Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Carb manifold sealing, use phenolic spacer or not
North Coast Jim
post May 22 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Engine is out and I'm doing some investigations. Bought a set of Redline 40 IDFs for the engine build. They've run OK but not great. Couldn't keep lean idle set properly. drivability an issue, pops and backfires at times. Jetting changes made no difference. Suspected gasket air leaks. Should have done the starting fluid check but didn't.

While the engine is out took the manifolds off from the heads. The gasket as supplied from Redline is a thick phenolic (?) spacer with paper adhered to both sides. Found a defect in each one at both ports. Near the top of each port the phenolic has a defect - a void. The paper on each side covers the defect but does not seal the intake. Found evidence of a leak path at this area

Question - do I need the phenolic spacers ?? Can't find them on line as single replacement parts. Read of a need to keep the carbs from heat soaking but the manifolds are aluminum and are 5" tall. Don't see a need for them. Am I correct in this analysis ??

Was thinking of using .060" gaskets with Permatex red (min film deposit ) at this interface instead. What wisdom can you all impart.

Thanks for any and all input
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mark Henry
post May 23 2020, 11:20 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Use them.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post May 24 2020, 05:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2020, 01:20 PM) *

Use them.

Thanks Mark, always value your opinion. Where does one go to purchase these items. all I find are the standard gaskets not the spacers gaskets. Can you supply a source name or two for me. Thanks again.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:38 PM