Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's my junk worth?
Franky_Four_Fingers
post Jun 14 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Where is the stoooone?

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,041
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hoping I can tap into the collective knowledge here:

I bought a 1971 914 which was built and raced in CVAR about a year ago and would like to continue my plans to create a GT tribute. The car came with a fresh 1.7 which I'm told was enlarged to a 1.9. The transmission (side-shift) was rebuilt and modified to be "close ratio". There was also some top-end mods done in 2018 in an attempt to find more HP.

I will post what info I have below, but I'm hoping some of you might help me identify what I have and what it's worth. My other question is whether or not I should keep the modified transmission or run the stock rebuilt 901 that I have. I'm planning to install a 2.2 with moderate cams and carbs. TIA

Info from the build sheet:

Engine: New Weber 40 IDF’s / EMPI Manifolds & Linkage / New Distributor Cap / Coil / Wires / Points / Plugs / New Euro Racing Matched Length Headers and Megaphone Exhaust. Heads overhauled by HFM 9:1 compression cut, New Pushrod Tubes and Viton Seals. New SCAT Hi Capacity Oil Sump.
Transmission: Internals Rebuilt by Joe Cogbill: Close ratio 4/5 gears installed, all new syncros, diff seals and gaskets. Shift linkage re-bushed and adjusted.

In case anyone here knows the car, I will post a pic.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmz
post Jun 14 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

I know the car sort of... It never really raced much with CVAR. Showed up at one or 2 events. I know that it went home early one event as i think it wasn't running well.

I think the car was just never sorted out. ...no idea what it is worth. It doesn't really matter though. ...it it is a solid platform and you want to build a GT Clone get after it.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Jun 14 2020, 08:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The engine will be worth something whole to someone looking to stay in the 1.7ish ball park. The 4 bolt heads are the limiting factor for those seeking performance. 40's are a good match for the 1.7.
Transmission "close ratio" is kind of hard to pinpoint. Will only be usable to another racer as close ratio boxes (S, X) will yield good power band shifting in a race setting , but not really good on the street. I may be interested in the box as a spare for my race car.
Values? hard to say -Engine in the $1-3 k range. Trans in the $1-1.5k range. Just wild guesses.
+Quote Post
Franky_Four_Fingers
post Jun 15 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Where is the stoooone?

QUOTE(jmz @ Jun 14 2020, 09:38 PM) *

I know the car sort of... It never really raced much with CVAR. Showed up at one or 2 events. I know that it went home early one event as i think it wasn't running well.

I think the car was just never sorted out. ...no idea what it is worth. It doesn't really matter though. ...it it is a solid platform and you want to build a GT Clone get after it.

Thanks for sharing: The car had 2 CVAR tech stickers on the windshield which I assumed were testing sessions. I think you are correct about the sorting issues: After taking delivery, I needed to correct a number of things before testing it at the track.
+Quote Post
Franky_Four_Fingers
post Jun 15 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Where is the stoooone?

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jun 14 2020, 09:57 PM) *

The engine will be worth something whole to someone looking to stay in the 1.7ish ball park. The 4 bolt heads are the limiting factor for those seeking performance. 40's are a good match for the 1.7.
Transmission "close ratio" is kind of hard to pinpoint. Will only be usable to another racer as close ratio boxes (S, X) will yield good power band shifting in a race setting , but not really good on the street. I may be interested in the box as a spare for my race car.
Values? hard to say -Engine in the $1-3 k range. Trans in the $1-1.5k range. Just wild guesses.

Thanks for your input, Charles.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 16 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Good luck with the EMPI linkage. Tangerine Racing, Chris Foley, has the best set up.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Jun 16 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Franky_Four_Fingers @ Jun 15 2020, 07:43 PM) *

I wish I was closer. I'd figure out a way to buy the whole driveline to use as an FP class set up. If you've still got it in a couple of months let me know and maybe we can work something out.
+Quote Post
Franky_Four_Fingers
post Jun 16 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #8

Where is the stoooone?

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Jun 16 2020, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Franky_Four_Fingers @ Jun 15 2020, 07:43 PM) *

I wish I was closer. I'd figure out a way to buy the whole driveline to use as an FP class set up. If you've still got it in a couple of months let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Will do!
+Quote Post
gms
post Jul 6 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

Did you get to race the car?
I am local, in Batavia IL out west
+Quote Post
Franky_Four_Fingers
post Oct 31 2020, 10:53 AM
Post #10

Where is the stoooone?

QUOTE(gms @ Jul 6 2020, 05:44 PM) *

Did you get to race the car?
I am local, in Batavia IL out west

Hi Glenn, sorry I missed your post. I took the car to ABCC and put it back on the trailer after 6 laps. While correcting the previous owner's "sins", I decided the car needed a complete rebuild.

I'm currently in the process of correcting rust issues, rewiring, installing flares and 2.7. Pic of the car in it's current state:

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:30 PM