undercoating, and you can see a few areas of the white paint showing. The engine underside is not pretty, given the thick wax coating. The suspension parts, front and rear, also don’t look new and shiny, because of the wax coating. Underneath the coatings, everything could be shiny and looking like new.

My question is, given I am detailing the car for shows and wanting to present the car in the best way possible, what route to take? Do I get everything as clean and fresh as I can - but leave the anti corrosion coatings in place? Or do I strip back all the coatings and get it to look pristine and factory new looking?

My instinct is the former. After all, this is how it left the selling dealer from new.

A nice problem to have, I know. I’m so lucky to have bought this absolutely lovely example. I don’t want to do something I later regret.

There’s that old saying. It’s only original once. I love the look of newly restored cars, where everything is shiny and new. But this isn’t a restored car. It’s original down to the last detail.

I’d really appreciate your views and opinions. Hope this makes sense. Thanks all.

G -

First - you should talk to some PCA judges in your Toronto area & check their rules in your PCA Region & Zone, for the specifics of what I say below.

My comments are from the PCA Zone 8 Concours perspective (which covers all Regions within Central & SoCal, So. Nevada, Arizona), with our rules - which many other PCA areas also use to develop their rules. They are similar to, but differ from the PCA National Parade rules - so look at the specifics there too. Likewise, if you're doing other organizations' Concours, then look to their rules.

That said - Originality is separate from "show quality" in both our Z8 & Parade respects - as it relates to how much of the car is original in order to qualify for a certain class of other original cars - as opposed to competing with restored cars. For our Z8 - a car must be 25 years old & 75% original paint & 75% original interior to qualify for our Preservation Division.

While Parade does judge cars for Originality in those classes (although sometimes not as exactly as whether the car has a dealer radio or Zeibart).

Whereas - once "qualified" for "Preservation Div. in Zone 8 - we judge all cars in all Divisions the same for cleanliness, detailing, maintenance & presentation.

Your Zone 1 is the same area for both NE Canada, as for NE USA States, & your Zone 1 Rules may be similar or different.

https://www.pca.org/region-directory?field_zone_tid=450

Whereas, "show quality" which you mention is related to your cleaning, detailing, preparation, maintenance, & presentation & who did it best.

So you can do a show car preparation etc. either with the Zeibart, or after removing it all (see the Sahara Beige one in the O&H nailed thread "The few, the rare ..." which Steve did remove all of the coating, which was a huge job).

IMHO removing or not is a personal choice, since it was as delivered by the dealer when new, serves/served an important function preventing rust & stone chip damage, & it can be clean-up as well as the texture of the paint over the factory paint over "schutz" chip protector under the belly & wheel wells paint - but a bit more textured though, so it may be more work to clean the nooks & crannies.

Another challenge may be how clean you can get the 44 year old wax coatings on the various suspension parts etc., since it will tend to catch the road grime & hold it, & cleaning will take it off.

I don't think that any experienced Zone 8 judge would deduct points for having the Zeibart, but may for not getting it pristine, since it's essentially a "cleaning contest" here.

If you were to remove it, then you'd also have to deal with sealing off the plethora of plugs used to inject tie inner wax everywhere, as Mark mentioned.

I'd suggest that you try just doing a really deep detailing & prep as you're leaning to first, then take it to a Zone 1 or other Concours & enter it, & get feedback from the more senior judges there, as to how it presents & scores there. It may only be do a little more here & there, or they may fell the full strip-off is better.

However, you're living in the Salty Roads Rust Belt, & even if you park it all winter, you still can pick up serious salt on a rainy road during an early Spring drive, before it's all washed away. So a coated/protected car would be better if you plan to drive it any amount.

Personally, I like the dark/black look of the wheel wells with the Zeibart etc. undercoatings, especially on lighter & medium color 914s.

My `73 2L had Zeibart as well (even sold new here in SoCal), but I have way more miles & far less pristine body work & parts - so no question on mine.

Bottom line - it's your choice & your preference, & whether you really want to show it seriously a lot up there & at Parade (2021 or ?? due to COVID).

But it's really NOT fair to just talk about your pristine 914 without pix, & you should also post pix inside, underside, & outside in that "The few, the rare..." topic for reference to others trying to restore their to original.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101921

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) &
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

How do you post on "The few , the rare" I've tried, "nailed" what does that mean, this site is very difficult to navigate.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 8 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #31

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2020, 08:55 AM) *

Unfortunately, With the Zeibart "treatment", holes were drilled all over the car and fitted with plugs. Not exactly original. Why not just make it the way you want. Show cars are sort of boring if all you do is take them to shows. Not to mention that there might not be any car shows for the next year or so.

Sit down! This could shock. As an original owner "frozen" into original-concours mode for 46 years...I was wrong! Enjoy the car - leave it alone or go whole hog. Concours ain't what it used to be. Have fun with it before it's too late.
+Quote Post
gturner008
post Oct 10 2020, 07:43 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 8 2020, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2020, 08:55 AM) *

Unfortunately, With the Zeibart "treatment", holes were drilled all over the car and fitted with plugs. Not exactly original. Why not just make it the way you want. Show cars are sort of boring if all you do is take them to shows. Not to mention that there might not be any car shows for the next year or so.

Sit down! This could shock. As an original owner "frozen" into original-concours mode for 46 years...I was wrong! Enjoy the car - leave it alone or go whole hog. Concours ain't what it used to be. Have fun with it before it's too late.

Will do. That’s my plan.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 10 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #33

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

My Six just completed a full rotisserie restoration and Pat Garvey's input had a big effect on the final outcome. I love my car and those who have seen it have expressed their satisfaction with the outcome as well. I have put about 2,600 miles on it since August 2, 2020. It is not a garage/trailer queen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:27 AM