Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1973 porsche 914 pre-purchase inspection, rust right inner paneling
wkp
post May 25 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,310
Region Association: Northern California

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have never owned a 914 before. Recently I had a PPI done on a 1973 914 2.0.

Inspector found little to no rust on entire car except for rust in the Right inner paneling (metal rot) picture attached.

How big of an issue is this rust and how costly to repair?

Thanks for your help. Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 17)
windforfun
post May 25 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Keep looking. Did you pull the rockers?
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post May 25 2020, 02:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,234
Region Association: Canada

I would be a little weary about the undercoat. Looks fresh.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 25 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(wkp @ May 25 2020, 12:57 PM) *
I'm new to the forum and have never owned a 914 before. Recently I had a PPI done on a 1973 914 2.0.

Inspector found little to no rust on entire car except for rust in the Right inner paneling (metal rot) picture attached.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Do a search here for "hell hole", this is a know problem area.

As a general rule, the rust you see is about 10% of what is there.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

+Quote Post
wkp
post May 25 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(windforfun @ May 25 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Keep looking. Did you pull the rockers?

No, inspector did not do this.
+Quote Post
wkp
post May 25 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Nojoah @ May 25 2020, 03:23 PM) *

I would be a little weary about the undercoat. Looks fresh.

Yes, inspector said it had a light undercoat. he did poke around with a screw driver though and found no soft areas.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 25 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Since the shelf is rusted through, I would want to really inspect (i.e. try to shove an ice pick through) the top of the longitudinal, aka Hell Hole, from below the battery to the lower corner where the firewall and inside fender wall meet.

And like others said, you should really get the outer rocker panels off, or at least detached along the bottom, and look for rust in the outer long.

Plus, my own pet rust spot, is the floor below the seats. Try to look under the carpet.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 25 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My concern is always the rear inside passenger suspension console. It’s a $2,500-3k repair.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 25 2020, 10:36 PM
Post #9

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

I would say there is a lot more rust to find than what your "inspector" found. If you truly want to know the actual condition of a 914 you need an inspection by someone who is well versed in the 914 and their various pitfalls. You only need to look under the cover in my garage to see why you need someone who knows what they are looking at to give you a meaningful assessment of a 914.

I see you are in Northern California. There are a number of really knowledgable members in this region who, in my experience, have been generous with their time and might be willing to take a look at the car for you. You could start a new thread asking for help with an inspection in the city the car is located in. If you are in the Bay Area I could point you to a shop in Oakland that could give you a thorough inspection by a 914 expert.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 26 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #10

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Very smart of you to have someone inspect the car. BTW you have arrived at the best 914 site on the web. Guys here are very helpful. If you ask for someone to do a PPI for you I'm sure you'll get a few responses. Everyone here knows where the rust hides and how to find it.

I don't know the experience of your inspector but it wouldn't hurt to get someone here with 914 experience to look at the car. As Mark mentioned, suspension console repair can get very pricey. You want to buy the best 914 you can afford and know what you've bought.

914 beauty is skin deep and rust goes right through the car.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 26 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #11

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great that you did a PPI. You've already been given great advice. In case you want to learn more about rust in this area, check out my video on the hell hole and "rust never sleeps". Links in my signature below. Keep us posted!
+Quote Post
wkp
post May 26 2020, 12:11 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 25 2020, 09:25 PM) *

Since the shelf is rusted through, I would want to really inspect (i.e. try to shove an ice pick through) the top of the longitudinal, aka Hell Hole, from below the battery to the lower corner where the firewall and inside fender wall meet.

And like others said, you should really get the outer rocker panels off, or at least detached along the bottom, and look for rust in the outer long.

Plus, my own pet rust spot, is the floor below the seats. Try to look under the carpet.
Thanks Everyone for all the help. Will see if I can get additional pics with the rocker panels off.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 26 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is why you need someone who knows what they are looking for. They rust from the inside out.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wkp
post May 27 2020, 08:55 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(fiacra @ May 25 2020, 11:36 PM) *

I would say there is a lot more rust to find than what your "inspector" found. If you truly want to know the actual condition of a 914 you need an inspection by someone who is well versed in the 914 and their various pitfalls. You only need to look under the cover in my garage to see why you need someone who knows what they are looking at to give you a meaningful assessment of a 914.

I see you are in Northern California. There are a number of really knowledgable members in this region who, in my experience, have been generous with their time and might be willing to take a look at the car for you. You could start a new thread asking for help with an inspection in the city the car is located in. If you are in the Bay Area I could point you to a shop in Oakland that could give you a thorough inspection by a 914 expert.

Thanks for all the help; am going to pass on the car as owner is not willing to pull off rocker panels.

If I do find another car in the bay area, what is the name of the shop in Oakland that you would recommend?

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 27 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

that is next to nothing?
QUOTE(wkp @ May 25 2020, 12:57 PM) *

Hi,

Thanks for your help.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 27 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #16

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(wkp @ May 27 2020, 07:55 AM) *

Thanks for all the help; am going to pass on the car as owner is not willing to pull off rocker panels.

If I do find another car in the bay area, what is the name of the shop in Oakland that you would recommend?

There you go! That ought to tell you something. I did a PPI for a fellow member a while back and the same deal except he placed his BiL in as a buffer. When I asked to remove them he said he couldn't w/o his BiL's approval (the current owner) and that he is hard to get ahold of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 27 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(wkp @ May 25 2020, 11:57 AM) *

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I also see a hole all the way through the base of the firewall, good idea to pass on this deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 27 2020, 02:56 PM
Post #18

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(wkp @ May 27 2020, 07:55 AM) *

Eason Auto Works. https://www.easonauto.com Bill Eason has an immeasurable fund of knowledge about vintage Porsche, not just the 914. But also don't forget that there are a lot of 914 experts in our area, many of whom would be willing to help you look at a car. I said it earlier, but once you've looked at a car you think you might want start a thread asking for someone in the area to help you properly inspect it. It's a steep learning curve and I've never met a group of more helpful people than 914World members. You might also consider putting a car wanted posting up on this site. You never know what might pop up. It's not on his website, but Bill also occasionally will broker a car, or know of someone who is considering selling, so it is potentially worth a call to him to see if he has any leads for you.

BTW, if you tag someone in a post they will get an alert letting them know you posted a comment or question you want them to see. Like this.... @wkp
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 10:25 AM