Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to un-DAPO the "new" car, Bad things happened to a nice car
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So, I bought a "new" 914 a few weeks ago (a '73 2.0). When I received it from the shipper, I noticed was the seller was quite artful about his pictures, with what was and what wasn't shown. And, now that I've had a chance to start taking things apart, I have uncovered quite a bit of DAPO-done-damage, and I'm sure there's more hiding somewhere (oh boy! something to look forward too....). Some of the damage appears to have been there for a loooong time.

I've already received a piece from a scrap car to fix this hole:
Attached Image

Once I took the rockers off, I discovered this:
Attached Image
Yes, they hole-sawed through FOUR layers of sheet metal, including the heat duct. Not sure what they were thinking, but there it is.

In the trunk, I found three hole-sawed holes. I think they might have been thinking about mounting the fuel pump in a 75/76 blister, but they never finished the work (and also picked the wrong location).
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 27 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Front mounted oil cooler or AC? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Look for holes at the feet of the passenger side.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 27 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 27 2020, 10:32 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 27 2020, 01:32 PM) *

Possibly, but no holes inside on the passenger side. If that's what they were doing, then they gave up before finishing.

But wait! There's more:

They did front-mount the fuel pump. However, for whatever reason, they decided to run the wiring for the pump through the passenger compartment. And, they drilled a hole in the firewall above the EFI computer to do it (notice, no grommet).
Attached Image
The wire runs between the passenger seat and the longitudinal, and then up into the front trunk through the grommet for the heat air tube and then down under the tank to the pump. Once I get a chance to pull the tank, I'll be able to see how that is mounted.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #5

But, so far, the "best" has to be the hole they hacked into the center tunnel, near the pedals.
Attached Image

My guess is that they were changing the cables, and wanted easier access to the tunnel. So they took an air chisel and hacked their way in. And they left the piece they cut loose.

Here's the hole without the hacked piece.
Attached Image

I cut it off with a pair of snips. I'll take a look at welding the piece back in, so at least I still have the piece, even though it needs to be reshaped.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #6

And, in the archaeology department, here's a couple of interesting things I found:

According to the maintenance records, the first owner of the car was a woman. It looks like she wore a lot of bobbi pins, since here's what I found on the driver's side and in the center console:
Attached Image

Also, when I first pulled the floor mats, I saw a bit of brown on the front firewall. I just assumed someone had made a replacement floorboard out of particle board. However, once I got the front carpet out, I discovered it was actually a molded piece of hard urethane foam.
Attached Image Attached Image

Has anyone seen this before? It's new to me, previous car didn't have one.

And, is a floorboard supposed to go over this? Or, is this the floorboard?
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #7

It turns out that the car may have it's original spare tire.
Attached Image
Attached Image

It's a bias-ply Continental in 165R15, and still looks pretty nice on the top side (inside).

It doesn't hold air anymore, so I'm going to replace it with a new tire at some point. However, if some CW would like the tire for a concours display, just pay shipping and I'll send it to you after I get it replaced.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 27 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #8

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The foam is factory correct for an early car. It's smaller than the later cars. A piece of carpet is fitted over it.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 12:44 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 27 2020, 02:30 PM) *

The foam is factory correct for an early car. It's smaller than the later cars. A piece of carpet is fitted over it.

According to the Karmann production number, this car was made on 5 March 1973. My previous 914 was built in the last week of April 1973. This car has the foam wedge, but my previous car had a wooden floorboard and no foam.

Did these two cars fall across a running change? Or, did someone replace the foam wedge on my previous car with a wood board?

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 27 2020, 03:01 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 27 2020, 11:16 AM) *
I cut it off with a pair of snips. I'll take a look at welding the piece back in, so at least I still have the piece, even though it needs to be reshaped.

They were trying to weld/secure the broken clutch tube.

Do a search here on how to fix this correctly and make sure it is done well before you close that back up.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 27 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #11

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Trying to "Un-DAPO" the car.

I am still working on that myself!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I still want to know why they cut a hole behind the door latch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 27 2020, 04:11 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 27 2020, 02:44 PM) *

According to the Karmann production number, this car was made on 5 March 1973. My previous 914 was built in the last week of April 1973. This car has the foam wedge, but my previous car had a wooden floorboard and no foam.

Did these two cars fall across a running change? Or, did someone replace the foam wedge on my previous car with a wood board?

I think your previous car might have been modified. All the cars I've bought (about 20) either had foam or nothing. I thought it was some sort of compressed sawdust with a binder.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 27 2020, 04:46 PM
Post #13

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 27 2020, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 27 2020, 02:44 PM) *

I think your previous car might have been modified. All the cars I've bought (about 20) either had foam or nothing. I thought it was some sort of compressed sawdust with a binder.

It is definitely molded, compressed sawdust coated with shellac on the outside. I took the one for the 4.0L and carved out grooves for the DME wiring. Man what a mess! Once the outer layer was gone, that stuff went everywhere. By the time I got done, I was yellow with sawdust.

+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 27 2020, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 27 2020, 11:16 AM) *

They were trying to weld/secure the broken clutch tube.

Do a search here on how to fix this correctly and make sure it is done well before you close that back up.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Hmmm, good point. I'll definitely have to check that. It might also explain why they removed the clutch pedal stop from the driver's floor board. If that is the case, then they didn't fix it, since there's no sign of welding or other repair anywhere near the cable tube.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Trying to "Un-DAPO" the car.

I am still working on that myself!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I still want to know why they cut a hole behind the door latch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I believe the hole was cut to remove rust, so a new piece could be welded in. However, while the DAPO(s) could obviously operate drill bits, a hole saw and a cut-off wheel, I haven't found any signs of them doing any actual welding on the car. And trust me, this car is going to need a lot of welding to fix the DAPO damage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Fortunately, not as much welding as would normally be expected to fix rust, so that's a little relief.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 27 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I hope they disclosed all of those issues prior to the sale. Or, in the alternative, I hope you got a great deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
preach
post Jun 27 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #16

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 27 2020, 02:27 PM) *

It turns out that the car may have it's original spare tire.

It's a bias-ply Continental in 165R15, and still looks pretty nice on the top side (inside).

Here is my potential original from a 1972 I just picked up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=746212

I also have an Opel that I think I may have been the dumb arse prior owner of.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 27 2020, 07:42 PM) *

I hope they disclosed all of those issues prior to the sale. Or, in the alternative, I hope you got a great deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

No, and no.

In the seller's defense, I don't think he knew about all the problems, since he seemed more like someone who would take the car somewhere rather than work on it himself.

And, I got a reasonable deal on the car, but not a great one. If I had known about all of these issues, I would have pushed harder for a lower price. Once the car is fixed, it should be a good car. I think I'll live with the funky paint job for a while, before I worry about getting it repainted.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 27 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #18

So, continuing down the list of discoveries:

There was a mess of wires hanging down under the dash. Most of it is for the aftermarket radio, but there was one wire connected to a toggle switch under the dash.
Attached Image
One end of the switch was connected to ground. I dug into the dash and discovered the other end was spliced into the tach wire from the coil. So, it appears to be a shade-tree anti-theft device, grounding the coil to kill the ignition. However, that might also explain why the tach doesn't work.

Here are a couple more pics of how the fuel pump wire ran through the passenger compartment:
Attached Image Attached Image

Speaking of holes in the firewall, I found this lovely on the driver's side:
Attached Image
It wasn't connected to anything, but may have been a remote trunk release. Although, other than the hole in the firewall, I didn't find any other holes related to it.
Attached Image

The fuel pump wire hole and the pull handle hole are the largest holes drilled in the firewall, but there are at least 10 other holes of various sizes drill in it.

Under the car, I discovered that the original vinyl fuel hoses are still in the center tunnel. However, they did splice in new hoses between the firewall and the engine compartment (stock vinyl hoses in the engine compartment, too).
Attached Image

And, of course, none of the heating parts are connected. They did install new stainless heat exchangers and a muffler. However, they are for a 1.7, not a 2.0. But, they did not replace the muffler hanger with the correct one. Instead, they drilled new holes to move it upward and then created home-made adapter brackets to connect it to the muffler.
Attached Image

It turns out that the stainless heat exchangers are in really nice shape. Any chance anyone might want to trade these for some nice 2.0 exchangers? I'll eventually post pics in a "trade" post on the for-sale board, after I get a chance to wash them off.

Tomorrow, the plan is to drain the fuel, drop the engine and pull the tank (if there's time). Who knows what fun is lurking under the tank?
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 28 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

It turns out that the stainless heat exchangers are in really nice shape. Any chance anyone might want to trade these for some nice 2.0 exchangers? I'll eventually post pics in a "trade" post on the for-sale board, after I get a chance to wash them off.

The 1.7/1.8 SS heat exchangers have the same tube sizes as the 2.0. so no need to replace them. If you're anal about the muffler bracket you can easily find a 1.7/1.8 version.
have fun with the other fixes.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 28 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 28 2020, 03:35 PM) *

The 1.7/1.8 SS heat exchangers have the same tube sizes as the 2.0. so no need to replace them. If you're anal about the muffler bracket you can easily find a 1.7/1.8 version.
have fun with the other fixes.

Yeah, I know the tubes are the same size, and that the 1.7 exchangers will work just fine. However, I am kinda anal about making the car "right". And, I'd rather reinstall the exchangers just once if I can, rather than put these in for now and change them later on.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:51 AM