Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Patrick motorsports/naroescape motorsports 6 engine mount, Any one have any tips and tricks for the installation .
Lg914
post Jun 6 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,275
Region Association: None

Good Saturday fine people.
I am getting things ready to install a naroescape motorsports engine mount for our six conversion. I understand that the engine will sit lower and after communicating with them they said the engine tin would need to be bent up in order to meet with the sealing rubber. Further they said that the mount is positioned where is is (low) so that it didn’t interfere with the proportioning valve for the rear brakes. We we don’t have have this valve as somewhere in it’s life our car was modified with a T fitting. We have autocrossed the car last year and didn’t find this to be an issue. So maybe I just weld the mount Ira bit higher? This is basically the same mount that Patrick Motorsports sells and they make it work on their builds.

So my question is this. Any one have any experience with these mounts? I am interested in the tilting aspect to be able to get my fat fingers to work on the engine while in the car. Telling me to ditch. This mount and get a different mount is not going to be very helpful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). I want to make this work but don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanking everyone in advance for any help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 6 2020, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

A bit hard to follow, but if you are asking if this mount works the answer is yes and don't think tin fitment is a big deal with it.

Unless you get confirmation that mounting it lower is a good idea I'd be reluctant to do that.

This is the mount I bought for my 3.2 build, haven't installed it yet but mocked it up.
+Quote Post
Lg914
post Jun 6 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #3

Maybe I can make my question simpler. Any one have issues mounting the mount as designed? If so what were they? And what did you do to overcome them?

Anyone raise the mount so that the engine tin sealed better? If so did you encounter any issues? If so what were they? And what did you do to overcome them?

Hoe this makes my obtuse rambling question more clear.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 6 2020, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Now that will get you the info you want.

Hope you are having a good start to your weekend.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Jun 6 2020, 09:30 AM
Post #5

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

This was addressed by Ben @mb911 in a recent post. Maybe he will see this and chime in.
I have this mount waiting to be installed too and am optimistic because PMS uses it and others have had success with it. Like any modified car, you may need to figure it out as you go.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 6 2020, 10:30 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Bolt it up un-welded, install the engine, bolt up the trans mounts, then using a jack etc position it so the seal hooks onto the tin nice, keep in mind it will settle a 1/8"-1/4" with full weight and tack weld it in place. Tack in places you can easily grind in case you need further adjustment. Remove engine and finish welding the mount.

The way I did this is with my 2 post lift and a scissor lift table which is probably the easiest and safest way. I used an RJ copy but the procedure should be the same.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 6 2020, 10:53 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You also need to think about what exhaust you're using, the shifting linkage and the oil lines. There needs to be room for everything to fit. Seems like a lot of work, but mocking it all up before final welding is a good idea. Sorry to complicate your life.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 6 2020, 10:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 6 2020, 11:30 AM) *

Bolt it up un-welded, install the engine, bolt up the trans mounts, then using a jack etc position it so the seal hooks onto the tin nice, keep in mind it will settle a 1/8"-1/4" with full weight and tack weld it in place. Tack in places you can easily grind in case you need further adjustment. Remove engine and finish welding the mount.

The way I did this is with my 2 post lift and a scissor lift table which is probably the easiest and safest way. I used an RJ copy but the procedure should be the same.

Good stuff, thanks.
+Quote Post
Lg914
post Jun 6 2020, 10:55 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 6 2020, 11:30 AM) *

Thanks for the good idea.
+Quote Post
Lg914
post Jun 6 2020, 11:00 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 6 2020, 11:53 AM) *

You also need to think about what exhaust you're using, the shifting linkage and the oil lines. There needs to be room for everything to fit. Seems like a lot of work, but mocking it all up before final welding is a good idea. Sorry to complicate your life.

Thanks for the input. Trying to avoid mock up. But probably can’t. At the present time the engine is a state away safe and sound while the garage with the car is small without adequate storage to safely store the motor. I am going to use Ben’s heat exchangers and exhaust. All oil cooler pluming will be braided soft lines except for the one short hardline on the motor.

I love a puzzle but don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Always willing to learn from others.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 6 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The real measuring point would be from the floor weld flange to the two bottom holes of the mount.. is 3 inches up from weld flange.

that's my factory piece..not bolted together in photo, yes my crapy photo.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 6 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Lg914 @ Jun 7 2020, 05:00 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 6 2020, 11:53 AM) *

Thanks for the input. Trying to avoid mock up. But probably can’t. At the present time the engine is a state away safe and sound while the garage with the car is small without adequate storage to safely store the motor. I am going to use Ben’s heat exchangers and exhaust. All oil cooler pluming will be braided soft lines except for the one short hardline on the motor.

I love a puzzle but don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Always willing to learn from others.

My engine was too low in the front using stock six bulkhead bracket and NOS rubber mount.raised it up and reached a compromise between the motor being level and the engine having the least gap with the engine tins.
I have to move my brake regulator, to the PO try to find this part and fit it...its there for a reason.
Mark Henry nailed it with fitment, it may require pulling it twice and refitting atleast,you can't assume anything in this situation ,the PO of my car told me the position of the welded in bulkhead mount was modeled off an original six....someone got it wrong ,do it right the first time as it a tight fit in there and there can be clearance issues.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 6 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

"was modeled off an original six....someone got it wrong "

70s reg was in a different placement.....factory six mounts where consistent 3300 units.....
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 7 2020, 07:46 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The major issues could be

1shift linkages
2 heat exchanger fitment (very close with stock heat exchangers)
3 engine seals (bending yeah not seeing that happening)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 7 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #15

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I’d suggest the McMount which is a close replica to the factory mount. Call Original Customs in Grand Rapids MI. Or @McMark here.

It’s in this car. Nothing had to be modified to use it...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 7 2020, 08:24 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 7 2020, 06:11 AM) *

I’d suggest the McMount which is a close replica to the factory mount. Call Original Customs in Grand Rapids MI. Or @McMark here.

It’s in this car. Nothing had to be modified to use it...

That's my current recommendation as well..

Also the Naro or PMS mount won't work with the stock -6 scavange oil line.. Not that any of feed back I gave was/is in anyway saying those mounts are bad products. The reality is I never understood the impact the mount would have on the other item's.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 7 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #17

914 Wizard

I’d suggest the McMount which is a close replica to the factory mount. Call Original Customs in Grand Rapids MI. Or @McMark here. It’s in this car. Nothing had to be modified to use it...

Maddog is McMarks vendor
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=287447
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:24 AM