Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator light on?
76-914
post Jun 4 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jun 3 2020, 02:10 PM) *

had the Alternator checked this morning. Not charging because on or more of the diodes had failed. Expect to pick up the alternator tomorrow morning and have it back in the car by the end of the day. So I expect to join all of you on Saturday morning early (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Keep your old alt. R&R the defective diode then you'll have a spare. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 4 2020, 01:25 PM
Post #22

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 31 2020, 06:06 AM) *

What is the purpose of the diode attached to the alternator light terminal. The Haynes manual shows it connected in parallel with the blue alternator wire, connected to the brown with white stripe wires, but detail is difficult to be sure?

I worked through this a few years ago. Here is a link to the post:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t262302.html

I even made a spiffy schematic. OK, maybe not actually spiffy
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jun 4 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

Alternator had broken diodes. Service replaced the diode pack with a checkout. Installed the alternator this morning - all systems go with steady 14.6 volts.

Lessons learned: 1) our 911 engines from the early/mid 70's through the 80's do not have a diode behind the alternator light gauge, 2) the three wires attached to the alternator need to be insulated well to avoid grounding (in my case the small blue wire may have ground out at the alternator where it is difficult to see in the final stages of remounting the alternator to the engine, and 3) agree with Kent, these 911 alternators can generally be repaired for much less than buying a new or even refurbished unit.

Now ready for Saturday's Tour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 4 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Some more tips I picked up when doing mine ;
1- make sure the ground strap engine case to altenator is in good condition,mine was pretty crusty so I just replaced it,this advice came from Perry when he made my loom.
2- make sure you mark the top of the f/glass air deflector before removing as it can only work one way.
3- I found the nuts holding the air deflector were all loose,I replaced them with nylock nuts and larger washers to help prevent cracking the thin f/glass flange.
4- more sure you don't overtighten the fan housing strap otherwise the fan will contact in places...ask me how I know.
In summary its not an easy job so best to do it right the first time.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:05 AM