Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to wire fuel pump? Carb conversion
Pdr1787
post Jun 7 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Sneaky Pete

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,779
Region Association: Southern California

Hi everyone,

Long story short, someone cut my main harness to rig up my car to work. The relay board was tossed as well. Now I have rewired and fixed the main wiring harness. bought a relay board and ignition harness (I have a carb set-up now). I do not see any positive lead to the fuel pump. I'm not sure where the positive lead come from originally and the ignition harness i bought doesn't have it. Any tips on how do I go about this?? Thanks in advance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
michael7810
post Jun 7 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

There's a How To article by Sir Andy. On the top right of your screen click on 914 Info; then Technical Articles and you will see it. Good luck
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 7 2020, 05:51 PM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@Pdr1787
See the how to article.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=fuel++carb

The fuel pump wires are in the main harness.
What year is your car? Up to 74 the wires are on the engine bay while later cars had them under the gas tank.
Best it you can use them and follow SirAndys method.
You just need to run a jumper ground wire from the four block connector on the relay board.
+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Jun 7 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Sneaky Pete

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 7 2020, 04:51 PM) *

@Pdr1787
See the how to article.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=fuel++carb

The fuel pump wires are in the main harness.
What year is your car? Up to 74 the wires are on the engine bay while later cars had them under the gas tank.
Best it you can use them and follow SirAndys method.
You just need to run a jumper ground wire from the four block connector on the relay board.

Mines a 71' , i don't see a postive lead coming from the harness. Im wondering if i added it to the plug that connects to the engine relay board and that was my mistake. Ill check out Sir Andy's method.
+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Jun 8 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #5

Sneaky Pete

I just don’t know where the positive lead to the fuel pump comes from exactly. Can anyone post a picture just so I can have a better idea of where to look just in case the guy from before just snipped it off.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 8 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Pdr1787 @ Jun 8 2020, 02:27 PM) *

I just don’t know where the positive lead to the fuel pump comes from exactly. Can anyone post a picture just so I can have a better idea of where to look just in case the guy from before just snipped it off.

For a '71 it should come out of the main harness on the passenger side inside the engine bay, under the battery tray but close to the front firewall and go gown under the engine shelf from there.

It should also have a round white plastic two-prong connector on it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay_files/FuelPumpPlug.JPG)

+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Jun 9 2020, 02:00 AM
Post #7

Sneaky Pete

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2020, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Pdr1787 @ Jun 8 2020, 02:27 PM) *

For a '71 it should come out of the main harness on the passenger side inside the engine bay, under the battery tray but close to the front firewall and go gown under the engine shelf from there.

It should also have a round white plastic two-prong connector on it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay_files/FuelPumpPlug.JPG)

I found it!! Sorry I didn’t know that. Thanks again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Jun 16 2020, 02:34 AM
Post #8

Sneaky Pete

So i have hooked up the fuel pump and I jumped the ground off the relay board as well but I'm also noticing i do not hear the fuel pump when i try to start the car. I do not have a fuel pressure sensor connected. I changed the set-up for a fuel pressure gauge. Do i have to have the original fuel pressure sensor hooked up as well to make the fuel pump work sense the relay should shut it off if there is no fuel pressure? The fuel pressure light is on in the gauge cluster.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 16 2020, 06:48 AM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Fuel pressure light in the gauge cluster? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) What color is that light? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) You are going to need to post pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) do you possess a Haynes manual?
+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Jun 16 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Sneaky Pete

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 16 2020, 05:48 AM) *

Fuel pressure light in the gauge cluster? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) What color is that light? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) You are going to need to post pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) do you possess a Haynes manual?

It actually was the light on the right hand side of the gauge. Not the oil pressure light. Also I found the fuse for the fuel pump was out. Inserted a new fuse and wallah. I can hear the fuel pump working. I just need to add brake fluid and bleed the brakes. Buy some gas and I should be able to start her right up. It’s been six years. I rebuilt the front and rear end. have a brand new motor from fat performance and transmission from rancho performance transmission. I’m super excited and I want thank all you guys for your help, tips and tricks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:03 PM