Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Primer recommendation?, Windshield frame, eng comp, frunk & trunk, etc...
jcd914
post May 22 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

I am trying to get some loose ends tied up and start driving my 914.

I need a recommendation on primer to use for touch up where I have had to grind or drill or weld on my 914. These are all places that are not usually visible and I am not worried about their looks, I am after something to protect the bare metal. I only need small quantity and application with a brush would be easiest.

When I bought this 914 it had been stripped and repainted but I have had to fix some things.
Most of the holes for the windshield trim clips had been welded up. (I don't know why?) So I had to grind through newish paint to locate some of the holes and drill new holes as needed. I need to prime the bare metal before I install the windshield.
I'm in CA and I have already attempted to get some pinch weld primer for butyl but it is no longer sold in CA.
I have some touch up to do in the engine compartment where the trunk hinges were broken loose and required repair. Who would paint a 914 without fixing the torn trunk hinge mounts?
I had to grind body filler out of passenger side of the front trunk seal channel around the head light bucket. They had so much filler the seal would not fit in the channel. Of course when I ground through the filler in the channel I found rust under it and had to clean that up.
There ares some other small places that need primer as well but it is all small stuff.

Thanks
Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914e
post May 22 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

I don't know if this would work for what you are doing. I like the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating Aerosol Green for hidden areas and seams it wicks in seams which I hope will keep rust from forming there. It has internal frame spray nozzle. You can switch the can to a regular nozzle and some places I sprayed into a can and brushed it on.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 22 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #3

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The Eastwood products are good. I'd also suggest Kirker epoxy primer. You can get it in quarts, and it's more expensive than rattle can, but not as expensive as PPG or DuPont epoxy primer.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:11 PM