Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Valve adjuster squashed
nditiz1
post Jun 29 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So doing a valve adjustment i found #3 intake to be very loose. I started to adjust and then found this. Why/how did this happen?

Also, why are my leakdown tests consistently 20% leaking through the case? Rings? I did it cold and the engine looks to be rebuilt from how clean the inside of the heads were.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
nditiz1
post Jun 29 2020, 05:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That stinks Bob.

So I put a good used one in its place. Torqued it back up and move o to cylinder 4. Im hoping what I found here was a rocker shaft nut and nothing more. The nuts on shaft 3 are copper, not the stock ones. I believe the PO said he had to fix a rocker on number 3 lets hope this is the only hardware that got left behind

Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 29 2020, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 30 2020, 11:36 AM) *

That stinks Bob.

So I put a good used one in its place. Torqued it back up and move o to cylinder 4. Im hoping what I found here was a rocker shaft nut and nothing more. The nuts on shaft 3 are copper, not the stock ones. I believe the PO said he had to fix a rocker on number 3 lets hope this is the only hardware that got left behind

Shit that's not good,looks like the pushrod retainer spring hasn't been fitted properly and has chewed up your pushrods.
I would tear down rocker gear on both side and do a full R&R with everything done right.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jun 29 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 29 2020, 04:55 PM) *

Shit that's not good,looks like the pushrod retainer spring hasn't been fitted properly and has chewed up your pushrods.
I would tear down rocker gear on both side and do a full R&R with everything done right.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The pushrod wall material is pretty thick, but I'd always have a little voice in the back of my head questioning their integrity. It's just one of those parts that if it were to fail it would rain a lot of debris into the heart of your motor.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:14 AM