Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPi needed at the CAMP!, please...
brokenmoped
post Jul 10 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,152

Hey,

I'd be very appreciative of anyone who could go take a look at a '74 track car for me. Here: http://www.camp914.com/projectcars.html (the white one with the rollcage). I know there's rust, but I just want to know how it rides and if the rust is repairable, or something is wrong with it, etc. because I most likely will not be flying to Oregon to look at a car - just not in the budget at this juncture. If anyone could do this for me it'd be great. Even if you can't do a PPi, your opinion on it would be great too.

Thanks a lot,

Corey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 10 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #2

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Camp914 is our own Craig (boxtr) Laughlin. I think you can trust that what he states the car to be like is how the car is. His reputation is impeccable.
+Quote Post
propricer
post Jul 10 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,938

Craig is a stand-up guy; you can take what he says to the bank - plus, he knows more than the normal PPI person you would find !
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 10 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have to agree, Craig is one of the most knowing people here on these cars, I would trust his word on the car, if he says it is a certain way, it will be that way.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 10 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the car is a sharp runner. i ran with craig and jim at the a-x in portland on the 3rd. a bit cosmeticly challanged, but a good starting platform. the ad at the camp914 website is an accurate discription of the car.

k
+Quote Post
brokenmoped
post Jul 10 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Wow...3 for 3...hmmm. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Well...I still kind of feel weary about just purchasing a car over the internet...but it sounds like Craig knows his stuff. My dad is going to talk to him tomorrow, so we'll see what happens (he's the one who doesn't want to go to Oregon for a car for his son...if it was a '27 Ford, then it'd be a different story (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) ). Still, if you guys could at least tell me what YOU think about the car, that'd be cool.

-Corey
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 10 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #7

i'll ask you this. have YOU read the ppi buyers guide at pelicanparts? read it, and print it so YOU know the right questions to ask. become an informed buyer.

k
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 10 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Another vouch for the Craig man... He will do right by you.

CCLINCRAIGROCKS
+Quote Post
ematulac
post Jul 10 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #9

914 addict

Member No.: 1,382

Another vouch for Craig. I recently asked Craig for his input on a 914 that I am purchasing since I knew he had already inquired about it.
+Quote Post
swood
post Jul 10 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 251

QUOTE (brokenmoped @ Jul 10 2005, 08:17 PM)
Wow...3 for 3...hmmm. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Well...I still kind of feel weary about just purchasing a car over the internet...but it sounds like Craig knows his stuff. My dad is going to talk to him tomorrow, so we'll see what happens (he's the one who doesn't want to go to Oregon for a car for his son...if it was a '27 Ford, then it'd be a different story (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) ). Still, if you guys could at least tell me what YOU think about the car, that'd be cool.

-Corey

4 for 4.

CCLINNEEDSNOVOUCHER

+Quote Post
brokenmoped
post Jul 10 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #11

i'll ask you this. have YOU read the ppi buyers guide at pelicanparts? read it, and print it so YOU know the right questions to ask. become an informed buyer.

Yes, I have read that several times and how do you know that I am not an informed buyer? How do you know I haven't already asked Craig every question on there? I'm asking for the opinions of others which is something everyone should do when making any purchase. I'm sure I'm not as informed as you, but I'm at least asking people questions to gain further knowledge.

So far everyone has just said how reliable and great a guy Craig is, that's awesome and does help a lot, but I really want to know what they themselves think of this particular car, not neccessarily the person selling it. Don't get me wrong, thanks for backing up this guy and convincing me on how great a guy he is, but what do you think of this car?

Thanks,

Corey
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 10 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #12

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

It depends on what YOU want to do with the car you buy. AX? DE? Different things mean different cars. All we're saying is the car will be as Craig advertizes it. If it's what YOU want in a 914, go for it. Just my .02
+Quote Post
brokenmoped
post Jul 11 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #13

markb - You're right, I didn't say what the car is intended for. I'm looking for a car that can be both my daily driver and a car I can take out for track days.

I guess I'm really just second guessing myself on making a hefty purchase. I'm so anxious to get behind the wheel of one of these go-carts that I'm loosing sight of my own opinion (know what I mean?).

The car seems right for me - I don't know about the price - but I could be wrong. I'll just have to see what my dad thinks about the whole situation of buying a car without being near it (take in consideration that he's never bought ANYTHING over the internet before). I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

-Corey
+Quote Post
ematulac
post Jul 11 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #14

914 addict

Member No.: 1,382

From the ad, it sounds like a fair price.

It's got minmal rust, a 2.0L engine, Fuchs, Koni's all around, and the interior looks like it's in good condition. In addition, it already has a rollbar and an oil cooler installed. If you buy a cheaper/lesser car that doesn't have any or all of that, you are going to spend a lot of time and money just to get it to this point.

It sounds like the only thing it would need for the track is to install the front sway bar. Some of the more experienced AX'ers would say to remove the rear sway bar, too. You might also want to find out if the front suspension and/or brakes have been upgraded. That would be a big bonus.

Sounds like you've already spoken to Craig. Any additional info you can give us about the car?

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 11 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #15

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you are buying something from craig's "Project" section, expect just that. Craig is a stand-up guy, and I don't think he'd do anything to tarnish his reputation here.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car from him sight-unseen and have it shipped from him in Oregon to me in Cleveland, OH.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 11 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #16

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (brokenmoped @ Jul 11 2005, 01:33 AM)
how do you know that I am not an informed buyer? How do you know I haven't already asked Craig every question on there?

calm down - it was just general advice. you'd be surprisd how many people don't take that advice. you have - cool.

okay - my take on THE CAR...

add up what's included and it sounds like a killer deal to me. front cooler - installed, along with the GT bumper and valance (no hack job or halfway measures). it doesn't have, and isn't represented as having, a cage; it has an Autopower (a good, reliable, sanctioning-body recognised, knowledgeable maker) roll bar with a Petty bar (that diagonal that extends from the crossbeam into the passengre footwell. most of those are removable, which is a nice feature (IMO) for a street car. i'd ask Craig about that, just so you know. i'd probably spring for the RH seat - it's already installed and worth the $300.

i think it speaks volumes that Craig is willing to show the trunk and battery tray. looks like surface rust ("they all do that" ...) that can be addressed with time, a wire brush, and some POR-15.

as stated in the description, it is a project car that will require some finishing, and there is no question that it looks a bit ratty on the outside. if you are the kind of person that can't live with that, this may not be the car for you. (some people can deal with a sound but ratty car, and some can't, and that's not a value judgement, but it's important to know which group you're in.)

the work remaining seems to me to be in the "low payoff" category - a bit labor intensive, necessary, doesn't bump the value much, which is why Craig is willing to offer it as a project car and not a $7500 "done" car.

-i- would drive cross-country for a car that Craig represents. i understand your generalised reluctance to accept the word of a seller, but Craig would rather have a happy customer in the community than make a quick buck. he gets a LOT of repeat business.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 11 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #17

like rich said. the front sway bar is no big deal to install either. a stock unit can be sourced rather inexspensively. remove the fuel tank, a hole saw, a little grinding, one of engman's backing plate kits, weld the kit, some new bushings, and you're in business. i think al blose and i did his in about couple of hours, start to finnish at a leisurely pace. that included new fuel lines while the tank was out. sooner a good running chassis with minimal rust, than a pretty paint job with a horror story of rust hiding beneath.

k
+Quote Post
bmcwilli
post Jul 11 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,998

I have bought 5 different vehicles via ebay. All but ONE of them was as represented. I did not have the confidence of a 914club to back the seller's integrity. At the end of the day it came down to trust, developed after telephone conversations.

I don't know Craig, but I know his rep. Like e'one else says, if this is the TYPE car you're looking for (and you have the word of a club memeber that it runs great) go for it.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 11 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #19

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'll vouch for Craig too... stand-up guy, has really helped me find some hard-to find stuff and sold it to me at VERY REASONABLE prices... he's grade-a!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 11 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #20

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have had a few dealings with Craig for parts, cars and work. He is an honest Man. I have no problems taking his word as gold. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I think that is a fair price for that car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:47 AM