Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the fastest anyone has gone in a 914?, what kid of body modifications were done to the car?
Carbon-14
post Jun 28 2020, 10:48 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,238
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 27 2020, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 27 2020, 08:57 AM) *

Not trying to spoil the party but if your thinking of testing your upper limits I'm going to suggest you don't do this on a public road. Me and 99% of us don't have our cars set up for this or the skills to do it. Unless set up correctly, these cars get very touchy and light in the rear at 125 or more. Mine floated 6ft to the right after running over one of those little 1/2" lane reflectors @true 125mph. WTF was I thinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Evidently the Salt Flats at night is Not a good idea..
https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/car-t...iNA8KL6IppFdWmw

Why mandatory driver training is a life preserving undertaking, to get the death threat into the incompetent heads of hormonal teen gonads.
Racing is for tracks, by trained racing drivers, safely protected by race equipment.
Stupid is as stupid does, the Darwin Award winners at sixteen, ' Natural Selection ', mother nature not so amused.
Cro-Magnon teen Ookie was told not to mess with the Mastodon, ended up toe jam.
They still laugh about the unfortunate, entertaining fate around the campfire.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Jun 28 2020, 10:59 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 20,561
Region Association: Southern California

in 1981 with Stock 73 2.0l 52,XXX miles running Konis with stock sway bars 4 spoke Fuchs with whatever the stock size tire was.
California desert hwy 395 at night. Flat out was 122 indicated and not at reline. Didn't really float all that much

Same stretch of hwy in my brothers 455 Trans Am. Car start to float so bad at 110 I had to back off.

Greg W.
+Quote Post
9146GUY
post Jun 29 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 19,420
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have to do this in two posts as the photos are too large.

So back in the day I raced a 914-6 at Daytona. First time with pop up headlights. Second time with lights behind front spoiler. Put the H/L's up and lose 5-7 MPH on the banking. The car in this configuration was good for about 150-155 MPH with a 2.5 engine

Attached Image
+Quote Post
9146GUY
post Jun 29 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 19,420

Second picture is at Mid-Ohio Lumbermans. We added a spoiler not a wing because no air could pass under the wind. Look closely and you can see the lexan along the edge that didn't allow air under the wing. This set up was good for short tracks. Added lots of rear downforce. Turn 1 at MO was flat with spoiler. Without.... lift, count to 2, turn in and hold breath. If you were good you made it. The car would do about 140-145 going into 7 at MO. We might have slipped in a 2.7 for that race.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Jun 29 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #85

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jun 27 2020, 05:41 PM) *

I've been watching this thread with some amazement. Most of us on this forum are 50+ years of age. Is top speed really that big of a deal anymore? Especially, when compared to the average econobox available today, our cars are turtles. What gives?

Ansbacher

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I bought mine for the fun factor both when young and now again when old, never considered it fast like my former 68 firebird 400
+Quote Post
crash914
post Jun 29 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #86

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have some pictures somewhere of the build. I think we were installing the engine..

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 26 2020, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 25 2020, 06:13 PM) *

OK, I'll bite....here's Kermee at Daytona clocking 153 on my GPS...watch the American Flag showing the nice tailwind down from turn 4 to the tri-oval start/finish line...I pointed at the buried 150mph speedo at about 1:06 in the clip....
Pump up the volume & enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsRVmnX09c

Oh yeah...here's the body configuration....

Impressive driving . great hand coordination at that speed . .... About how far ahead are you looking ?

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 14 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Indeed, it is very much a street car with track bits - quite comfortable actually. Mark, I hope you are well...!

Tony

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 25 2020, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 25 2020, 08:28 PM) *

I think Tony's car, @cracker , is the fastest 914 I have heard of. Chris' car is going to be one for the record books too. I can't imagine what Matty's Porsche V-8 engined car is going to be like. I hope to be there if he attempts to reach a top speed, on a track of course. Can you imagine Tony and Chris' car on the track together. I know there are quite a few LS motors in 914's but I am really only familiar with those two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I was thinking Tony's car as well. He did Octeenerfest so it's a street/track car.

+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 14 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #88

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 27 2020, 06:57 AM) *

Not trying to spoil the party but if your thinking of testing your upper limits I'm going to suggest you don't do this on a public road. Me and 99% of us don't have our cars set up for this or the skills to do it. Unless set up correctly, these cars get very touchy and light in the rear at 125 or more. Mine floated 6ft to the right after running over one of those little 1/2" lane reflectors @true 125mph. WTF was I thinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Thank you.
Warren
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 14 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #89

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Carbon-14 @ Jun 28 2020, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 27 2020, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 27 2020, 08:57 AM) *

Evidently the Salt Flats at night is Not a good idea..
https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/car-t...iNA8KL6IppFdWmw

Why mandatory driver training is a life preserving undertaking, to get the death threat into the incompetent heads of hormonal teen gonads.
Racing is for tracks, by trained racing drivers, safely protected by race equipment.
Stupid is as stupid does, the Darwin Award winners at sixteen, ' Natural Selection ', mother nature not so amused.
Cro-Magnon teen Ookie was told not to mess with the Mastodon, ended up toe jam.
They still laugh about the unfortunate, entertaining fate around the campfire.

When it cametime to learn how to drive, my Dad asked me to move the Ford Falcon by hand. Then he suggested that I try to stop it from speed by getting in front of it. Quite an impression, but by then he had shown me coastal navigation. In our wooden boat was carved 11 Tons. So, I had a lot of respect for steering large loads at speeds I had to think carefully and quickly about how to control. Man, I love to drive, but safety fast.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:03 PM