Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heavy braking scares me, It doesn't lock up
911GT2
post Jul 3 2020, 02:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,773
Region Association: Europe

I've read over and over here that the stock brakes are sufficient and that the stock brakes should able to lock up the four wheels.

Although my car slows down, I can not get it to lock up. Even so, even considering the age of the car I think brakes are quite poor.

I've got 205 tires so it's not about lack of grip, but on the pedal the end feels quite soft. I've checked the lines, they are all good so only thing I can think of is moisture in the lines.

So after a flush, what's next, a more aggressive pad? Which one would be recommended?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 3 2020, 06:02 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

1) pads with higher COF
2) master cylinder brace (to prevent firewall flex)
3) adjust rear brake regulator
4) adjust pedal free play and rear venting clearance
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 3 2020, 06:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Jul 3 2020, 12:32 AM) *

I've read over and over here that the stock brakes are sufficient and that the stock brakes should able to lock up the four wheels.

Although my car slows down, I can not get it to lock up. Even so, even considering the age of the car I think brakes are quite poor.

I've got 205 tires so it's not about lack of grip, but on the pedal the end feels quite soft. I've checked the lines, they are all good so only thing I can think of is moisture in the lines.

So after a flush, what's next, a more aggressive pad? Which one would be recommended?

Install new OEM rubber flex lines....
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 3 2020, 06:25 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

First I'd try moving the seat up one notch and remember it has no power assist so you do have to push fairly hard.

-If you have no clue if the brake line hoses have ever been replaced now's the time, the inside of old hose swells shut. When bleeding if you have an extraordinarily small amount of fluid being bled is a sure sign that the hose has swelled shut. Weak brakes like you describe and dragging brakes are also signs of bad hoses.
-another cause is the rear calipers venting set incorrectly.
-Bad calipers,pads rotors, etc.

Our cars don't see a lot of road time. but that's not an excuse not to bleed the brakes every couple of years. At most every 3-4 years.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 3 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Jul 3 2020, 08:32 PM) *

Do a "vacuum suck out'' and get the old stuff out,better than doing a "pedal pump" out as you avoid moving shit around the system,the master cylinder generally suffers most and the cups can get torn up.
You should get a result if every other thing is good,otherwise you may find the m/cylinder is leaking by causing a soft pedal,it kinda feels like air in the system but its not.
If no luck you need to look @ a R&R of the master cylinder,good luck.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 3 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I suggest you change the flex lines, check the venting clearance, and check the proportioning valve on the firewall. If it is not working correctly, it can cause spongy brakes. So get it rebuilt to be sure.

Contact the Sultan of stopping, @Eric_Shea about the rebuild of the prop valve.

+Quote Post
911GT2
post Jul 5 2020, 06:08 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,773
Region Association: Europe

Thanks guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Baumgardner
post Jul 5 2020, 06:39 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,213
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Jul 3 2020, 04:32 AM) *

Been wondering about changing front brake calipers to an upgrade to BMW 320i...

Article:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...MW_calipers.htm
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 5 2020, 06:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

[quote name='Baumgardner' date='Jul 6 2020, 12:39 AM' post='2831108']
[quote name='911GT2' post='2830480' date='Jul 3 2020, 04:32 AM']

[/quote]

Many say it isn't an upgrade,general consensus is people don't bother doing this conversion
The stock brakes in good condition are very good.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 5 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Over the years, a lot of rear brake regulators got removed and replaced with a brass tee by geniuses who think they know everything...
+Quote Post
Baumgardner
post Jul 6 2020, 08:07 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,213
Region Association: Upper MidWest

[quote name='porschetub' date='Jul 5 2020, 08:03 PM' post='2831256']

[/quote]

Many say it isn't an upgrade,general consensus is people don't bother doing this conversion
[/quote]

I haven't heard otherwise, so you could very well be correct about that upgrade. I think a lot of the "braking" concerns are the natural reaction to the hyper sensitive power brakes on more modern cars. If you haven't driven a 914 in a long time, your first reaction on braking in a 914 might be "my god, my brakes don't work" as your life flashes before your eyes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 6 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

[quote name='Baumgardner' date='Jul 6 2020, 07:07 AM' post='2831387']
[quote name='porschetub' date='Jul 5 2020, 08:03 PM' post='2831256']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I haven't heard otherwise, so you could very well be correct about that upgrade. I think a lot of the "braking" concerns are the natural reaction to the hyper sensitive power brakes on more modern cars. If you haven't driven a 914 in a long time, your first reaction on braking in a 914 might be "my god, my brakes don't work" as your life flashes before your eyes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
[/quote]

Push harder Michael, she’ll stop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 6 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #13

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As others have said, start with the cheap stuff:

New stock rubber lines (Not SS lines unless you know how to preload them)
Adjust rear pad clearance
Flush the brake fluid if you can

After those two things, see how the brakes feel.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:43 AM