Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 save or seperate
jaredmcginness
post Jul 10 2020, 06:24 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So none of this is considered extreme?
I would call it extreme by most peoples standards. I am just a dreamer and want to see them all saved.

The suspension feels solid and the doors still close, which are both good signs.
Good, I wouldn't take the top off any time soon.

When you say buying sheet metal, do you mean factory stuff cut from cars?
Guys here often sell unused pieces from restorations. Typically RD or AA brand new parts. Cut outs too!

2 mysteries.... beside the accelerator pedal, and the rear of the center tunnel between the rear of the seats. is that normal ?
There's some butchery there. Full new floor pans cover all these areas.

Also is there a trick to get the seats to move?
The tracks are rusted to the hinge. Soak them with PB blast. On my passenger seat I actually had to break it out of place. Wobble back and forth. I tried for days and it just wouldn't budge.

Do you feel this is a rotisserie level repair?
Again, many will say yes. Depends on what you want the car to be... I am a fix it and drive it guy. Not a full restoration guy. I used turnbuckles and angle iron brace. Got the roof in spec, kept the top on and started removing metal. Once I verified the doors closed well.

All my comments are my experience and my opinion. Tons of other great advice here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 10 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Part it out. If you want a 914, buy a better one and use some of the parts from this one to fix things.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 10 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dont waist your time party,,,do a rough est. to the sum of all and move on....
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 10 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,495
Region Association: None

I feel like a quitter for not saving it, but honestly I’d rather spend $5-8k? On a solid car that I can get in and drive and enjoy now. My last 2 builds have been frame off or pan offs and they drag on for years because life gets in the way, I want to get in and carve the corners in this one!

Another issue, the title I have is not for the car. No fault to the guy who sold it to me, he didn’t lie about it at all. I had no real intentions to save it at first so I’m ok with that. I figured if I took the time to make it road worthy I’d take the time to get that straightened out.

I really appreciate all of your replies! Great advice both ways, no shamming me for considering parting, and positive advice on repairing.

In the trade for the car, it was for a $1000 car, so that’s what I have in it. Can I part it out and break even? I hate to ask this, but could I get some advice on what orgs are worth? I’ve searched eBay, but I don’t want to gouge people. I’d like to stay involved in this community because I plan to get another 914.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 10 2020, 09:57 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

My car was in about that shape and another build thread example in my signature. I think you've already got a clear eye for what's ahead. I'd just say, save it if you want a project. Either sell it or part it out if you don't. I've spent 3 years of almost all my spare time bringing mine back from the dead to a high level of restoration. No regrets because I wanted the project and the car has sentimental value. With the exception of machine work on the engine, I've done 100% of the labor and the car will probably be worth about what I have in it. My reward has been in learning new skills and the satisfaction of a job I'm proud of, but if what I really wanted was a car to drive, it would be a hard way to get there. For the same money, I could have bought a very nice #2 condition car which is I think what I have now.
+Quote Post
Tonyorlo
post Jul 11 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 16,495
Region Association: None

Thanks for the reply Brent. I’ve been like a teenage girl the last few days, one minute I’ll save it, the other I’m parting it out. I’ve wanted a 914 for years so I’ll get one eventually. When I first got an intrest in them it seemed like I could get a clean southern car for $3-5k. After searching all the classifieds I normally look at, I’m not seeing them for any less than $7k. There are clearly increasing in value, not that I care about resale value. I hate to let this car go when it could be saved, but there’s a ton of sheet metal that needs replaced. I’m really surprised to see all the replacement metal thats avibke for these cars. That’s a game changer honestly. I started watching YouTube videos of the guys who post videos of changing everything out. Im not so Leary of it now. I can barrow a friends rotisserie and probably bust it out pretty quick.

When I got the car I had some kind of plan of throwing it together and running the drivetrain as is. BUT if I change all this sheet metal I cans just leave the drivetrain alone. So this will snowball into something.
+Quote Post
MarioAndretti78
post Jul 12 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 24,258
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Tonyorlo @ Jul 9 2020, 07:20 PM) *

I just traded my 94 jag for this 914. I traded sight unseen, with cash on his end. I honestly expected it to be a total loss, but had a slight hope of saving it and making it a road worthy part time daily driver. Well there’s no chance of that. I just would like to gain you folks approval that this car is not worth saving. This is the second 914 I’ve bought, the first was for the drivetrain and it was very very rough. I’d love to get a 914 that I could drive, but life has been in the way.

Here are some pictures of the car. At the moment my plan is to part the car out.

Opinions? The car supposedly runs by the way.

If you do decide on part it out, I’m looking for a few parts out of the interior. I’d love to take em off your hands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silver914.jpg)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 12 2020, 11:13 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(Tonyorlo @ Jul 11 2020, 08:18 PM) *

Thanks for the reply Brent. I’ve been like a teenage girl the last few days, one minute I’ll save it, the other I’m parting it out. I’ve wanted a 914 for years so I’ll get one eventually. When I first got an intrest in them it seemed like I could get a clean southern car for $3-5k. After searching all the classifieds I normally look at, I’m not seeing them for any less than $7k. There are clearly increasing in value, not that I care about resale value. I hate to let this car go when it could be saved, but there’s a ton of sheet metal that needs replaced. I’m really surprised to see all the replacement metal thats avibke for these cars. That’s a game changer honestly. I started watching YouTube videos of the guys who post videos of changing everything out. Im not so Leary of it now. I can barrow a friends rotisserie and probably bust it out pretty quick.

When I got the car I had some kind of plan of throwing it together and running the drivetrain as is. BUT if I change all this sheet metal I cans just leave the drivetrain alone. So this will snowball into something.

Sounds like you are leaning toward a project and I love it. In your research, also read through the 'Restoration and Build Threads' forum. Jeff Hail's 'Bring Out Your Dead' thread in particular is excellent.

Here's a couple rough estimates from experience with my own lost cause project. These are ignoring time and labor costs and do all (and I mean ALL) of the labor yourself. The metal work needed in your pics is extensive but $5K can get you do a solid chassis in primer. Most of the metal is available but you'll need to fab or get donor parts for some areas that need repair. $20-$25K total on the project can get you to a car that is probably worth about $20-$25K. Contrary to what some have written, you CAN break even on these projects IF you don't count your time and don't pay anyone else for labor. For me, that investment includes a lot of tools I bought which will have after the project is over so in one sense, I'm in the black on the project.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Jul 12 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Tonyorlo @ Jul 10 2020, 05:55 PM) *

I feel like a quitter for not saving it, but honestly I’d rather spend $5-8k? On a solid car that I can get in and drive and enjoy now. My last 2 builds have been frame off or pan offs and they drag on for years because life gets in the way, I want to get in and carve the corners in this one!

Another issue, the title I have is not for the car. No fault to the guy who sold it to me, he didn’t lie about it at all. I had no real intentions to save it at first so I’m ok with that. I figured if I took the time to make it road worthy I’d take the time to get that straightened out.

I really appreciate all of your replies! Great advice both ways, no shamming me for considering parting, and positive advice on repairing.

In the trade for the car, it was for a $1000 car, so that’s what I have in it. Can I part it out and break even? I hate to ask this, but could I get some advice on what orgs are worth? I’ve searched eBay, but I don’t want to gouge people. I’d like to stay involved in this community because I plan to get another 914.

From what I see out there, a 5-8k car won’t be that much better structurally etc, it’ll just be a pretty pig
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 02:35 PM