Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Re-rebuilt transmission, built my transmission again
panayotisnikas
post May 7 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,021
Region Association: None

Hello everybody ,
recently I built a 5 speed gearbox and flipped it to go in a beetle,
Replaced the rear input shaft bearing that was exploded, first gear dog teeth and synchro ring . Also diff bearings seals etc.
Everything was rather ok except a noise around 2500 on deceleration, meaning it made a kind of sound when taking my foot rapidly off the gas. Barely audible so I didn't bother too much.
It also made a noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd the whole while the clutch was pressed it reminded me of the whine reverse does when you take your foot off the gas,
Again no big deal.

Until the input shaft bearing had a ball break in half and the transmission was noisy.
Bearing was a chiniese off the map brand so we can assume it was the fault since balls really rarely break.
So I pulled the transmission off the car and noticed that the roller bearing for the pinion didnt have a very happy looking race and the input shaft Roller race wasn't perfect as well.

I replaced all 3 bearings with genuine porsche ones.
meanwhile I took a close look to the ring and pinion. They are in ok shape but not perfect, shiny, no marks but some teeth have some stain looking marks, you can't catch them with your nail but can notice them specially with a magnifying glass.

I assembled the gearbox , installed it on the car and the results are:
1) You almost can't notice any sound when clutch let off in neutral, makes some very minimal noise that you have to twist your mind to hear, but again its a gearbox not a clutch.
2) strange sound from 1st to 2nd disappeared
3 sound when letting gas off at 2500 is better cold but didn't dissapear.

Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 07:26 PM