Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 with 95 Camaro Body?, Can I use 95 Camaro Body panels on a 914
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 6 2020, 12:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,793
Region Association: None

I have a 95 Mazda MX-3 that I call the Mazdamaro, as I've swapped in the bodywork of a 95 Camaro, narrowing the hood 6 inches and shortening the fenders 6 inches to fit.
It is my Lemons racecar. It looks good for 50ft away.

The problem with the car is I can't register it, and to keep them stored outside they must be registered where I'm at. I'd also like to drive it on the street. So I need a pre-1975 car with a title to register and insure it. So been trying to sell my mx-3, but not much luck, so now my twisted thinking has turned to swapping all of the parts over to my 1974 Porsche 914. I had another body swap planned for it, but that was even stranger and not feeling the lemons stupidity anymore, so this plan makes more sense than the old one!

They have the same wheelbase, the mazdamaro is a little wider. The big issue I see is the windshield rake is very different between them. And the roof line. I could put in the mazdamaro windshield frame and roof too and the polycarbonate hatchback.
I could put in the transverse v6 5-speed into the back using the mx-3 suspension, as I already added big brakes to it. Or use a longitudinal transaxle, as I have like 6 of them to choose from, which would take adapter plates to mate up.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 6 2020, 12:52 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

The Mazdamaro is amazing (!)—my vote would be for selling it as is via BaT to help fund your 914 project.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jun 6 2020, 05:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

I applaud the spirit of Lemons and I understand the quirkiness of many of the cars, but beyond that I am lost.

What motivated the original morph from MX 3 to Camaro? And now why involve an innocent 914 into this unholy marriage? If the 914 is titled and therefore registerable (I know, not a word), why must it become a pormazdamaro?

And somewhere in there you actually used the words “makes more sense”.

Help me Mr. Wizard!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuvQRdDJtLA
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jun 6 2020, 05:22 AM
Post #4

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jun 6 2020, 05:27 AM
Post #5

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I think a Miata might make a better fit.

Why destroy a valuable classic Porsche for a Lemons car?

914 are getting more rare and valuable all the time.

They are not really cheap to fix or run anymore either.

John
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 6 2020, 07:05 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 6 2020, 03:16 AM) *

What motivated the original morph from MX 3 to Camaro? And now why involve an innocent 914 into this unholy marriage? ..

The mx-3 had several years in lemons before I got it, the front end was rather smashed up, and then the driver door got smashed up pretty bad as a mazdamaro, so it got the camaro doors too, which btw they are all fiberglass and once stripped to the outer shell are very light and still strong vs the flappy steel shell doors. mx-3 parts are very hard to find anymore. and of course I like both being cheap and different and challenged. Faster, Cheaper, Better, pick 3 is what I say.

Maybe I didn't point out that my 914 was $200 and totally stripped. Almost everything that can be removed from it was removed from it, when I bought it, so it has effectively 'no body' on it. Getting all the parts to make it whole again is more stupidier than this plan, I could just buy another 914. I do like them, but that is not why I bought this one, it was bought because it was $200 and pre-smog. I think my previous posts here have a pic of it as I got it.
My Webpage

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-5727-1517084187.jpg)
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jun 6 2020, 07:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The important question:

Will it be known as the Porcamaro or the Camorsche?
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 6 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

@nimblemotorsports - having run all sorts of craziness in LeMons (including Fluffy the superleggera V12 XJ40 etc) I say do it.

The 914 was a goner anyway so who cares! Having a pre-smog car you can run around and dial-in in the road will be a big plus in getting her ready to race. A 914 is a great platform for LeMons, handle well, can add loads of power, engine is not in a vulnerable position, tons of mechanical support and parts availability. Big enough to get a cage and fire gear into etc...

Not everyone here will get it, but I'd encourage you to go for it and be active in posting questions and asking for help.

Press on, realize your dream. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 6 2020, 08:54 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jun 6 2020, 03:27 AM) *

I think a Miata might make a better fit...

I don't have a miata body, although could maybe find one cheapish, but I think it has a much shorter wheelbase, yep 90 inches vs 96 inches, and no room in back for the engine. but appreciate the suggestion. I have a 89 Tercel, perhaps I can use that body on the 914 instead of the camaro? It has a 94 in wheelbase. What would I call it.. Porchota T14 ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Now that I think about it, I like this idea more than the camaro, so perhaps if I do sell the Mazdamaro, I can still put the Tercel body on the porsche. Actually now that I think about even more, that was my original idea until I came up with the other one that was too weird!!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 6 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #10

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

It would be easier to make a mid engine Tercel than to rebody...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 6 2020, 02:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Jun 6 2020, 06:05 AM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 6 2020, 03:16 AM) *

What motivated the original morph from MX 3 to Camaro? And now why involve an innocent 914 into this unholy marriage? ..

The mx-3 had several years in lemons before I got it, the front end was rather smashed up, and then the driver door got smashed up pretty bad as a mazdamaro, so it got the camaro doors too, which btw they are all fiberglass and once stripped to the outer shell are very light and still strong vs the flappy steel shell doors. mx-3 parts are very hard to find anymore. and of course I like both being cheap and different and challenged. Faster, Cheaper, Better, pick 3 is what I say.

Maybe I didn't point out that my 914 was $200 and totally stripped. Almost everything that can be removed from it was removed from it, when I bought it, so it has effectively 'no body' on it. Getting all the parts to make it whole again is more stupidier than this plan, I could just buy another 914. I do like them, but that is not why I bought this one, it was bought because it was $200 and pre-smog. I think my previous posts here have a pic of it as I got it.
My Webpage

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-5727-1517084187.jpg)

Is the purplish 914 with GT flares (steel?) what you got for $200? Is it mostly or largely rust free? If so, it seems a real shame to rebody it. Sure, everything is gone, but some spend a lot to get to the point it's at right now...better to find a 914 that is complete but has body damage and transfer its parts?

+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 6 2020, 06:17 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 6 2020, 11:55 AM) *

It would be easier to make a mid engine Tercel than to rebody...

My original lemons project was the tercel with a flat-6 mid-engine. I had an EG33, but sold it. I have an EZ30 right now though.
It has the same problem as the mx-3, it is not smog exempt, has no title, is not registered.
btw, I paid $70 for it.

The purple 914 is my car. It isn't rusted, the flares are glass and have cracks, it rolls, but the brakes are missing parts, etc. what do u expect for $200 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
I have looked for another 914 to use for parts pretty much since I got this, but anything under $1000 is rusted or missing many parts too. Fact is I have too many cars already, so another parts car is not a good idea. I need to consolidate.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 7 2020, 12:08 PM
Post #13

Looks to me the tercel body will work on the 914..I want to chop the top of the tercel, so to use the 914 windshield frame, it looks to work for a chopped top tercel.
Because really, who doesn't have a deep desire for a chopped top tercel hatchback on a 914 chassis. And actually the tercel plan was to convert to 4wd electric, so let's do that too.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jun 7 2020, 12:45 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,779

I like this guy.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Jun 7 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,855

Why not a Suzuki Esteem on a 914 and call it the "Slippin' Jimmy" in honor of Saul Goodman from Better Call Saul.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 8 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 5 2020, 10:52 PM) *

The Mazdamaro is amazing (!)—my vote would be for selling it as is via BaT to help fund your 914 project.

Thanks, I tried BAT, Bring A Trailer is now Bring an Attitude, or maybe Bring an Air Conditioned 18-wheeled Automotive Transport Truck

"Unfortunately, we do not feel that your 1995 Mazda MX-3 is a good fit for our site and audience."
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 8 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

camaroMopar

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 8 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Jun 6 2020, 08:54 AM) *

Actually now that I think about even more, that was my original idea until I came up with the other one that was too weird!!

I don't mean to make trouble, but this has been really bugging me. Not once, but TWICE you have mentioned your idea that "was too weird" (with TWO exclamation marks I will add). To make it worse, it is by inference even weirder than putting a Tercel body on a 914. I think you have an obligation to spill it! What was this weird idea that makes a Tercel-bodied Porsche look sane? I've gotta know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jun 8 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 8 2020, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Jun 6 2020, 08:54 AM) *

Actually now that I think about even more, that was my original idea until I came up with the other one that was too weird!!

I think you have an obligation to spill it!

I have no such obligation. Only for my patreon subscribers do I tell all, and since I have none nor even a patreon page, it will remain a mystery, and who knows I might even do it anyway, maybe not on the 914 chassis if I use it here. Rest assured it has never been done before so a clear Lemons winner that if someone steals the idea like my cement mixer truck race car. I will give you one hint though if we want to play, the car number would be mirror image 45 like an ambulance lettering.

I was going to have it powered with TWO prius engines, because you know this is endurance racing, if one blew up I could still finish the race using the other, and we know how reliable a prius engine is right? And not one in front and back, TWO side by side in back, and if anyone found my previous posts, that is why it is too wide for a c5 suspension, not because it was a transverse setup. And since I have about 5 of these engines, I had some to spare, and the cost is $0 effectively, since I really believe the $500 thing despite the reality of it total BS.
Hey since I let this out of the bag, can we discuss how to setup two rear diffs connected together? I think I'm a genius sometimes, but I could not figure out how or would this would work? Sure I could lock both and it would work, but then no diff action which no thanks, been there done, broke it three times. Just make one locked and the other diff'd? If both diff's wouldn't it go nowhere?? lol

My buddy wants to buy the mazdamaro, so maybe just let it go cheap, cheaper than the parts I will need later, but once less car, I have 18 right now.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 8 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #20

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Gorilla tape some wings on it too. Then you can fly over the finish line.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:59 PM