Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Double relay question on 74 1.8 liter, Doublerelay
Mcraneiowa
post Jul 2 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,387
Region Association: None

I’m excited to be back to the point of hooking up the wiring to the car after reinstalling the engine last night. Everything seems pretty straightforward up to this point except with the double relay. My 914 is a 74 1.8 L engine with fuel injection. My question is which side of the relay do I use? If it’s pointing down and I’m plugging in from the bottom do I hook too the left side or the right side? Currently I have it plugged into the left side but no power or anything hooked up to the car so I’m not worried about frying anything at this point I just don’t want to fry anything. Another question, why do we have a double relay if we only use one side? I appreciate the help thanks, Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Jul 2 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Jul 2 2020, 01:44 PM) *

I’m excited to be back to the point of hooking up the wiring to the car after reinstalling the engine last night. Everything seems pretty straightforward up to this point except with the double relay. My 914 is a 74 1.8 L engine with fuel injection. My question is which side of the relay do I use? If it’s pointing down and I’m plugging in from the bottom do I hook too the left side or the right side? Currently I have it plugged into the left side but no power or anything hooked up to the car so I’m not worried about frying anything at this point I just don’t want to fry anything. Another question, why do we have a double relay if we only use one side? I appreciate the help thanks, Mike

Mike, both sides of the double relay are used with L-Jet. There should be two plastic connectors that plug into it side by side. Here's the wiring set-up for it. Not sure if it is different for '74 and '75. This came from a thread on TheSamba.com called Something like Double Relay Explained..In Color. Hope this helps.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 2 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The double relay will have one connection that comes from the engine harness. It will have a mix of colored wires on it. The other side will come from the fuel injection harness, and it will have all white wires.

If you don't have both the car will not run. There will be a big red wire on the harness side that attaches to the battery. The engine harness will have an extra yellow wire with a spade connector hanging out alone at the 12 pin connector.

If you don't have that, you have the wrong engine harness.

Take pictures and we can help better.

Clay
+Quote Post
Mcraneiowa
post Jul 3 2020, 06:49 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 2 2020, 07:41 PM) *

The double relay will have one connection that comes from the engine harness. It will have a mix of colored wires on it. The other side will come from the fuel injection harness, and it will have all white wires.

If you don't have both the car will not run. There will be a big red wire on the harness side that attaches to the battery. The engine harness will have an extra yellow wire with a spade connector hanging out alone at the 12 pin connector.

Clay

Clay, thank you for the information. I was working late last night and just overlooked the other series of wires were kind of stuck down in among the spark plug wires. So I have both plugged in and hope to fire her up after several years of sitting. I really appreciate your help. The site is fantastic for helping some of us become familiar with our cars
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 3 2020, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Jul 3 2020, 07:49 AM) *

Clay

Clay, thank you for the information. I was working late last night and just overlooked the other series of wires were kind of stuck down in among the spark plug wires. So I have both plugged in and hope to fire her up after several years of sitting. I really appreciate your help. The site is fantastic for helping some of us become familiar with our cars

Now that both plugs are connected, run some basic tests.

1. Disconnect the yellow wire from the starter and turn the key. You should hear the fuel pump running.

2. Manually open the air flow meter flap. You should hear the fuel pump running.

3. Get a noid light, plug it into each injector connector and crank the car. The light should flash.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.tooldiscounter.com-1143-1593785955.1.jpg)

If all that works, you should be able to star the engine.

+Quote Post
Mcraneiowa
post Jul 3 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2020, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Jul 3 2020, 07:49 AM) *

Clay

Perfect. This the point I am at. Will start this process tomorrow. Appreciate your knowledge more than you know.

Now that both plugs are connected, run some basic tests.

1. Disconnect the yellow wire from the starter and turn the key. You should hear the fuel pump running.

2. Manually open the air flow meter flap. You should hear the fuel pump running.

3. Get a noid light, plug it into each injector connector and crank the car. The light should flash.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.tooldiscounter.com-1143-1593785955.1.jpg)

If all that works, you should be able to star the engine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:52 AM