Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My '74 Budget GT Tribute build, Undergoing repairs to the shell
pencap914
post Sep 2 2021, 11:29 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,872
Region Association: Northern California

So now I have a problem to solve: What to do about the brake proportioning (err.. pressure equalizer?) valve. My car is a late 74 build so its the later style more commonly found on 75-76 cars, so I had to remove the valve and bracket to make way for the /6 engine mount. I may see if PMB would be willing to take this one as a core for a rebuilt early valve, then find some hard lines from an early car, or bend my own.

Next big project: Take on this ugly mess found on both sides of the car:

Attached Image

A previous repair attempt was made, but unfortunately its just insufficient. I purchased the cowl repair panels from AA. Not really looking forward to this repair, but it has to be done. This certainly will push my skills to the max. Lets hope I don't c**k it up too bad!

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 3 2021, 06:30 AM
Post #42

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Sep 3 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Glad to see all of this progress being done on the car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I originally purchased this car in hopes of making it my dream 914 while still driving my DD 73. I felt the condition of the white 74 was a better base than my 73. After doing some of the work (inner and outer kit) the project car sat in the garage for a couple of years. It also made me realize that my dream 914 was my 73 DD because of its sentimental value, even though I didn’t think it was as good of a foundation as thé 74, now yours.

I am sad to see all of the issues you are having with the repairs that were done before my ownership. One thing I never understood was why they cut the lower firewall through the shifter port... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

For the front fender, you saw and commented on the work I recently did on mine. I wasn’t impressed by AA’s repair piece and that is why I got an original fender part from Vince (Hesperia area) but I took my sweet time to find the right one in his yard.

I will send you AA’s part if you want it. This repair definitely pushed my level of craftsmanship and I am happy with my modest work. Go very slowly and analyze. I did get excellent inputs from Cary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

This will be a very nice car when completed, keep up the good work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Sep 3 2021, 09:41 PM
Post #44

Thanks Eric! Yeah its been a great project for me.

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 3 2021, 11:14 AM) *

I am sad to see all of the issues you are having with the repairs that were done before my ownership. One thing I never understood was why they cut the lower firewall through the shifter port... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I know right?!? And why would someone replace the entire rear part of the floor without repairing the blatantly obviously busted clutch tube? I saved the invoice you gave me for the shop that did all that work, if I remember correctly, it was over $3000. Someone paid a lot of money for some sloppy work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 3 2021, 11:14 AM) *

I will send you AA’s part if you want it.

Ah shoot I should have reached out to you earlier, but I bought it months ago, I doubt AA would take it back. I think I can make use of them rather than chopping up a good original fender. I think I have a plan... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I'll get started on that later in fall. I'm thinking the car will have to come down off the rotisserie and onto a frame dolly before I start on the cowl repair. I'd imagine the rotisserie puts a lot of stress on this area of the car.

Anyone have a frame dolly they want to sell? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 7 2021, 10:22 AM
Post #45

Figuring out the oil system for the 2.7. Was on the fence about using Ben's SS oil lines since I didn't realize the 4-cyl engine mounts are going to have to be cut off for these to work. I've read from others here that its not an easy task getting those off. However, after closer at the mounts, and figuring out a "demolition plan" I think I know how to take them off without much issue.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 7 2021, 10:26 AM
Post #46

Also working on restoring the fiberglass engine shroud for the 2.7. Few cracks in the fiberglass will have to be addressed, then sanded and painted. This week I'll stop buy the automotive paint shop to talk about what would the best paint options would be for this. A fiberglass engine shroud is a challenging place for automotive paint....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Nov 7 2021, 08:18 PM
Post #47

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

Really like where this thread is headed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Fantastic work thus far!

+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 12 2021, 02:16 PM
Post #48

Got the 4cyl motor mount removed yesterday! Wasn't too bad to remove, a spot weld cutter and a 90 degree die grinder with a 3" cutoff wheel did most of the heavy lifting. Clean-up took a variety of tools to polish off the old welds. (Forgot to snap a pic of the finished product before leaving the house this morning...)

Now on to final fitup for the SS hard oil lines, and more weld cleanup on the outer longitudinal stiffening kits.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Nov 13 2021, 04:00 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thx for posting progress on this build!

Lots of parallels to my GT build (not well documented here), some very similar issues with rust repairs; good to see you getting the stiffening panels in and removing the -4 mounts. On a real -6 there is a small bracket which holds up the oil feed pipe - which you might want to add "while the welder is out". I had a car I could measure dimensions off of, and cut it out of flat plate. I have pics somewhere if you're interested....

Also: oil cooler looks like the Behr Mercedes one?

- Tony
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Nov 13 2021, 08:57 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

Your car is coming along well. I'm at the point of plumbing a 3.0 to the front oil cooler. I'm looking at Ben's SS GT oil lines as well. What's your plan on a T-stat location and hose layout ?

Post pics please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Nov 13 2021, 12:22 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Great progress Glenn!
I really like the craftsmanship!
Those oil lines look really nice!
Have you started looking at paint shop? I am slooowly making progress on the preparation of my roller for paint. I will be interested in hearing about your findings. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 15 2021, 10:38 AM
Post #52

Tony-

Just found your handle on IG. Holy cow that's a nice build you have there. Hoping my build will turn out similar!

In the near future I'll need to weld on that oil feed pipe bracket. I saw someone made these and had them for sale (Perhaps tangerine racing?) I thought about making one too, looks pretty simple. Nothing a body saw and a die grinder couldn't handle. If you have pix and dimensions handy that would be much appreciated if you sent that over!

Good eye, yeah that's a Behr oil cooler from a Mercedes. Eric (Montreal914) included it when I bought the car from him.

Luke-

I'm noodling through the T-stat location now, still might go with a Mocal t-stat since they're about half the price of a Porsche unit off an SC or something. I Like what Ben (mb911) has done with his t-stat setup. (See the "914-6 GT oil cooler set up install and prototyping thread") I think my T-stat will go somewhere in a similar location, about where the old left side 4cyl engine mount went. I'll certainly post more pictures as I make progress!

Eric-

Thanks! I've only been casually asking around for a paint shop, no solid leads yet. A friend of mine recommended a place in Reno where he's had a few classic cars painted. His logic is outside of California, shops can use better paints since California is restrictive on the chemicals used.... not sure if this is true or not. There are a few shops outside of Sacramento that I may call to get quotes from as well.

I'm even considering hauling the shell up to Brosseau's coachworks in Oregon City to have him chuck up the shell on a Cellete bench, then media blast and epoxy primer. However, he's about 9-12 months out from having availability at the moment...

Let me know if you find a good shop! As you know, I have friends that live in SoCal and don't mind the haul down there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Luke M
post Nov 15 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #53

I've been following Ben's thread on the oil lines stuff. Just wanted to see what others where doing and compare. If you plan on running a 6 oil tank in the factory location you may want to remove that fan mount. We left my brothers in place and couldn't get the oil filter on with it there.
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 15 2021, 12:24 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 15 2021, 10:05 AM) *

I've been following Ben's thread on the oil lines stuff. Just wanted to see what others where doing and compare. If you plan on running a 6 oil tank in the factory location you may want to remove that fan mount. We left my brothers in place and couldn't get the oil filter on with it there.

Good to know. I'm using one of Ben's oil tanks, so that fan mount is not long for this world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Nov 15 2021, 04:16 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

re: Just found your handle on IG. Holy cow that's a nice build you have there. Hoping my build will turn out similar!

- Thx so much

In the near future I'll need to weld on that oil feed pipe bracket. I saw someone made these and had them for sale (Perhaps tangerine racing?) I thought about making one too, looks pretty simple. Nothing a body saw and a die grinder couldn't handle. If you have pix and dimensions handy that would be much appreciated if you sent that over!

- These pics were what I based mine on:

Attached Image

Attached Image

These pics are from a real -6 chassis NOTE the bad welding (factory!), and the thickness is the same as the metal on the engine lid. I made mine out of the leftover metal remaining when I cut out my GT engine lid. Hope this helps!

- Tony
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 16 2021, 02:48 PM
Post #56

Thanks Tony! I should be able to work from that.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Nov 18 2021, 10:24 AM
Post #57

Question on the SS oil lines going down the drivers side. Did you have to make any adjustments to the jack post or did the lines fit perfect like in your pic above?

+Quote Post
pencap914
post Nov 30 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 18 2021, 08:24 AM) *

Question on the SS oil lines going down the drivers side. Did you have to make any adjustments to the jack post or did the lines fit perfect like in your pic above?

Sorry just saw this Luke, The jack post never moved. It may look a bit different because of the outer stiffening kit over the top of the longitudinal. Its a bit of a maneuver to fish the upper SS line in between the jack post and the body skin, but I'm impressed how well the SS lines fit and line up. I'm glad they do, because they would be a bear to bend.

Hoping to get the final fit-up in the next week or so and start welding in the mounting studs.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 1 2021, 05:49 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(pencap914 @ Nov 30 2021, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 18 2021, 08:24 AM) *

Sorry just saw this Luke, The jack post never moved. It may look a bit different because of the outer stiffening kit over the top of the longitudinal. Its a bit of a maneuver to fish the upper SS line in between the jack post and the body skin, but I'm impressed how well the SS lines fit and line up. I'm glad they do, because they would be a bear to bend.

Hoping to get the final fit-up in the next week or so and start welding in the mounting studs.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I needed to know.. Now to hit up Ben for a set.
+Quote Post
pencap914
post Apr 7 2022, 01:38 PM
Post #60

Slowly pecking away at the tub, getting distracted playing with the engine now.

The 1975 2.7 911 engine I purchased last year included an alternator that looks and feels a little rough. Diode readings were also indicating the need for a refresh, so being uneducated on the subject of 911 alternators, I ordered one from Autohausaz, and it turns out its the later style alternator that will need to have the housing hogged out for it to fit. (See 2nd photo, bolts are too short)

Now the question is, do I send my original Motorolla unit out for a rebuild (~$250) or do I keep this $330 Valeo unit, and pay to have my fan housing cut out (~$100+)

I believe my original SEV/Motorolla unit is 50(?) amps with an external voltage regulator (VR), and the Valeo unit is 75 amps with an internal VR. I've heard folks complaining about having the VR integrated to the alternator, since it sits on top of the engine getting baked by engine heat all the time. So my question is it really worth the upgrade for more output? I plan on running a set of vintage 55A Marchal auxiliary driving lights on the 914, so I'm wondering if my current Motorolla unit would be beefy enough to handle my demand. Any thoughts on this subject?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:06 AM